PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes/ How Often?

oldmower
08-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I have an old mower with a FB460V engine. When I bought it the oil was fresh. I have about 10 hours on it. How often should I change the oil and what type and weight should I use?
Oldy

Leisure Time Lawn Care
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
I change mine in the beginning of the season and every 50 hours after that.
I use Sae 30 in all my mowers and I use NAPA brand oil.

Bill Kapaun
08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
You'll get a lot of opinions on oil, so I'll give mine-
I like a diesel rated oil such as DELO 400 or Shell Rotella. The diesel rated oils tend to have a better package of anti wear/scuff additives such as phosphorus & zinc. These are absent in "automotive" oils, since they "poison" catalytic converters.
I'd change the oil & filter at least once per year, even if you don't run it for the full "quota" of hours.
I like to change it before storing for the Winter myself.

Other oil filter options-
Kawasaki 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI bypass
Gasket 2.475"OD 2.173"ID 0.233" thick.
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Baldwin AC MotorCraft Fram JD Walmart
2.98" 51394 L14476 LF410 B33 PF1233 FL836 PH4967 AM107423 ST4967
3.4" 51396 L14477 LF413 B37 NA NA PH4386 NA ST4386

Wix Makes NAPA Gold and CarQuest Blue filters
For a NAPA filter, use the last 4 digits of the Wix#
For a CarQuest filter, replace the first 2 digits of the Wix# with 85.
Example. Wix 51334 becomes CarQuest 85334 or NAPA Gold 1334.

themowerman
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
As per the owners manual....engine oil should be changed every 25hrs and oil filter every other oil change. They are calling for 30wt oil.

oldmower
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your input.

Mark in MD
08-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I know this is not recommended, and this might sound crazy, but I will tell you what I do.

I change the oil and filter every spring.

I check the oil level every time I buy gas and add as necessary. I use SAE 30.

That's it.

Used daily, my Kaw and Honda engines last more than ten years. They average around 15 years. They don't last twenty years.

My rationalization is it's easier to buy a new engine every 15 years than it is to change oil every week or two for 15 years.

lawnmaniac883
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Every 75 to 100 hours on mine.

cranesrule
08-12-2007, 03:17 PM
If you run 50 or less hours per year, just change it each spring along with the filter. Otherwise, look at your yearly usage and decide when to change it. For example if you mow 80hrs per year, change it at 40. I you mow 70, change it at 35. If you mow a ton of hours , just get on a good schedule of every 40 or 50 hrs. I use Castrol GTX 10w30 in my Honda, use whatever weight the manual calls for. I don't think any of us know more than the manufacturer about what weight oil should be used. I also change the filter every time, just my personal preference. Even more important is AIR FILTER maintenance, always keep that thing clean and replace it at the recommended interval.

jestal
08-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Using the straight 30 is not going to hurt anything but the requirement for straight 30 in many older machines goes back to the days of poor quality viscosity improvers in multivis oils causing ring sticking. No such problem with modern multi-vis oils so using them is perfectly fine.

The Rotella/Delo/Delvac diesel rated oils are excellent products for the reasons Bill Kapaun mentions. Note that all these oils meet all the current API diesel performance specifications as well as all current gasoline API specs. They are called "diesel" oils only to differentiate them from the ILSAC "For Gasoline Engine" rated oils that are really not the best choice for heavy duty and general engine use due to the lower ZDP content and the friction modifiers added for fuel economy improvement.

Why on earth would anyone put a machine away for the winter with dirty oil in it to change it in the spring?? Always store the machines with clean oil. Used oil is full of contaminates and is diluted with fuel and water from blowby. In day to day use this is fine and the additive package in the oil will accomodate this but putting the machine away for months with the old oil in it gives ample opportunity for acids to start to form and damage from corrosion to occur. Always change the oil at the end of the season and store with fresh oil if you are only going to change it once a year.