PDA

View Full Version : Lawn striping

OwnAccord
08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
I am new to mowing and use a 32" walk behind. I am not getting many stripes when mowing....

I currently have the mower set up for mulching. Will I get better results if I use the side discharge?

I do not have a striping/roller attached to the mower but I would still expect to get stripes like so many of the other commercial mowers that I am seeing.

Thanks for any help

cgaengineer
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Are you running the rear of the deck 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher then front. I am not 100% convinced this helps, but have read that it does.

OwnAccord
08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I am running 1/2 inch higher in the back

MJS
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
How high are you mowing? That can make a huge difference. Tall grass usually stripes better than really short grass.

SSS 18734
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
What type of grass are you cutting? The type of grass and the quality of turf makes the biggest difference. My 34" stripes some yards beautifully, but on others it just leaves ugly tire marks.

Capemay Eagle
08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
The way it seems that if you want stripes like a baseball field you have to have some sort of stripe kit. There are some easy ways to make some homemade kits or you can get a roller. Some people on here have told me that you don't need a stripe kit to have stripes, this may be true for some, but on my lawn you definitely need a kit, I have also tried to use the same pattern every cut and have learned to cut a little wider which has made a big difference.

DeepMudRancher
08-04-2007, 11:28 PM
haha, does your yard not burn if you mow the same way every time eagle?!??

If you double cut green grass at 3.5, you should get good stripes, i wouldnt do a striping kit, big waste of money i think, and dont see how it could be good for
the grass. i use the sulky as a stripe kit...haha

lawnstriper23
08-05-2007, 05:16 PM

If you double cut green grass at 3.5, you should get good stripes, i wouldnt do a striping kit, big waste of money i think, and dont see how it could be good for
the grass. i use the sulky as a stripe kit...haha

I made my striper for about $3. Don't think that was a big waste of money either. Works great and produces the best stripes in the neighborhood. Matter of fact, I have made three other stripers for my brothers and father-in-law and they work great.

OwnAccord
08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
striper23, can you tell me how you made a striper? What materials did you use? thanks for any details

lawnstriper23
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I will try to post some pix of my 21" W.B. mower set up later tonight. Very easy to make and install and doesn't cost but a couple of dollars........

Capemay Eagle
08-06-2007, 11:37 AM

the grass. i use the sulky as a stripe kit...hahahaha. You double cut the grass but it is a waste of off money to add a stiper???

All_Toro_4ME
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I used a threaded rod, nuts and chains that I got all from Lowe's and mounted it to the rear of the Z. Stripes wonderfully. Can get costly depending on the types of chains you use.

lawnstriper23
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
haha. You double cut the grass but it is a waste of off money to add a stiper???

haha, Why is it a waste of money to add a striper? haha, if you are going for the plaid, checkerboard or even diamond effect then double cutting is a must..haha..
BTW, WTF is up with the haha crap?

OwnAccord
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Can I see some pictures or get some detail on how you made a striping kit? How did you use chains??? Did you also use casters or wheels?

Thanks for any info

Capemay Eagle
08-08-2007, 07:42 PM
haha, Why is it a waste of money to add a striper? haha, if you are going for the plaid, checkerboard or even diamond effect then double cutting is a must..haha..
BTW, WTF is up with the haha crap?
OK before you post be sure to read the replys correctly.

This guy is saying that that he cuts the same strip of grass twice to get a stripe, instead of just adding a simple stripe kit, I would say that is a waste. I have a homemade stripe kit, so how could I say it is a waste to add one?? I have even posted a pic of my homemade stripe kit. And last he is the one with the haha crap, so go attack him..Were all just here to help each other and give opinions man