PDA

View Full Version : Plow folks

tthomass
08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm mostly interested in talking to those in the northern VA area about plowing. I've read up on things but still trying to get a grasp on things here in my area. I know there is plowsite and I'm posted on there but just seems dead not being "season". If you don't mine, shoot me a PM.

I'm looking to use a '02 2500HD and a T190.

Thanks.

grassmanak
08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
what are you wanting to know, do you have plows now, clients?? commercial or residential

FearThisDeere
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Try Plowsite.com. There are tons of great people over there that can help you out.

Mike33
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Im very active in plow site forum during winter months and havent run across many people from your area.
Mike

tthomass
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Like I said, I feel plowsite is a little dead this time of year.

I have to yet to price out but Meyer is most common in my area. Probably because they are the cheapest. I've heard a few bad things about their pumps but don't know if such issues have been fixed now.

Western is nice but I'm not going to pay a lot of extra $ just to admit I'm too lazy to hook up a plow.......people fuss about Meyer but I've never had much issue at all hooking them up.

So, Chevy = no plow yet. For the T190 I already have a snow bucket and will need to find a home for this machine......I assume commercial.

I am debating working as a sub (easy) or seeking my own accounts ($). I am torn on hourly rate as well. I see signs all over the place for $80 per hour. After the expense, the over time, the hours and hours at which the work is done.......$80hr sucks. I've had a couple landscapers tell me I can have all the work I want at $110hr billing. I also debating working under VDOT.

As for the T190, I'm clueless on its rate. From speaking with others and reading around I've seen Bobcat work go for $45hr to $120hr+.......that is a heck of a range in my area.

I don't believe snow removal is as simple as overhead + profit. It is a needed service that is sold on its value and perhaps overpriced. If I'm doing this I want to have a much better idea of the market(s) around me and of course, make as much $ as possible. After all, 2am I should be asleep not working.

Thanks for any insight.

TWUllc
08-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Personally, I would seek 1-3 commercial sites as close to your location as possible, and do them with just your T190. Use your Chevy to move and spread salt. Use the International to transport the T190, and keep a plow off the Chevy. Or buy a beater w/ plow and use that.

BMFD92
08-03-2007, 08:53 AM
western and fisher are good plows. They are worth the extra $

tthomass
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Whatever site the T190 is used for I would deliver prior to the storm. Good idea on getting a few commercial sites and 'tag teaming' them with the truck and T190.

One thing on that though.......the International will very much most likely not be moving in a storm until roads are clear. All depends.

On the other hand there is no problem with putting a plow on the Chevy.....I would be driving it myself. Not that I'm perfect but when you own the tool you tend to take much better care, just in case.

Mike33
08-03-2007, 05:38 PM
boss v-plow
mike

TWUllc
08-03-2007, 06:45 PM
tthomas, I'd just hate for you to tear the chevy up w/ a plow.

Mike33
08-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Short on time earlier thomas but i have been plowing since 94 and boss worked the best for me. I had bad luck with meyer, i actually carerried 500.00 worth of spare parts with me and a back up pump. I thought it was a way of life for plow to break down. I did good maintance also, they just have issues with little stupid things happening. There is actually to much happening in that little pump to break. I went to boss 2 years ago and never had problems. When you commercial snow plow 12-20 straight hours you need good equiptment. I dont feel on the long term meyer can do this. I still keep there parts for my sub drivers i have to fix them so they can keep working for me. For example: Meyer has a valves a. b. and c they are all different so you need to have access to 3 differeent valves if problem arises. Boss valves are all the same up-down-left- right-scoop. You only need 1 to cover all. Meyer has there own fluid not to freeze to say -30 thats bull crap it freezes. Boss and western uses auto tranny fluid, ever seen a auto-matic tranny freeze? I strong suggest for commercial use buy RED. I like boss but western is very good also. One last thing 1 time after a snow i was at a large shop in my area and the plow mechanic said if you want to elimanate problems buy red look at the bench full of yellow ones needing repair and no red ones. They was a dealer for meyer, boss, and western.
MIke

FearThisDeere
08-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Like I said, I feel plowsite is a little dead this time of year.

Sorry, didn't read that! Good luck.

patpls
08-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey Thomas, I have a 2500hd and bobcat with plow here in Mn. 1 storm this year needed extra help and rented a t190 for the day. We do townhomes slighly raised driveways, back drag to the street then push with the trucks. For reasons unknown the t190 would just spin its tracks at the slightest incline 45 mins of trying we took it back and picked up a wheeled machine. I'm not saying anything except my 1 experience was less than satisfying with tracks. It was the second storm in 2 days so the deck was slippery, but it was winter so....
just my .02

tthomass
08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I have a snow bucket for the T190.......it is 1' wider then the machine to keep the surface clear for hte tracks.

Ice, well your screwed with anything you've got.

tthomass
08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
On buying a plow........

All new

-or-

Used plow and buy a new mount for it to fit my truck

Seeing if there is anything much I can save as I don't know what individual parts cost. Saturday I tried to stop by a local shop that sells plows but they were closed.

dozerman21
08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Thomas, I have a 2500hd and bobcat with plow here in Mn. 1 storm this year needed extra help and rented a t190 for the day. We do townhomes slighly raised driveways, back drag to the street then push with the trucks. For reasons unknown the t190 would just spin its tracks at the slightest incline 45 mins of trying we took it back and picked up a wheeled machine. I'm not saying anything except my 1 experience was less than satisfying with tracks. It was the second storm in 2 days so the deck was slippery, but it was winter so....
just my .02

tthomas- I had a T300 that I tried to use a few times to plow snow, and unless it was a fresh snow that hadn't been driven on, it would sit and spin. I don't know if it's weight distribution, tread pattern, or what, but my Deere CTL that also has a rigid U/C works great. If I was on packed snow at all, the Bobcat would barely even move itself, let alone push snow.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the T190, but you may want to try it first before you buy a blade or box for it.

On the brands, I had a Meyer straight blade and never had one problem with it. It was very reliable but kind of a PIA to put on. I'm sure they've improved the newer ones. I switched to a poly Boss V and after 4 seasons still love it. The only repairs were to the cutting edge. I've chipped the inside part 3 times. That blade doesn't trip like a straight blade, so plowing a new lot is a little trickier. You also have to replace the rubber puck in the middle every year. Boss now offer curved cutting edges that eliminates the puck. They're around $400 a set though. The hydraulics on the Boss are very quick, and I like the joystick controller.

tthomass
08-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I have a snow bucket for the T190.......it is 1' wider then the machine to keep the surface clear for hte tracks.

Ice, well your screwed with anything you've got.

Hope it works okay. I've had a few people tell me tracks are a no go in snow but I think they may have been using a regular bucket. I am hoping that the snow bucket I have will do the trick being that it is wider.

Grn Mtn
08-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hope it works okay. I've had a few people tell me tracks are a no go in snow but I think they may have been using a regular bucket. I am hoping that the snow bucket I have will do the trick being that it is wider.

saying tracks don't work is like saying tires don't work. I would suppose it depends on the type of track, just like all-seasons suck and snows are much better.

what will help you tremendously is if you can use it on a lot that you get to salt. this way the salt brine keeps the ice crystals from locking into the pavement and slipping won't be an issue.

a "v" plow is very handy for smaller parking lots or cleaning up windrows, but an 8' straight with some prowings is a hell of a lot cheaper and does a great job. the wings add almost 2' to your plow width and the angle helps keep spillage to a minimum. the rubber ends can also sweep the curbs without cracking them.

to help avoid getting screwed by mother nature try to mix up your contracts by having some prepaid and some pay as you go. and definitely have "cya" contract.

I don't know much about N.VA snow but i'd be happy to fire off some answers if you pm me. -by the way I have the same screen name on plowsite and have posted tons of pictures of my equipment.

tthomass
08-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm taking the dive and buying a Boss 8' plow tomorrow. I'll pick up one truck from one shop and drop the other truck off at another.......who knew it costs $ to run a business?? hmph

TWUllc
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm taking the dive and buying a Boss 8' plow tomorrow. I'll pick up one truck from one shop and drop the other truck off at another.......who knew it costs $ to run a business?? hmph

:laugh: Good one. You planning on purchasing a spreader too?

tthomass
08-09-2007, 10:17 PM
No spreader at this point. I do not even know the pricing as the plow is my main focus. I am going to talk it over with who I am subbing under and see what need is there.......then I'll know to purchase or not.

tthomass
08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Helpful insight into insurance policies and companies to consider? I am awaiting a qoute this Monday but have been told expect about $2,000 payable with or without snow (as I would expect but of course a slow winter would hurt there).

Workers comp another $8.50ish per $100.

Thanks.

tthomass
08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Also, what about plowing for VDOT (state)? I was told of insurance benefits or portions of coverage or something along those lines. Its the weekend so info is limited.

Thanks for the help.