PDA

View Full Version : My new toys!

Matts lawn care
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Here is one of my two new toys. A Craftsman 40" front mount dethatcher. Yes you heard me Craftsman. It was built pretty well all I need to do is add support in a few places. Easy engagement and out of the way. it does make my mower a bit long but its worth it. my second toy is a Craftsman 42" tow behind core aerator. It was the most heavy duty I could find. my plan for this is add 2 caster wheels to the front a mounting bar and a liner actuator. basically another version of the JRCO aerator. Best of all I got all this for $350. (sears had a sale!) Here are the pictures of the dethatcher sorry it was kind of dark when I took them. Tell me what you think.

RedMax Man
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Wrong time of the season for dethatching right? I do it in the spring. But still looks good but also funny with one middle wheel. Beat the price of a Jrco by far.

Supper Grassy
08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice, they look like the perfect fit on that mower

Capemay Eagle
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Any advantage to the front mount vs the rear tow detacher??I would like to see the aerator is you have a pic.

grassmanak
08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Any advantage to the front mount vs the rear tow detacher??I would like to see the aerator is you have a pic.

was that a serious question, do you like to have to go back over it a second time to pick up the thatch or all in one pass

Matts lawn care
08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Redmax Man: I dethatch in spring also but could not resist trying it out.

Capemay Eagle: Yes with the dethatcher in the front I can dethatch mow and bag thatch all at once! I will take some pictures of the aerator when I build it tomorrow. It wont be done for at least a week or 2 because I still have to order caster wheels and figure out how much travel I need for the actuator.

duke99
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
those thatchers are cool and nifty ... i just bought one myself .. and put it on the front of my 36' walk behind .... although i got my on sale for $127.00 .... makes my job alot easier then pullin one and then having to go back over it and collect up the grass ....

Matts lawn care
08-20-2007, 12:25 AM
those thatchers are cool and nifty ... i just bought one myself .. and put it on the front of my 36' walk behind .... although i got my on sale for $127.00 .... makes my job alot easier then pullin one and then having to go back over it and collect up the grass ....

Yep I got the same sale you did. Nothing like cutting your work time in 1/2 and still getting payed the same!

Kid With A Mower
08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Lookin good Matt. But how do you collect the thatch? Hows that RTZ holding up for ya?

Matts lawn care
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Its getting me there. I broke the cable that holds the left side of the deck for the second time Friday so I decided to re-design it and use a chain instead. It is running strong with 140 hours. Next year it will become my backup mower. I have a bagger to collect thatch.

duke99
08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
well with anything in this world work less and EARN MORE is the name of the game !!! ... i cant believe JRCO has the same thing for $600 .. a thatcher is a thatcher .. i guess it depends on what its made out of ..

grntmbfisher
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
i know this thread is old but how did you like the dethatcher? is it still working? i was thinking about doing the same thing as you with redesigning the aerator, how did it turn out? do you have any pictures of it?

Matts lawn care
12-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I never had time to modify the aerator before before people started calling so I just towed it. After the fourth lawn all the tines were missing but 5 or6.

(the pos aerator)six.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124328000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Tractor+Attachments&sName=Aerators+%26+Dethatchers

Then I got a different type... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124328000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Tractor+Attachments&sName=Aerators+%26+Dethatchers
This one works much better and will be one of my winter projects.

I have not used the dethatcher on any lawns yet but I will bring this thread back in the spring and let you know.

roguesuerte
12-21-2007, 11:21 PM
It looks like there is alot of space between the tines of the thatcher, as opposed to a dedicated walk-behind unit(I have a Bluebird). How does it work for you?