PDA

View Full Version : Post your weekly project photos here.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lite4
08-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Hopefully we can keep this thread updated with daily and weekly project photos from all who contribute to this site. Show us any size, or any part of a job you may have just completed. This should be a fun posting we can all have a good time with. Happy shooting.

mattfromNY
08-02-2007, 09:45 PM
That is cool!

carcrz
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I like the shadow people. Those are cool!

klkanders
08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Looks good Tim! I thought you had some Aliens on the first 2 pics til I saw the 3rd.
On a side note I found a different brand of the waterproof heat shrink crimp tubes at Menards here locally. CALTERM 10 in a pack for about 5 bucks.
Thanks for the tip they have worked great for me so far!

TXNSLighting
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Just completed this one last night.

Lite4
08-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Last nights pics

Turf Troll
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Tim,

Where does the wire run for the boulder with the lamp on the top?

Jim

Lite4
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I core drilled the boulder and ran the wire up through the rock when I set it in place. I then chisseled out a flat spot for the light.

BrandonV
08-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Here's one we finished up in Martinsville, VA. pretty much came in a tore out the half completed water feature another contractor was attempting to build, built the current one, did all the walls/steps/patios and when we were almost finished they requested lights.... drilling through those completed stone walls was not fun:cry: anyway it turned out real nice. Unfortunately when i was taking these photos its was raining and since its a 2hr drive I haven't been able to get back up and do it again.

Lite4
08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Brandon, that's beautiflul hardscaping. Nice job.

TXNSLighting
08-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Sure looks good.

N.H.BOY
08-05-2007, 07:54 PM
man you guys do GREAT work and it keep the pic's coming I really enjoy looking at these.

Pro-Scapes
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
little over exposed but its the clearest one I got. The upper windows will be lit up soon as the gutters go in. All Cast install. Took 5 hours solo.
Only thing SUPER special about this job is the client was THRILLED and we exceeded thier expectations. Keep in mind there is NO hot spots in the actual job. I just have not mastered my DLSR cam yet.

klkanders
08-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Very Nice Billy! Also I am sending you a PM

Lite4
08-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Nice Job, What do got 20's on the pillars and 35's on the brick?

SamIV
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Looks great Billy. But if you want better photo's, get the lens I told you about and shoot and process in RAW first. I bet all 20 watt Ushio lamps.

Pro-Scapes
08-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Burts right... all 20w ushios. The pillars have a stack in em of louvers and frosted lenses. Its really soft and inviting at night.

Burt email me some links on ebay for thoes lenses... I still really dont know what I am looking for other than a 20mm prime automatic.

You guys got to see what we will be doing out back of this home... about 6 moonlights. 2 large oaks to light...a gazebo on the water and possibly an underwater fishlight if Mr Gosselin will share his secrets of them.

This is a classic example of how not to judge a client by what they drive or how expensive thier home is. This home here is well under 200k. One of the nicest most modest clients I ever worked for.

NightScenes
08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Billy, I have a local guy who builds and installs the underwater lights for me. I can get you some info on someone that can send you a kit that's ready to install though.

DMAN
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Billy,

What is a good fixture to use on gutters or eave lighting that comes in white? I was contemplating using the new kichler fixture 15498 but it is a mr-11. Thanks for your response.

DMAN

NightScenes
08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Dman, Vista will allow you to order just about any fixture in white.

Chris J
08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
You may want to call Kichler customer service. I have installed the 15087's in the past in white. I know it doesn't show white as an option in the current catalog, but this may be a misprint. It used to be available in an MR16 downlight option. Please provide feedback as this will probably come up again in the future (at least for me it will).
Good luck,

High Performance Lighting
08-11-2007, 12:27 AM
You may want to call Kichler customer service. I have installed the 15087's in the past in white. I know it doesn't show white as an option in the current catalog, but this may be a misprint. It used to be available in an MR16 downlight option. Please provide feedback as this will probably come up again in the future (at least for me it will).
Good luck,

Do like some of the low end product providers do and take a spray can to it. Oy Vey!

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I dont like to install painted fixtures. Why do you need white ? are the shingles white ? afterall if you install in the gutter wont the actual backdrop be the shingles ?

As to fixture suggestion I think it has to depend on how big of an area you want to light and how close the area to be lit is from the fixture location. It could vary from a small wash light to a bullet type light.

DMAN
08-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Billy,

the fixture needs to be mounted just above the gutter on a piece of wide trim and the light will cast up to the eave (which has a coin just below it) from there. the back ground of the fixture spot is actually cream colored stucco. I hope I explained it well for you. I will try to post a pic soon. I thought white would kind of blend in with the stucco. I was trying to find a mr16 fixture that was small in size and could be used as an uplight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Darron

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2007, 01:26 PM
There are a number of uplights avalible in a painted finish from Kichler, vista and others. Pick which one works best for you from thier catalogs and pray the finish stays intact. I would make sure its a powder coat and not just some Krylon or rustoleum on there.

I still much preffer a raw unfinished metal such as copper brass or bronze.

Lite4
08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Some of last nights photos.

TXNSLighting
08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
I love that house, it looks great! You did a good job!

Pro-Scapes
08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I dont care for the path lights in that style. I think they are a bit obnoxious during the day but I do like your design and photos very much. Great work. Potatoe farmers got it going on up there huh.

How come you didnt downlight this from the soffits especially by the garage where that ledge is cutting you off ? I know sometimes its cost or constructive prohibative for you to get in corners like that. Just would like to know if you considered it. I do also try to conceal fixtures a bit more. Alot of times I bring 1 gal aztec grasses with me and try to detract from any fixtures.

I got pics of another but my card reader crapped out so I gotta find my USB cable or get a new reader.

High Performance Lighting
08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Some of last nights photos.

Beautiful Tim. You are a true pro.

Lite4
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks Mike. Billy, the house was already built and no access to the soffits, otherwise would have been great. The path lights were chosen by his wife. I don't really care for them either, one of the uglier Vista fixtures but she had em at her old house and wanted to use em again. This system was installed 3 years ago, and did his annual last weekend. I shot some new photos with the more mature plant material.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Here's one from a couple of weeks ago.

Chris J
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Tim / Paul,
Very nice work. I would have responded sooner but I was a bit pre-occupied with another situation. Everytime one of you guys puts up a great photo like these, it reminds me that I need to buy and learn a good camera! :drinkup:

Lite4
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Looks good Paul, Thats a sweet lookin house. I like the moonlighting from the tree onto the driveway. Stone looks nice lit up too.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I forgot to add this one.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks Tim, yours looks quite nice as well.

Chris J
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Paul,
What fixture are you using to wash the front walls? I know the exposure is making it look a little hot on film.

Lite4
08-16-2007, 10:03 PM
hey Chris, I just got a Nikon D40X. Not top of the line but a pretty good shooter nonetheless. It is amazing how much better the photos it takes are. I still can't seem to get mine in very good focus. My aperature settings range from 11-16 like the parrot man said, but I still have much more to learn.

Lite4
08-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I didn't see the next picture come through Paul.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm using a combination of Kichlers 15384s with bab 60s and frosted lenses and also 15385s. The actual look is very even and warm.

Chris J
08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I need to go back through the archives and read up on the top picks for camera options. I wish there was a camera out there that you could put on auto, and do nothing but change the exposure time. I would be willing to pay hansomly for that kind of idiot proof camera. Yours does take really nice pictures though (or you do I should say).

Chris J
08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Nice touch on the dormers Paul.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Chris, I use a Canon EOS Rebel XT and put it on auto/no flash and it works great! I do clean it up a little using auto settings and shadow/highlight in photoshop though.

Lite4
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks Chris, you will be able to as well with good lenses.

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Nice touch on the dormers Paul.

Thanks Chris, just some MR11 fixtures with frosted lenses.

TXNSLighting
08-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Looks great paul. Those dormers turned out nice. Love your work. Love the moon lighting to.

BUSH LOVER
08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
cast lighting has the best photos i've ever seen.

Pro-Scapes
08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
whats the deal ? Texas night scapes and nightscapes... You franchising out paul ?

NightScenes
08-17-2007, 11:02 PM
No Billy, I'm not franchising. I'm just going to say that my attorney is working on this issue.

Pro-Scapes
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
No Billy, I'm not franchising. I'm just going to say that my attorney is working on this issue.

Ruh roh raggy

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I need to go back through the archives and read up on the top picks for camera options. I wish there was a camera out there that you could put on auto, and do nothing but change the exposure time. I would be willing to pay hansomly for that kind of idiot proof camera. Yours does take really nice pictures though (or you do I should say).

Hi Chris: For years I got excellent results from my Canon G3. (current version is a Canon G6) It is a great full function camera for taking great shots in all circumstances. All of the photography on my web site ( www.integralighting.com ) was taken with this camera.

If you are not into full pro camera rigs I would highly recommend it. Recently I upgraded to a Canon 30D and added a lot of awesome lenses, flash, tripod, remote trigger, etc etc. This is a fantastic rig but is quite pricey with all the extras. ( My 70 -200 F2.8 ultrasonic image stabilized zoom lens was $3000.00 alone. )

More important then a good camera is a lot of knowledge on composition, contrast, depth and low light shooting techniques to get the best results. Taking an evening course in photography would help out a lot of people immensely.

Have a great weekend.

David Gretzmier
08-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I agree with James on the photo thing- my photos need help as well. I've talked to a couple of photographers, and they both echo James. A good photography course is worth more than a 5000 dollar camera. I am looking into taking one in the spring at my local University ( ranked preseason #13 by Sports Illustrated? GO HOGS! ).

SangerLawn
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
i just started doing the landscaping aspect of lawn care..... i have to say i am glad you guys are not around here!!!!! i would never get any work lol. GREAT JOB, ALL PICS LOOK GREAT!!!!

NightScenes
08-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I meant to upload a few shots but my comp. messed up. I'll get em up soon.

NightLightingFX
08-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Here is a project I did about a month ago. It isn't really artistic lighting, quite simple really. But the picture and the scenery turned out pretty good. Hey Joey these are all Unique fixtures. I used two "Endeavour" BBQ fixtures and two 6" Centaurus fixtures mounted on the river rock pillars.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

JoeyD
08-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Here is a project I did about a month ago. It isn't really artistic lighting, quite simple really. But the picture and the scenery turned out pretty good. Hey Joey these are all Unique fixtures. I used two "Endeavour" BBQ fixtures and two 6" Centaurus fixtures mounted on the river rock pillars.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

THAT IS FANTASTIC!! YOu need to enter this in the Photo Of the Month contest NOW!! This is great!!!!! Email me on Monday with this shot and lets get it entered. I would love to send this out to everyone in my next newsletter. I am working on it now to realease on Friday. Weather it wins or not I would love to talk about it and still put it up there!!!

Keep it up!!

On another note guys I can help you with your photos. I know some really good camera's in the $500 range that are bassicly point and shoot with a tri pod. On Monday when I am back in the office I will create a thread discussing the cameras and there options.

I have no particular photography skills! But my pics always turn out pretty good!

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Very nice Ned!! I am working on a design now with that fixture in mind.

Pro-Scapes
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Good work ned. Excellent setting.

Whenever possible I try to keep lights below shoulder level when seated. How is the glare when people are sitting on this job (just curious not degrading) Im not familiar with this fixture directly only in the catalogs. Is the bulb hidden down in the light a bit so its not direct glare ?

Again im just asking for the sake of knowledge not to discredit or take away from your work. I just always tried to keep the lights lower than shoulder hieght when seated. Especially deck lighting.

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks real nice ned!

Go Halogen
08-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Paul,

What are you using for your dormer lighting?
Are you adding frosted lenses and what is your typical wattage
when mounted at the gutter?

I noticed that you illuminated the entire dormer, not just the peaks.
Do you worry about light shining into the windows?

I have a few projects coming up with dormers. I would like to know
what everyone is using for these situations.

Thanks

Go Halogen

NightLightingFX
08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Billy,
To answere your question about glare with these fixtures. As far as walking around they are GREAT. To be honest I didn't think to sit down in a chair and check it out. After doing this job though, I really like the "Endeaver" BBQ fixture. Keep in mind I am not a big fan of area path lights in general and rarely use them. I am using the "Endeavor" on another small project next week.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

NightLightingFX
08-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Joey,
Thanks for the compliment I would be honored to have you send the picture out and about. I will try to get a hold of you on Monday. Also I would like to hear about your photography tips. I am using a very basic digital camera an Olympus stylus. I seems to work well in landscape settings but when I try to do light colored homes/architecture it turns out way too hot. I can't figure it out? FYI I am taking a photo class at my local community college this fall. At some point I might figure out night time photography.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com
~Ned

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 09:11 PM
GH, I use a couple of different fixtures and lamps for dormer or upper level lighting. For the dormers in the photo that you are referring to, I am using a Kichler 15398 MR11 fixture with a 10 watt lamp and frosted lens. On other occasions I use the Unique Stellar. Sometimes I use frosted lenses or spread lenses, depending on the project. I use filters and lenses alot in my designs.

Lite4
09-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Small job, Just finished the landscape and got the lighting in yesterday. Yes, I hid the underwater light at the base of the falls this morning. I was out of rock and had to pick up some more. Also took care of some of the glare issues with the lights. Will be adding more lights and landscaping in 2 weeks to front and side yards.

pete scalia
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
very nice Tim you've really got it goin on.

TXNSLighting
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
is that a well light on the tree?

Lite4
09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Well light, yes.

TXNSLighting
09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
well good luck with that. otherwise looks good.

Lite4
09-21-2007, 02:09 PM
you must have had some bad luck with them. Happens sometimes. I silicone seal the connections so they don't short out when water inevitably fills the can.

TXNSLighting
09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
yeh but ants build nests in them, and mulch or pine straw doesnt like heat. and dirt gets in them, and its hard to clean! using wells in beds is bad, i got chewed once for doing this by mr johnson...

JoeyD
09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Well lights are not for every sitation but there are applications where well lights are the best option and in some cases the only option.

extlights
09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I love well lights. :) Put covers on them, take the necessary precautions and they're great....not to mention with a Halogen Par bulb, I think you can make anything look good. In this particular application I think Tim had it right on. It looks great.

Lite4
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks Dave

Chris J
09-21-2007, 05:28 PM
yeh but ants build nests in them, and mulch or pine straw doesnt like heat. and dirt gets in them, and its hard to clean! using wells in beds is bad, i got chewed once for doing this by mr johnson...

:laugh: Don't blame me! I'm not the authority on what to use, I just give my humble opinion. But I'm nobody. :rolleyes:

TXNSLighting
09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
hey i think your completely right Chris!!

TXNSLighting
09-21-2007, 06:54 PM
theres only one time to use the wells. in the turf.

Lite4
09-22-2007, 12:15 AM
New water feature I just finished building and lighting for our southwest subdivision. Architectural styling with a little natural flare mixed in. Which camera exposue do you like the best? Numbers 1 and 2 or number 3? Thanks

Landscape Illuminating
09-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Looks great Tim!! I like #3 the best.

-LI

Pro-Scapes
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
awsome tim.. I like all 3 of the pics. What I would do is crop some of them down to zoomed in photos so you really get like 4 or 5 unique photos out of them.

Lite4
09-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I took some other ones, but your right about some different angles and close ups. I'll have to go back and get some.

Pro-Scapes
09-22-2007, 11:30 AM
you can do closeups with the high res images you already have. If you email me the high res ones i will show you what i mean. often times the best photos can be found within the photos we have already taken. you can zoom in then crop out certain areas and give yourself a detailed shot of a specific feature that just happens to be in a larger photo.

Be sure to keep your dpi up tho when manipulating photos

Chris J
09-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Nice job. I like all three, but 1 & 2 seem to have a more Southwestern feel. #3 also looks nice, but gives off a cooler color. For my portfolio, I think I'd use the one that best depicts the actual job. I'd keep the rest on hand though for special print ads or projects. Good work!

Chris J
09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm using a combination of Kichlers 15384s with bab 60s and frosted lenses and also 15385s. The actual look is very even and warm.

Paul,
I was just reading through some old posts and came accross this one. In that meeting we were in last week, someone brought up the point that the 15384 wouldn't allow the beam spread of a 60 degree bulb to come out because the bulb was too far back away from the lens. What is your experience with this? Have you ever tested a 60 deg. bulb side by side in a 384 vs. something with a very open lens like a 15381? I need to do this soon to resolve my curiosity, but I thought you may have already done so. I know that you can put a lens on the fixture to stretch the beam, but I'm mainly concerned about the fixture itself with no lens or accessories.
If anyone else would like to chime in, please feel free. Thanks in advance.

Lite4
09-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Just installed an additional 65 fixtures on this job I landscaped and lit about 4 years ago. Will be installing lights for the architecture next week when they arrive. Isn't anybody else doing any lighting out there? Where are the pics?

Lite4
09-27-2007, 12:13 AM
few more...

BrandonV
09-27-2007, 06:58 AM
like the columns

JoeyD
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Very Nice TIM!!!

bmwsmity
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Tim, those are some great pics. What kind of camera do you use?

Lite4
09-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys, I use a Nikon D40X. Aperature f16, shutter speed 30 seconds, Iso 100.

Mark B
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey what are you using in those small trees? How are you attaching the fixture? Thanks. All os these are great pics.

Lite4
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I have 3- 20 watt MR-11s in the weeping white pine downlighting the waterfalls. The pine is about 12 feet tall. They are attatched with tree mount brackets.

Mark B
09-28-2007, 02:12 AM
The kind that you screw in or wrap around the tree. Also what did you use on top of the colums? And how did you get the wire and mount the light fixture. Thanks.

bmwsmity
09-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys, I use a Nikon D40X. Aperature f16, shutter speed 30 seconds, Iso 100.

Thanks for the info Tim....I went out a little last night and applied those settings to my camera...AMAZING what kind of difference it made! It turned total darkness into almost daylight!

What kind of lights did you use on the under the eaves there? They look flush-mounted?

Lite4
09-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Sleepyhead, I used the screw mount with stainless steel screws.

Columns, I ran the wire in the gutter. I drilled 2 holes. 1 above the gutter through the facia down at an angle into the soffit cavity. I then drilled a 1" hole in the soffit and chased the wire from the gutter out through the hole in the soffit. The fixtures are Vista 2116 copper directional spot with a 20w BAB bulb and frosted lense. I mounted the fixture to a round copper flush mounting canopy.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey Chris... you learn something everyday! All along I thought it was Bill Locklin from Nightscaping in California who invented LV landscape lighting some 50 years ago or so. I had no idea it was some dude with poor grammar from Long Island. Wow, all my dreams and aspirations seem to be shattered now.

:)

NightScenes
10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Paul,
I was just reading through some old posts and came accross this one. In that meeting we were in last week, someone brought up the point that the 15384 wouldn't allow the beam spread of a 60 degree bulb to come out because the bulb was too far back away from the lens. What is your experience with this? Have you ever tested a 60 deg. bulb side by side in a 384 vs. something with a very open lens like a 15381? I need to do this soon to resolve my curiosity, but I thought you may have already done so. I know that you can put a lens on the fixture to stretch the beam, but I'm mainly concerned about the fixture itself with no lens or accessories.
If anyone else would like to chime in, please feel free. Thanks in advance.

Hey there Chris, I use a lot of 60 degree lamps in the 384 and 087 fixtures and have started using a lot of 484 and 494s. I have not done a side-by-side comparison with the 381 but I can tell that there is a vast difference between the 36 and 60 degree beams in the fixture. The cowling may cut off a little of the outer beam but not enough to worry about.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-04-2007, 07:33 AM
I really think its HPL in stealth mode...lol

pete scalia
10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Chris... you learn something everyday! All along I thought it was Bill Locklin from Nightscaping in California who invented LV landscape lighting some 50 years ago or so. I had no idea it was some dude with poor grammar from Long Island. Wow, all my dreams and aspirations seem to be shattered now.

:)

My ego is not such that I cannot share the glory. Ok I will admit I co-invented it with Mr. Locklin.

pete scalia
10-04-2007, 08:11 AM

HPL? what's that? If it's a compliment I'll take it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-04-2007, 08:16 AM

LOL! You know, you just might be right there.... certainly has some of the same flavour.

Chris J
10-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Hey there Chris, I use a lot of 60 degree lamps in the 384 and 087 fixtures and have started using a lot of 484 and 494s. I have not done a side-by-side comparison with the 381 but I can tell that there is a vast difference between the 36 and 60 degree beams in the fixture. The cowling may cut off a little of the outer beam but not enough to worry about.

Thanks Paul!

Chris J
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
It's defininatly hpl. Notice how he took the time to mention that the home has plants that are not for his New York climate? That's because he is not in NY, he is in California. Nice try, but you can't hide such a poor attitude and nasty personality with a different name.
Besides, do you actually think that someone with an ego that large could actually stay away?

msouthard
12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
These are great, I especially like the cowboy and his son........keep this up.

The Lighting Geek
12-04-2007, 03:15 AM
I did this a couple of months ago...

The Lighting Geek
12-04-2007, 03:30 AM
same job....

JoeyD
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
That waterfall is SICK Tommy!!!! Looks really good!

NightScenes
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Way to go Geekster!!

Pro-Scapes
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I did this a couple of months ago...

Tommy that is wonderful... can you walk us thru the waterfall lighting and maybe provide installation pics ?

Lite4
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I like the treatment under the lips of the falls, what did you use. I also like the transluscent bamboo being backlit. NICE JOB, really first class Tommy. The pool below has a nice blue glow. Did you use blue lenses?

The Lighting Geek
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I used fiber star fiber optic on the waterfall at about 4000K and stellars with the knuckle removed around the outside. I am now using halogen source for my fiber optic instead of the metal halide. it matches the color better. I am also using IluminFX now as well.

Lite4
12-05-2007, 04:37 AM
I have one of the IluminFx generators, What kind of tips are you using. I guess my question is how are you spreading the fiber optic light. I have not yet used this and am curious about how the end light is spread and controlled?

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I know IlluminFX has a spread lens now for their fiber tips.

The Lighting Geek
12-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I am waiting for my 1st illuminfx unit. I will let you know about their lenses then. They have spread lenses available from fiberstar, which is what you see in the pic.

ChampionLS
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I hate the winter. It's 28 here, snowy and miserable. The thought of summer won't be here for a few months. Love the pond pics!.

The Lighting Geek
12-05-2007, 05:22 PM
68 degrees here. Unusually warm for this time a year. Should be 50's high, 30's low

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
70's and sunny here today. Couldnt be nicer!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
-25c here tonight... :(

Today it got to a high of -8c and I managed to get only 8 tree lights installed... It is slow going in all the snow and ice, lots of glove changes, and that darned CAST tin-ox wire is a total pain in the arse. The jacket actually cracks clear through if you are not careful.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Sounds like awesome wire!!!

I guesss thats where the light loses it's "PERFECTION" title huh??? A fixture is only as good as it's weakest component!

Pro-Scapes
12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Sounds like awesome wire!!!

I guesss thats where the light loses it's "PERFECTION" title huh??? A fixture is only as good as it's weakest component!

thats not fair... now i gotta go freeze some unique wire and some cast wire in the deep freezer and check the difference out

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
LOL....Hey remember James said my light could not even come close to the "NEAR PERFECTION" of his CAST downlight. But go ahead, I need to know what happens. Something tells me my wire will not crack...LOL

Pro-Scapes
12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
LOL....Hey remember James said my light could not even come close to the "NEAR PERFECTION" of his CAST downlight. But go ahead, I need to know what happens. Something tells me my wire will not crack...LOL

i dont have issues with the freezing so here the cast tree light is near perfection. yours dont look shabby at all. I do like having it sealed off tho without just a louver to be bent up .

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
i dont have issues with the freezing so here the cast tree light is near perfection. yours dont look shabby at all. I do like having it sealed off tho without just a louver to be bent up .

Our Quasar 1 and Lunar do not come witha Siliconed lens. If you want this option make sure you specify. We can silicone it in.

Pro-Scapes
12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
whats the advantage to no lens ? Are you epecting water to get in and run out ?

NightScenes
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Billy, how would water get into a fixture that is only meant to be pointed down? There are several manufactures that make lights for down lighting only that have no lens.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
whats the advantage to no lens ? Are you epecting water to get in and run out ?

This could sound bad but yeah. We have tried just about everything to keep water out of the downlights. But for some reason no matter how much silicone or how tight a plug the water will find a way to run down the wire. So on our fixtures like the Lunar and Quasar 1 whcih have longer shrouds we decided to not silicone a lens in and allow the water to just drip out and not pool up. Plus cleaning a lens in a tree can be a real paina nd rarely gets done. We do provide these lights with our lens packs which you just drop the lens to the end of the shroud but they are not sealed in unless you ask for it. We never see a problem with these lights due to not having a lens in them. In areas where snow flurries are common you may want to add a lens with the fear that the snow could blow up the shroud.

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Water ingress into tree mounted downlights has been the downfall of pretty much every single fixture I have ever tried. Hadco, Nightscaping, Cooper, BK, Vista, Kichler... they all suffer the same issue. The CAST tree light is the only fixture I have found that has not leaked.

As for an open fixture like Unique, well there is NO way that will work here. Bugs, Catapillars, Moths, are constantly looking for homes and nesting places and tree mounted lights are a favourite location for them... Also, with our storms, snow and ice, I want my fixtures sealed to the elements. Ideally I would like to see a tree mounted downlight that carries an IP68 rating (Waterproof). The CAST fixture is as close to perfection that I have ever found.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2007, 04:13 PM
thats not fair... now i gotta go freeze some unique wire and some cast wire in the deep freezer and check the difference out

Please let me know how this test works out. Deep freeze is the Key (-30c) would be ideal. Even my 12/2 wire jacket breaks at around -18c or so.

I have packed it in on that job... We got more snow today and it is just too dangerous to continue... it will have to be finished in the spring.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Water ingress into tree mounted downlights has been the downfall of pretty much every single fixture I have ever tried. Hadco, Nightscaping, Cooper, BK, Vista, Kichler... they all suffer the same issue. The CAST tree light is the only fixture I have found that has not leaked.

As for an open fixture like Unique, well there is NO way that will work here. Bugs, Catapillars, Moths, are constantly looking for homes and nesting places and tree mounted lights are a favourite location for them... Also, with our storms, snow and ice, I want my fixtures sealed to the elements. Ideally I would like to see a tree mounted downlight that carries an IP68 rating (Waterproof). The CAST fixture is as close to perfection that I have ever found.

That is why it is an option to have a lens put in it. And not all leak but water just finds a way through some of them

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
To help us get back on topic.........
Here are some new Panoramic photos of the Unique "test home"

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Panorama10-AutoCrop.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Panorama7-AutoCrop.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Panorama5-AutoCrop.jpg

The job isnt done but it is getting there.

klkanders
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Very Nice Joey!

Lite4
12-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Jeez, that is beautiful. Who's the lucky recipient of that lighting job?

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Some crazy guy who has a fetish for lighting!

Lite4
12-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, I wonder who that could be?

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Not sure????? LOL

I got a message from The Lighting Geek wanting to know the software we used to do those panoramic shots. They are actually 4 pictures put togeather with this software. Once I get it I will pass it on. I will be fairly busy early part of next week due to the IA show being in town.

Landscape Illuminating
12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Not sure????? LOL

I got a message from The Lighting Geek wanting to know the software we used to do those panoramic shots. They are actually 4 pictures put togeather with this software. Once I get it I will pass it on. I will be fairly busy early part of next week due to the IA show being in town.

I've heard that Autostitch is amazing.....and free!

-Chad

Chris J
12-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Test home? Don't you mean Nate's home? It's amazing how much profit there is in the lighting business. Not to take anything away from Nate, but my GOD! Is he trying to be the next Bill Gates or Donald Trump? You guys do live in California, right? Just tell him to get a boob implant and take over Oprahs job!

Chris J
12-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Jeez, that is beautiful. Who's the lucky recipient of that lighting job?

Satisfied customers willl usually lend their name and address as a reference.
Why Joey is avoiding this converstion is beyone me. Maybe this customer was not satisfied enough to allow you the right to use their name as a reference?
Do tell.

carcrz
12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
he probably doesn't want to post their name & address on the internet for all to see. Big liability there I would think.

Mike M
12-08-2007, 07:33 AM
My hunch:

That property looks like is was designed specifically for lighting installations, with built-in features and obsticles, kind of like a miniature golf course, or "lighting obsticle course."

Favorite lighting features throughout: water (still pools and fountains), columns/pillars, various overhead and architectural features, outdoor living areas, plants, etc.

Common obsticles: hiding wire in/on structures, dealing with concrete (before and after construction, various widths), mounting in a variety locations and conditions.

Hey, if you were a manu, would you want to be messing around with other people's homes all the time to experiment with various applications?

JoeyD
12-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Chris you crack me up!!! LOL

This customer is so pissed off they said if you use my name I am going to rip out all of these f'n lights and throw them through your window like that old lady in those old tire commercials.

I'm kidding. This home was designed for lights and is not done. When the pool is kicked on there are huge fountains that shoot out from all corners with fiber optics in them. The Jacuzzi steaming with the fiber optic color wheel going is a cool effect as well.

There are still a few statues to add, some fire bowls, and then the giant white tiger cage.

Once the helicopter pad is in then we will begin to concentrate on the lighting the elevator shaft and Ferrari race track.

LOL

That is my imagination running wild.

Paul and The Lighting Geek got a first hand tour when they were out here.

We do have a lot of cool stuff going on and more to come. He has quite a few acres here to play with.

Joey D.

JoeyD
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
We as manufaturers have a responsability to test our products. Us as educators have a responsibility to have a clue. We do certain jobs for this reason. The day we stop doing installs on our own homes and at training's is the day we become our competiton just making lights for estetic purposes and not for functionality.

Chris J
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Very cool stuff. You do know that I'm just teasing you though, right? After my ordeal with my outdoor Christmas lights, I had to jump on here and get somebody else fired up as well. All in fun!

JoeyD
12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Very cool stuff. You do know that I'm just teasing you though, right? After my ordeal with my outdoor Christmas lights, I had to jump on here and get somebody else fired up as well. All in fun!

I totally knew you were kidding! Thats why I had to just add to the fun. Could you ever imagine a homeowner who had that yard not being happy with how it looked lit up??

JoeyD
12-18-2007, 06:17 PM

http://arcsoft.com/products/panoramamakerpro/
This is the program we used to do the stiching on the photos.

Joey D.

Pro-Scapes
12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
these were taken too late and right after rain but still came out ok. Waiting to install 8 more fixtures on the face of the home and will have a photographer come shoot the house as part of a new marketing campaigne we will embark on. Note there is a green merc vapor from the nieghbors home glaring in 1 pic and the LED wrapped crepe myrtles which will remain year round at the homeowners request.
Keep in mind there is zero hotspots in the actual job.

EDIT... not sure why but they are not displaying nearly on here as they are on my computer.

Lite4
12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow, Nice job Billy. I could see spending some time in that seating area. Looks like you have created some nice ambiance there. I like the reflective properties of the fan palm. I envy you guys that work with lighting tropicals in the garden. The pergola is a nice focal point down that allee of trees.

The Lighting Geek
12-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Billy, those are some awesome pics! There is your new marketing picture.
Nicely done.

Pro-Scapes
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks... I gotta give Credit to Ashley my lovley wife for the pics and to Burt (SamIV on here) for his countless hours of trying to explain out camera to us. He assisted on the installation.

Find the wires on the pergola... They are there if you look hard enough.... took the homeowner 10 min to find em. The original install the landscaper drilled 30 holes in the boards and strung the wire thru the air and used quick discs.

irrig8r
12-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Really nice work Billy. And nice photos by Ashley too.

Pro-Scapes
12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Gregg... Not sure if you guys noticed the moonlight on the ledge by the pool (bottom pic). There is 5 unique lunars and a single quasar1 on this job as well splashing the entire pool area in pale blue light. I really like the blue that comes with the unique lights. Wish they included a retainer clip for it. Mine from RSL dont fit the housings.

Chris J
12-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Great job Billy. The pergola looks fantastic! But since you mentioned it, I'm curious. How did you run the wire for the pergola? I think I see it in pic 1 where the truses meet the header board, but I'd like to know where it comes up from the ground. Also, is this a daisy chain, T, or other? The reason I ask is because I always struggle with this type of install. I always question myself as to the best method of wiring it so that the connections won't be visible. Your input would be appreciated.

Pro-Scapes
12-25-2007, 09:21 PM
since the pergola is NOT visable from the backside we ran the wire up the backside of the center pillar and installed a J box on the backside of it. There are 2 transformers behind some bushes behind the pergola back to back on a 4x8 post. One is upb controlled and the other controlled by a unique sequencer.

Its wired in a hub still altho some leads are shorter than others all fixtures came out to be within .3v of eachother (I checked all 5 out of curiosity) The hub for the pergola downlights are in the white j box and there is another hub just behind it for 5 uplit ligustrums to provide the backdrop.

Burt and I spent about 2 hours using 1 hole zip ties and tucked the wire up as close as we could. Your right. The wire is there against the beam and header boards. We kept the wires as tight as we could against the top and when it dries and warms up a tad I will return to paint and patch as needed to make it look perfect.

This is a rework and if you look in the bottom pic you can see where he had the old lights and they were pointing out about 45 degrees with 50w bulbs running at 7v more or less.

If you dont have a place to hide the wire like I did you can get inside the hollow pillars and using bailing twine and a small fishing wieght drop the twine down and drill a hole near the bottom and pull it out with a hook then tape your wire to it and pull up. Sometimes it requires you to install a J box over your hole and sometimes you can patch it up. This is my 3rd structural install where I reworked someone elsed work. Alot of times just making the wires less visable and tight and clean is plenty to please the crowds.

Chris J
12-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Those pillars look to be about 6' apart. I would have created a T at the middle column, and would have expected no less than .4v drop between the middle and the end column. I think this method would have been much more easy to install, and you could have possibly run the single wire on top of the header board? I don't question your installation method, I'm only offering my input for contemplation.

Pro-Scapes
12-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I didnt want the splices exposed. I didnt use a hub for the voltage drop equality of it. The 16ga leads were able to be straightened out and pulled snug to the headers and stacked for a very clean install. once I paint it I really doubt anyone would notice it if they didnt know where it was. We were tempted to fish the wire inside the pillars but it just wasnt feesible on this particular install nor worth it. The old wire was just hanging from the beam to the ground about a foot away from the closest pillar then tied in a knot and wirenutted

I did not want to see inline splices or even the bulge of ace connectors. I was unhappy enough with seening double shrinkboots for the leads. Not sure when Kichler will get with the program and offer a 25 ft lead spliced directly to the socket. I guess the short leads and quick discs promote the type of work I tore out of here. Daisychains and loops with 300w on a 12ga wire (and no not at 24v nate)

I personally vote for Kichler to get rid of quick discs and use the money saved to put it twoards REAL leads on a fixture. Thats been my main gripe with their line up besides the george foreman transformers we seem to have run into. The transformers seem to be an isolated bunch tho that ran REALLY hot

Chris J
12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Either way, the job looks great. Way to go Billy!

niteliters
12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Billy, I am pleased with your progress in design. Onward and upward my friend.

Pro-Scapes
12-26-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks Chris and Chris. I still find myself second guessing myself in new elements but often times I find if I do part of the job in 1 day then add elements or readjust that evening it comes out all the more pleasant. I am going to try something totally new to me on that same project and will post my findings.

As a designer I guess i am by biggest critic. I never stop looking for better and cleaner ways to do things. Drives Ash nuts

NightScenes
12-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Way to go Billy!!

SamIV
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I told you it would look great. Billy's designs have grown to the point where he does not require my or anyone else's input. Just needs to belive more in his gift. He is just where he needs to be. Other designers might have a different approach, but this does not detract from your ability.

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

NightScenes
12-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Good to see you Bert!!

Pro-Scapes
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I knew it would look good. The one I finished today looks pretty darn good too considering the budget and the lack of ideal locations for fixtures.

As someone who is constantly striving for more I think its natural to ask for others input especially when they have years of experience on you.

Appreciate your help on the install Burt. I am finally caught up!

Venturewest
02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Some downlighting. I just have a point and shoot with a few manual settings. I would like to experiment more in the future.

Lite4
02-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Looks nice. Are you running 35 watters in those. How did you set them, with a ladder or did you use climbing gear?

Venturewest
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I played with this one in an editor a little bit.

Venturewest
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks nice. Are you running 35 watters in those. How did you set them, with a ladder or did you use climbing gear?
Thanks
Those are just 20W 36 deg BABs. I would like to ad some spread lenses or maybe 60 deg lamps. I set all those with a 28' ladder. There are 3 lights in that particular grouping of oaks.

Venturewest
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
One more view.

The Lighting Geek
02-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I just got back from firing up a 100 light job and took a quick shot of my favorite part.

Lite4
03-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Beautiful as always Geekman. I like the backlit deciduous trees. Excellent winter detail.

TXNSLighting
03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Lets see some more pictures tommy.

The Lighting Geek
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I literally did a rough adjustment to the job and they want me add 20 more lights. When I get it done I will post more pictures from it.

Here is another job in progress. I had to stop because of the landscaper had buried the trunks of the oak tree 3 :hammerhead: feet and the grade was going to change dramatically. Here is a shot of part of the job. It is not tweeked and there are 50% of the lights are installed yet. It gave the customer some idea where it was going. They talked about it for days and are pushing everyone else to get done so I can finish..lol

The Lighting Geek
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
We always talk about demo's and I found a picture when I was looking for something else. I honestly can't remmember if I ever posted it. But this probably one of my best demo's and it is only 4 lights. The funny part is that the customer did not buy it, but I used it for my ads and still have people talking about this photo some years later. You can see the well lights, the wire, and the demo box on the left side...LOL

Lite4
03-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Isn't that funny Tommy. Some of the best looking demos I have set up have passed on having it done permenant. At least you got a priceless photo out of it. That alone was worth the whole demo. I set one up tonight that is going to be in a photo shoot on wed. for some magazine. They are coming to shoot the inside of his house, and I just happened to stop by and asked to set up a demo, so it too will be included in the magazine. I think he said Architectural digest, but I am not certain. The house is worth about 2 mil. and there is absolutely zero lighting. Not even soffit lighting. Can you say easy sell.

Eden Lights
03-02-2008, 08:12 AM
AD doesn't show lighting much, if you get a pic and a name in that would be huge!

Venturewest
03-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I set one up tonight that is going to be in a photo shoot on wed. for some magazine. They are coming to shoot the inside of his house, and I just happened to stop by and asked to set up a demo, so it too will be included in the magazine. I think he said Architectural digest, but I am not certain. The house is worth about 2 mil. and there is absolutely zero lighting. Not even soffit lighting. Can you say easy sell.

Congratulations Tim. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. I can't wait to see the article. It will be interesting to see if they can beat your photos. Are you going to post any of the demo?

Lite4
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, I will post some of the demo tonight. I have a few more lights I am going to set up from the pergola of his patio for some downlighting and then take some photos. I am meeting with the photographer tomorrow to coordinate timing of his shoot. This one was a tough one for getting lights everywhere that I would normally put them in a final install. The roof is cut up and there are no gutters on the higher roof lines. I told the owner I would normally add lights in particular areas, but it was just a demo so he would have to use his imagination a little bit. Overall though it looks alright. I will post pics later.

The Lighting Geek
03-02-2008, 12:24 PM
very nice! I hope you get great exposure from that shoot in AD. I put copies of the covers we have been on in my photo book, it gives you great credibilty as well. i am looking forward to your photos as usual. :)

msouthard
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
The mirrored reflection is awesome and these people did not buy, they must be crazy.....mike southard, kichler

Pro-Scapes
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
just because they have an incredible back yard and the demo looked incredible doesnt mean they had the moolah to do the project. What reason did they give Tommy ?

The Lighting Geek
03-02-2008, 11:20 PM
They had the money, just could not justify the expense. They could not see or find value in great lighting. Usually I pick these people out in my prescreening/prequalifying, this one was unusual. It makes for great conversation when I show the picture in my portfolio and tell them it is only 4 lights, then I show them others in the 50-100 fixture range. The picture made the effort worth it. It is rare that I do a demo and don't get the job these days.

NightLightingFX
03-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Here is a project I finished last week finally got pics
~Ned

Lite4
03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice job on the stream drops Ned. Those look really nice.

klkanders
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Looks good Ned! keep the pics coming
Tim thanks for all the photos you have posted recently also. They get me fired up since It will be awhile before I can do the same. We were melting alot of the snow but just got another 2-3 inches last night. grrrrr

NightLightingFX
03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Here is the front yard of my latest project. This was a great customer he did what ever I wanted. I was involved with this project while the house was being built. I was able to make sure the gables got lit. And this is the project that I did the fixtures in the concrete. It isn't perfect. The right end is kind of lit up funny - There is a boulder there so I couldn't put my fixture out the same distance from the house as all the rest of the up lights. And I would have liked to light up the rock column right next to the garage just left of the weeping evergreen. But all-in-all I am happy with the results
~Ned

Lite4
03-06-2008, 02:01 AM
I think it looks beautiful Ned. Nice job!!

The Lighting Geek
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I went back and shot some of the job we are on right now.

klkanders
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice Tommy! That 3rd pic makes me wanna walk right up and sit by the fire.......with a beer!

SamIV
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I am very impressed with the coverage of those PAR fixtures used by Tommy the Lighting Geek on the structure and trees by the pool. I have been biased against the PAR lamp, but maybe I am missing something here. I am still a PAR virgin but I am going to order some Big Bangs to play with.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Lite4
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Burt, I have always been a big par user. I get better spread with them than I do with the 16s. The ge pars seem to outlast even the MRs too. They are great for certain applications. I am unsure why so many here have an aversion to them, especially when housed in an above grade fixture like the Big Bang.

Eden Lights
03-06-2008, 08:09 PM
PARS? Poor guys, I guess next you will want to trade in your ipods for a boom box the size of a coffee table. I think I will trade my Blackberry in for the Cell phone in the briefcase from the mid 80's.:)

msouthard
03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Great pics.....

Lite4
03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Ha ha, Thats pretty good Eddie.

Lite4
03-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Excellent job as usual Geek Man.

SamIV
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Eddie, you pierce point aficionado. Hehe. I am a pierce point virgin also. Maybe we have to be a little more open minded. I have never been an advocate of using a lamp that looks very similar to the headlight on my fathers car of 30 years ago, but maybe there is something to it.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

klkanders
03-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Our snow was just about gone then last night we got 6"... with more later in the day! :cry:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Is this winter ever going to end?

I drove home from Naples Fla. to Ontario in that miserable blizzard we got a week or so ago... 32 Hours non-stop got us from Naples to London Ontario where we gave up. (usually takes me 24 - 26 hours, door to door) 40 - 45 mph max from the Georgia border, through Tenessee (sleet, lighting, & FOG), Kentucky (sleet, freezing rain, snow), Ohio (snow), Michigan (SNOW) and then ran into the perfect storm of wind and snow in Ontario. It was insane, but much safer to push on through the night with no traffic then to bear trying to travel with a bunch of yahoos who dont have snow tires or know how to drive in the stuff.

Here at home we have had record snow fall for the season... I only hope it melts soon! I have LOTS of work to do.

Regards

Pro-Scapes
03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
we broke a sweat here today at a nice 82 degrees. Pollen is terrible tho... windy and yellow pine pollen everywhere.

pihta
03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Not a weekly project. July 2007, some of our first projects, but looks good.

We did only house lighting and nothing on the landscape, trees etc. This flashy path light not ours, and customer didn't want to take it out, so not our fault.

Hot spots on the photo from the camera. But almost our customers likes when things are bright :hammerhead:

All Unique, probe-osm, nova

JoeyD
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Is that a private residence or a commercial building? What a cool home if it is! Obviously I am a bit partioal becuase you used our products but that set aside it is a very nice deisgn IMHO. Great job Egor!! Keep them coming!! Hey make sure to go check out my Unqieu forum, I ams tarting a ne thread as we speak regarding photos of projects using our lights.

Thanks for the support!!

Joey D.

pihta
03-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Is that a private residence or a commercial building? What a cool home if it is! Obviously I am a bit partioal becuase you used our products but that set aside it is a very nice deisgn IMHO. Great job Egor!! Keep them coming!! Hey make sure to go check out my Unqieu forum, I ams tarting a ne thread as we speak regarding photos of projects using our lights.

Thanks for the support!!

Joey D.
Thanks for good words, Joey!

Its private residence, shoot from backyard. Architector was someone famous from UK, many $$$, expensive bricks, stone etc. All fasades are lit, but not so brigthly. House is from dark brick and we use narrow beams to hightlight columns. 64 fixtures total

Pro-Scapes
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
awsome house there. Nice job on the lights. I too like the probe OSM and OBM to structural lighting. The novas are great when a 20w fixture is needed but sometimes on 2 story you need the 35w punch and the novas dont cut it there. They are however one of the finest in grade compact fixtures I have seen and used.

JoeyD
03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the support!!

Joey D.

Hey buddy use spell check already...geez You didnt even spell your company name right!!:hammerhead::nono:

I know some of you were thinking that!! :drinkup:

irrig8r
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
OK, I'll admit to that about the spelling .... :rolleyes:

So, this guy is really doing lighting in Moscow, Russia?
Aren't they on 240V over there?

So, does that mean you sold him a 24 V system?

Nice detail work on the columns and nice lighting effects. I have to say i prefer the downlighting on the rounded wall in the second photo to the uplighting effect on the other columns.

The uplighting looks a little hot IMHO, and the details are lost (compared to the downlighting) from this perspective.

Oh, in the third photo... a Nove at the base, right? What's the other uplight further up the column on the right?

irrig8r
03-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Oops... exceeded the editing time limit... meant to spell "Nova"...

Anyway, the column on the right... Nova at the base... then halfway up.. Northstar? Lunar? Or what?

JoeyD
03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Actually we make 240/220v TF's Gregg. Thats what we sell to Europe and Russia. They just ship with the power cord cut off.

We use them here in the states when you want to tie a TF in at your A/C power suppply! 240/220v to 12v!!!

Again sorry for my spelling, I am the worst at having bad spelling in my posts!!

pihta
03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Nice detail work on the columns and nice lighting effects. I have to say i prefer the downlighting on the rounded wall in the second photo to the uplighting effect on the other columns.
The uplighting looks a little hot IMHO, and the details are lost (compared to the downlighting) from this perspective.
Oh, in the third photo... a Nove at the base, right? What's the other uplight further up the column on the right?
On the third photo all lighting from the base made with Nova, columns on the right too.
We use Nova's with 20w 10dg narrow beams so they look more bright than 36dg. Customer wanted to have this part lit more brightly so we did it.

Uplighting of the round wall was not possible because where was technical problems to place fixtures and cable. House was already built when be came to it.

JoeyD
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Great job egor!! keep us posted on your future projects. We would all love to see the types of projects you are doing in Russia!! Very cool!

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Long week but grabbed a quick shot before we left... will send ash back to take better pics next week. 4 Gambino transformers. All exterior lighting is on the upb. Need to finish setting up the scenes and changing some lamps in the orions. Im not sure why the pic is so yellow... There is a rather obnoxiously blinding street light behind the camera.

The Lighting Geek
03-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Nice job there Billy. I like the back lit trees in the forground.

pete scalia
03-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Nice job there Billy. I like the back lit trees in the forground.

back lit trees in the foreground? Are we looking at the same photo? They look front lit to me.

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 08:15 AM
back lit trees in the foreground? Are we looking at the same photo? They look front lit to me.

the trees directly in front of the home are unlit. The house is reflective enough to give that backlit look and I did not want to detract from the original architecture of the home. The tree to the extreme left is kinda sidelit just to show its there and the tree to the right is also sidelit. When its VERY dark out you cant see that bed when your pulling in to the circular driveway. There is to be 3 more tree lights added in front still. Hard to tell but there is already 4... 1 at each turning point of the drive.

4 more tree lights to add on this property and need to finish the dock structure outback which will be underlit per request.

Someone told me I need to play with the white balance on my camera so I will look into that more and try to reshoot it. Hard to see in this pic but there are downlights mounted in the sofits on each side of the front entrance area to show the landing.

Lite4
03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Billy, Nice job. That is a beautiful home. Adjust the white balance like on your camera settings, that should help with the yellow coloring. Sometimes I forget to adjust mine and I get yellow light just like that.

The Lighting Geek
03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
oops, you got me me pete, I meant the trees not lit. The palms are a little hot but the job is beautiful.

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
oops, you got me me pete, I meant the trees not lit. The palms are a little hot but the job is beautiful.

Thank you Tommy. I need some lenses on the palms still... They are 20w 60 degree now. They really are not as hot in real life as in the photo... The blarring street light behind me to the left really made for a tough shot.

Trees were left dark intentionally.

The Lighting Geek
03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Sometimes what you don't light is an important as what you do light. I doubt those palms are as hot as they appear. Keep it going dude, good stuff. :cool2:

JoeyD
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I cant wait to see the final pics Billy!!

NightScenes
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Here's one that made the cover of Billion Dollar Bay magazine.

JoeyD
04-04-2008, 10:10 AM
very nice!!

pete scalia
04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Here's one that made the cover of Billion Dollar Bay magazine.

By far one of the best I've seen. Why aren't you other mooks fawning over it too.

NightScenes
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys. This is one of my favorite projects.

pete scalia
04-04-2008, 10:24 PM

I can see why, you did a beautiful job. Tremendous composition, amazing execution-nice washing of the architectural walls, uplighting and downlighting out of the majestic trees. If the rest of you Freeholes weren't so jealous you'd chime in and tell Paul what a nice job he did. God bless

klkanders
04-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Thats a great pic! I bet in person its awesome! Congrats Paul

Chris J
04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I've seen it before, so it's old news to me Pete. This is the pic that should have won paul the photo contest at St. Thomas this year, but some other crap took his place. (belive me, it was crap.) There was not a question as to the better project. Amazingly, it is a contractor vote so how this happened is beyond me. I belive the majority of the contractors at St. Thomas this year must have eaten some bad mushrooms or something.
Anyway, great job Paul (once again).

Lite4
04-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow, beautiful pic paul. Nice job.

Pro-Scapes
04-05-2008, 01:12 AM
I think I could bring myself to live there. Way to go Pablo... see you in Vegas ?

extlights
04-10-2008, 02:05 PM
We need to get this thread started again. Here are a couple that we did. The pictures aren't very good at all, but you can get the idea.

extlights
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
A couple more.

JoeyD
04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Very cool Dave!!

TXNSLighting
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
id like to put some on here but their to big!! im not not smart enough to resize em!!

JoeyD
04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
open a photo bucket account. super easy and free and you can resize and touch up your photos. then you just click the link and paste it into the message box and the pictures magicly appear.

extlights
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
You can download a program called Irfanview. It's a free photo editing program with very limited capabilities, but resizing is easy with it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 06:28 PM
You can also download PicasaII from Google. It is free, simple to use and very powerful. Great first step at learning photo post production.

You can 'export' your photos for email and it will automatically create copies at a size suitable for posting etc.

PicasaII - Works great.

klkanders
04-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Nice work and homes Dave! Thanks for sharing them.

Keith

NightScenes
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Very nice Dave!! DON'T FEED THE MOOSE!!

TXNSLighting
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
thanks guys ill try one of those..

MarkOlex
04-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I found out about this forum from a newsletter. I am glad there is a place to learn from other professionals.

Lite4
04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Mark,
That is some beautiful work. Welcome to this forum and thank you for posting some of your work here for us to see. There are some on this forum whom we have no idea about when it comes to their lighting abilities because they have never posted any of their work. I look forward to your participation here and many great exchanges of ideas.

klkanders
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I concur that's a beautiful view Mark!
Tim, Were you referring to me not posting any pics or someone in a different region? :)
I am planning to get some pictures taken when things start popping out here.

Keith

JoeyD
04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Very Nice Mark!! I hope it was the Unique newsletter that directed you here but at any rate welcome and we all look forward to your participation!

Joey D.

NightScenes
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Very nice Mark!! I'm glad to see you found this place. Maybe we'll see you on the AOLP forum one day (hint, hint):waving:

MarkOlex
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks , and it was the Unique newsletter. All the lights on that job were Unique except the lights on the outdoor kitchen.

MarkOlex
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Paul I would like to get more info on AOLP. I will check out the website.

MarkOlex
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Here is another pic from the same job.

The Lighting Geek
04-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Nice work Mark! Happy to see you here and hope you can help us as much we might help you. Your definitely off to good start!

JoeyD
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Very cool Mark!! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!!

Joey D.

Pro-Scapes
04-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark. The color of that photo is great. Very nice. What camera are you using ?

MarkOlex
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Those pics were taken with a Cannon 1D by a professional photographer. I am currently using a Nikon D80 with a professional tripod, though I am continually learning. The results have been great.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
here are few led pics of led demo and lighting around falls. I think I'm going to take them back. Kinda some cool colors. I will post the rest in here under my led color pics. Just doen't flow with the project. I think I will go back to white. Nice and safe. Light on

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Good call going back to white... I have never been a fan of the use of coloured lighting in residential applications, it just makes things look way too festive and commercial IMO.

As for warm white LEDs.... the info sheets for that new LED MR16 lamp I have are just about ready to go out. There has been a procurement delay in getting the 38 degree lamps into the country, but the 60 degree lamps are all ready to ship. Just send me an email and I will register you for an info sheet.

Regards.

JoeyD
06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
This picture was just sent to me by one of our top contractors. It uses some cool applications including the Endeavor Area Lights, Stellars mounted to uplight the roof and peaks, and some underwater lights that he mounted under the dock!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/Twilights.jpg

pihta
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Very nice pic, Joey!

Can you tell more about water fixtures? Are they UNDERwater or just mounted over the water under bridge? And what fixture?

JoeyD
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Very nice pic, Joey!

Can you tell more about water fixtures? Are they UNDERwater or just mounted over the water under bridge? And what fixture?

"Pulsars with 35w 12 degree beams. The floor joists run length wise with the bridge so we mounted them to shoot along the joists underneath. Quasar 2s in Tuscan tan were mounted under the soffits. Probes (side mount) in Tuscan tan shining up the cedar shake roof and chimney, an Obiter inside the cupola on the tip of the roof (not that noticeable), Endeavors along the bridge/path that are side mounted to the bridge and hubbed underneath with the Pulsars, and Voyagers in the steps from the bridge to the deck."
Ryan
Twilights By Design