PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used plow truck?

westcoh
08-03-2007, 02:18 AM
I've been looking around recently for a good used truck with a gvw of around 30k, and have come across a few state owned plow/salt trucks, and was just wondering if they're even worth looking at or if they'll just be too rusted out to even consider? The one is a 96 international 4700 with about 100k miles for $12,000.

Decent deal or should I look elsewhere?

JJG84
08-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Depends if you need the truck or not. if you have the accounts, you think the truck is a sound piece of equipment at a right price (which is usually determined by geographic location), and dont want to have much more overhead, buy the son of a *****.

If you dont have the accounts, then dont buy it.

as far as the rust goes, only you can be the judge on that. Rust usually equals tons of problems, but if you can make enough to pay the truck off in a winter before problems occur (which is very possible), then it would be worth it in my opinion.

HVC
08-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Those trucks are usually beat!

lawnman456
08-05-2007, 09:22 PM
salt takes a toll on the trucks

Gravel Rat
08-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't buy a municipal truck without some history on it. For us snow plowing is done by a private contractor that does all the road maintenance. Most of their trucks are okay because they are the ones that has to pay the bills on them. Drivers ruin the truck they are out of a job.

I can see if its a city owned or a gov't owned truck the drivers don't care drive the crap out of them. The gov't/city only fix what they have to and once they get to a certain age they get rid of the trucks no matter the mileage they depreciate their value.