PDA

View Full Version : Erosion mat?

dlite
08-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I recently moved into a new house and the slope of the yard caused some erosion problems, etc. The landscaper came back and hooked it up, and also put down erosion mat. My question is does the erosion mat eventually erode? I guess what I'm asking is do I have to eventually take this mat up?.......or is it biodegradable and should I just leave it untouched? The landscaper put "spikes" (for lack of a better word) into the ground to hold it down. But just don't know if I'm supposed to eventually pick it up or let nature take it's course.

Rtom45
08-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Theoretically the erosion mat is supposed to disappear. Our experience indicates that it does not. We don't remove them for fear of tearing up the new grass, but we battle the mess we get when we mow these areas.

dlite
08-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I can certainly see that. I'm guessing it would take months for the erosion mat to actually breakdown in the grass enough where mowing it would not be a problem.

MILSINC
08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
It only really takes a few months. . I installed some last winter with a 300% rate seeding, and it has all disappeared now. I did not need to pull it up at all. Most of the brands use a grid of plastic that breaks down with uv light (sun).