PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws????

BotetourtBoy3
08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Between a Poulan and McCullogh chainsaws which is better??

MJS
08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I have used both of them, but I gotta say, get a Stihl or an Echo! :weightlifter:

MILSINC
08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
that is like asking which is better between mcdonald's and burger king.
go get yourself a nice steak and be happy, instead of left with a giant stomach ache.

rb_in_va
08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
that is like asking which is better between mcdonald's and burger king.
go get yourself a nice steak and be happy, instead of left with a giant stomach ache.

Yep, Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar will do fine.

Nosmo
08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Had Mc Collogh saws 2-different times. I have used Poulans but I have had a Stihl for 3-years.

Prefer Stihl over any saw but between Poulan or Mc Collogh it is a toss up.

Nosmo

mverick
08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Bought a Poulan. Wouldn't cut the tree, stalled out all the time. Bought a husky 346. It was like butter. Blades do dull fast though.

eaglejrl
08-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Stihl...................

mchildress
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Poulan and Mccollogh are not the saws they made thirty years ago. They used to make commercial grade saws. I still have one old Poulan and have wore out two of their bow blade saws years ago,wish they still made them of that quality today. I have several Stihl saws and have been happy with them. They make a home owner grade,rancher grade,and proffesional grade depending on your price range and how much you will be using the saw.

deere615
08-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Stihl! My uncle got a poulan and a crapsman. If I had to choose I would take poulan. But Stihl's are :weightlifter:

Kid With A Mower
08-04-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm still with Stihl:dancing:

deere-man
08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
this is a NO BRAINER STIHL.

Birdhunter1
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Comparing junk and junk, you ight as well decide by either the price, (if used) which one actually does run, or which one is prettier.
Poulan used to make a pretty decent saw a long time ago, but that was a long time ago.

rb_in_va
08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Stihl! My uncle got a poulan and a crapsman. If I had to choose I would take poulan. But Stihl's are :weightlifter:

Almost all craftsman saws are actually poulans.

rb_in_va
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Bought a Poulan. Wouldn't cut the tree, stalled out all the time. Bought a husky 346. It was like butter. Blades do dull fast though.

Chainsaws have a bar and chain, not a blade. And the chain can be sharpened very easily if done on a regular basis.

mverick
08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Chainsaws have a bar and chain, not a blade. And the chain can be sharpened very easily if done on a regular basis.

Actually, it has 72 blades. Mounted on a chain.

And they do dull faster then they should. That's why I have 4 of them.

DiyDave
08-06-2007, 08:53 PM
LOTS of crapsman chainsaws ARE poulans!:waving: :waving:

DiyDave
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Didn't see your earlier post, rb-in-va.:laugh:

newz7151
08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
LOTS of crapsman chainsaws ARE poulans!:waving: :waving:

Actually, the correct brand name now, would be Husqvarna.

rb_in_va
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually, it has 72 blades. Mounted on a chain.

And they do dull faster then they should. That's why I have 4 of them.

Those would be teeth. And it is a good idea to have more than one chain!

mverick
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Those would be teeth. And it is a good idea to have more than one chain!

When have you ever heard of sharpening teeth? They are blades.

TreeCo
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM

And, grow up and shut the smart mouth. Go tell your mom you've been stupid again....... Again......

Only lawn guys call them "blades". LOL.

rb_in_va
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM

And, grow up and shut the smart mouth. Go tell your mom you've been stupid again....... Again......

Actually we were both wrong, according to the Oregon chain company. They call them cutters.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_02.pdf

And your tough talk has got me very scared!:sleeping:

mverick
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Only lawn guys call them "blades". LOL.

Shows what you know then. I'm not a lawn guy. LOL... To much equipment repairs. Mowers running constantly. My equipment runs maybe 3 out of 8 hours.

Hardscaping and interior work. We leave the lawns to the mexicans.$2000 to rebuild a wall. $100 worth of supplies. 1 guy $150 labor. Or, cut grass? I'll rebuild homes and do the landscaping.

Know what your talking about before interjecting

MarcSmith
08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
stihl makes a nice and inexpensive arborist saw, the ms192. you can pick one up for around 270....it will do just about everything a homeowner would ever want to do, and you can pass it along to your children and their children. yes they will last that long.

if you want to go cheaper, go with the echo.. if for no other reason that parts are readily available and they are easy to work on. if you spend 100 bucks on a chain saw, don't plan on using it much.....

I have an echo cs330 that is going on 10 years. for my personal saw, but I have 3 Stihls including the mt192 at work.

TreeCo
08-07-2007, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=mverick;1921678]

Know what your talking about before interjectingQUOTE]

Stihl calls them "teeth". You should stick with calling them "blades" so people will know your level of understanding.

Copied from the Stihlusa site.

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID® Micro™ Full Skip (RMF)

STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Full Skip is the skip pattern version of STIHL RAPID™ Micro™. There are two tie straps between every two cutting teeth, allowing better chip discharge and higher chain speed and less sharpening maintenance with more powerful saws and longer guide bars.

mverick
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Stihl calls them "teeth". You should stick with calling them "blades" so people will know your level of understanding.

Copied from the Stihlusa site.

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID® Micro™ Full Skip (RMF)

STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Full Skip is the skip pattern version of STIHL RAPID™ Micro™. There are two tie straps between every two cutting teeth, allowing better chip discharge and higher chain speed and less sharpening maintenance with more powerful saws and longer guide bars.

Ok,
Then you better go to the dentist to get your teeth sharpened.

They're blades. Blades get sharpened. Guess you believed the dealer when they told ya the diesel truck get's 20mpg whether towing or not.

rb_in_va
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
They're blades. Blades get sharpened. Guess you believed the dealer when they told ya the diesel truck get's 20mpg whether towing or not.

I heard if the blades on your diesel truck are sharpened correctly you will get 22 mpg.

Scooterbum
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
:cool2: 24 mpg if your teeth are clean too !!!!:cool2:

DOLMARatOS
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Shows what you know then. I'm not a lawn guy. LOL... To much equipment repairs. Mowers running constantly. My equipment runs maybe 3 out of 8 hours.

Hardscaping and interior work. We leave the lawns to the mexicans.$2000 to rebuild a wall. $100 worth of supplies. 1 guy $150 labor. Or, cut grass? I'll rebuild homes and do the landscaping.

Know what your talking about before interjecting

Spelling / grammar correction: you are = you're

They aren't called blades at all. The chain has teeth, cutters, chisels, or sharp little pointy thingies. No blades on a chainsaw chain. However. Chop and Demo saws have blades, but they usually aren't sharpened.

Creekpaddler
08-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Back to the original topic: My dad had two McCullochs and I've had one Poulan and two Stihls. If I had to choose between McCulloch and Poulan, I'd go with the brand for which I can get good service and parts - most likely Poulan. But Stihl saws are the way to go: there are plenty of good Stihl service shops in my area. If something happens to the saw, it's a short drive to get it fixed.

JCLawn and more
08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
check out dolmar, awesome saws and they make a few at consumer prices and will blow both those 2 out of the water.

austins35
08-15-2013, 10:24 AM
this in slightly different order

Dolmar, Stihl, Husky buy used check compression

Yep, Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar will do fine.