PDA

View Full Version : tree repair and ivy control

JWHomeowner
08-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Hello! I am a newly retired school teacher with a BIG yard and lots of trees. I've been trying to get the yard under control and I made a mistake.
Question #1 - I didn't know I shouldn't prune my holly till winter. Should I protect the limb cuts with a sealant?
Question #2 - Second mistake, I allowed English Ivy to establish a home in my yard. Now I'm fighting it. It's like the evil empire. I'm pulling it out by hand in the humid heat of NJ August. I don't want to kill any of the other plants it has infested. Any suggestions?
Thanks to any pros out there who have the time and generosity to offer aid to a novice. By the way, I was the nice teacher, not the mean one!

MILSINC
08-05-2007, 08:07 PM
get a wick applicator and some roundup for the ivy. Sealants are generally a waste of time.

Rtom45
08-06-2007, 08:43 AM
There should be some broadleaf control chemicals that are labeled for ivy. These will control the ivy without killing your lawn. I don't have labels handy so I can't tell you what to use off the top of my head. Also, its a bad idea to use chemicals on your lawn if the grass is stressed. Make sure you're not in the middle of a drought or heat wave when you treat the ivy.

JWHomeowner
08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member, Thanks so much for the help on the ivy situation. I have less of a lawn and more of a forest. Mainly I was worried that ivy killer would hurt my holly and other shrubs under which the holly hides. I've been pulling it out by hand but it grows faster as I age quicker! It gets all over the place and invades my neighbors' yards too. It a persistent and hardy adversary, that's for sure. I'll look for the ivy stuff when the heat lets up a little - we are in a heat warning drought here in Jersey right now. Thanks again! JW

Dreams To Designs
08-07-2007, 07:27 AM
JW, ivy is a formidable adversary, but don't give up. You can cut it off from where it is growing and find the correct herbicide to control it. The best application method is with a sponge paint brush, so that none of the desirable plants are affected. This process will likely take a couple of season to gain the upper-hand, but you can win this battle. Remove as much as you are able and and apply the herbicide to what remains.

Roundup has a product out specifically for control of brush and vines. Roundup
Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Pull 'N Spray. It's about $20 for a gallon of ready to use spray and is quite effective, IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

As for the holly, you may have only reduced the berry production for the upcoming season. No cause for concern, if your pruning cuts are careful and correct. You may want to look them over and make sure the pruning cuts are clean and in the correct locations. A sharp pair of pruners or loppers, preferably Felcos and wiped off with alcohol or a bleach solution between plants will prevent spread of pathogens that may lead to disease problems.

Kirk

Newt*
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM
JW, try this with your ivy vines. I used this method to get rid of trumpet vine - campsis radicans that has a similar root invasion habit to other vines like wisteria and ivy. Up until this point I had NEVER used herbicides or pesticides in the garden. Here's what I did and you can do to get rid of it. Put about an inch of Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (you could also use Brush B Gone) in a clear plastic container with a tight fitting lid like you might get at the deli with potato salad. Cut a slit in the lid and insert the tips of the vine in the solution when in active growth (has leaves on it and the leaves need to be in the solution). Leave the vines in the solution for 48 hours and then cut the vines near the lid. To remove the vine from the lid, be sure and take the container to a safe place so that no solution splashes on anything precious. You can reuse the solution until it is all absorbed. Everytime I find a new sprout I do this same procedure. So far there have been no sprouts from areas that were treated this way.

Good luck!
Newt