PDA

View Full Version : help on Replacing engine

mexiking
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm taking out a Kawasaki engine from a 48" encore premier series (Belt Drive), Engine is fc420v s15. I took out the bolts holding it to the mower but now it has like 3 puelleys stuck to the engines shaft that I can't take out, is there a special trick to take them out, I took out whatever bolts it had and still nothing it seems to be stuck. Help Plese...

MattsMowing3535
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, they make a speical tool to pull off pullies and flywheels and such leme try to find you a picture of one.
https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/sealey/AK78.jpg
There called "gear pullers" You should be able to get one at most auto stores or a hardware store. Hopefully that will do the trick...

bobby perez
08-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Try tapping the pulleys lightly with a hammer. Lightly, dont hit it to hard sometimes this works,if not stick with plan A: Gear puller. Where in jersey are you?

Runner
08-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight around you? If not,...there are other suppliers that carry stuff like this. They aren't that expensive, either. Most auto stores carry these.

ed2hess
08-03-2007, 10:50 PM
You didn't mention the clutch ....got to be a little careful putting a puller on it....need to use "crowbar" and hammer on holding bolt(loosened but still in place) to try to "nudge" it down and off. Pullers are fine for the other pulley...usually just one for drive.

LarryF
08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah, they make a speical tool to pull off pullies and flywheels and such leme try to find you a picture of one.
https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/sealey/AK78.jpg
There called "gear pullers" You should be able to get one at most auto stores or a hardware store. Hopefully that will do the trick...

They're fairly inexpensive. A set of 4 of them cost only about 26 bucks. No home should be without them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40965

Breezmister
08-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm taking out a Kawasaki engine from a 48" encore premier series (Belt Drive), Engine is fc420v s15. I took out the bolts holding it to the mower but now it has like 3 puelleys stuck to the engines shaft that I can't take out, is there a special trick to take them out, I took out whatever bolts it had and still nothing it seems to be stuck. Help Plese...

Well, there could be a bolt on the end of the crank shaft, or a 1/4 inch set screw on the pully inline with the keyway, depending on the pully, there might be a second set screw. And lastly, there could be a bushing on the end of the crank that might or may not have (2) 1/4 inch bolts in it, I've seen the bolts get sheared off. These bolts are threaded into the pully through the collar and hold the collar in place. That collar would have 4 holes in it, two threaded and two without threads. if the bolts are there, put them in the threaded holes in the collar to push against the pully. and use alot of PB Blaster.
If that doesn't help. time to get the pullers out:dizzy:

mexiking
08-04-2007, 07:44 AM
thanks guys It was to late yesterday to go get the gear pullers, but I'll do it today, awesome tips. Oh yeah I'm from west Milford to bobbyperez

mexiking
08-05-2007, 03:44 PM
well I still can't get them out even with the gear puller, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

Breezmister
08-05-2007, 04:09 PM
well I still can't get them out even with the gear puller, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

Could you post some pics of what you are trying to get off ?

MattsMowing3535
08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Check for set screws, Im sure there must be a few really small ones that you just didnt see, I do it all the time when Im taking off stuff. Send some pics im sure we could be of more help then!

mexiking
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
allright I'll take em tomorrow morning, I've made some progress it's like halfway out but now its really hard to pull out that the bolt on the gear puller is bending...

mexiking
08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
got the pulleys out Now on the old engine the "KEY" going in the vertical shaft is really stuck, how would I go about taking it out? Any more tips I'd appreciate guys thanks

Breezmister
08-06-2007, 09:13 PM
got the pulleys out Now on the old engine the "KEY" going in the vertical shaft is really stuck, how would I go about taking it out? Any more tips I'd appreciate guys thanks

Well now, that depends :) Are you going to reuse that key, you could go to HomeDepot or any good hardware store, get some key stock and make your own. If it's rusted in and you are not going to use that engine, I'd make a new one. If I'm taking one out, I have a small screw driver that I've tappered the end down like a chisel that will fit in the keyway. With a small hammer, I'll tap the key out trying to get under the key.

mexiking
08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
well I wanted to use it but I just ordered some online instead, I will do what you said to take it out of the other engine though , thanks man, ill keep you guys posted