PDA

View Full Version : when time of year do i seed my yard>??

DillonsLawnCare
08-04-2007, 12:18 PM
hi, im going to be seeding my yard with fescue, and i was wondering when the perfect time of year would be to seed.

thanks

carcrz
08-04-2007, 12:33 PM
September.

lilmarvin4064
08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
september:waving:

DillonsLawnCare
08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
ok, thanks for the input!

RAlmaroad
08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
ok, thanks for the input!

Here in TN, you can seed anytime the ground temp is warm enough to germinate the seeds. Of course you can sow in December, January and February, but the fuscue will not germinate until the temps at night stay warm. The seed will lay there until it warms, When it does sprout you MUST WATER it anytime of the year. September is a good time like the other guys said, but still you are going to have to water it. The cooler temps at night will ****** growing. It will go dormant about Nov 10, or after the first killing frost. I'm a little afraid of September planting becaus the weather is so fickle and if the young sprouts get burnt by frost then that plant will die...I'd trust April for here in TN as most of the time you'll be after the first killing frost. Also then you can take advantage of the spring rain...choose wisely Roy (East TENNESSEE)

TurfProSTL
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
April is a terrible time to seed.....

That young, tender grass will have little chance making it through summer.

Do it in September. The soil is still warm and the cool nights will help, not hurt the seed. Your new grass will have 2 cool seasons, fall and spring, to mature before the onset of next summer.