PDA

View Full Version : What is this slot for?

pequeajim
08-04-2007, 09:54 PM
There is a slot/indent in the back of my 16" blocks. I am wondering what it is for? The blocks are EP Henry Coventry, and this is not the the slot thru the block for the pin, but if you lay the block flat and look at the back, the slot/indent is either on the right or left side going vertical.

Not all the blocks are the same, some left, some right?

chesie
08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
They are marks left by the mold during manufacturing. You just need to take a hammer and rough them up a bit.

pequeajim
08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't think they are mold marks. They are in the same spots, either on the left or right side, and in the back. They seem to relate to the dimension of the slots from the edge of the block.

paponte
08-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm not a big user of EP, but it looks to me they are there if you want to make the block a corner stone. Just take a hammer and chisel and break the block at the markings. I could be wrong.

Grn Mtn
08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
ah, you took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, those are score lines so you can get a rough edge for corner walls.

pequeajim
08-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Ok, I see what you are saying, but why put them on the "back" side of the block? Are you saying that to use them for a corner, I would break the piece off of two blocks to form kind of a 45 degree cut and place them together?

paponte
08-05-2007, 10:00 AM
No, I am saying to break off one end at the score line so the block will have 2 faces now. You will have a front "face" and a side "face". You will have a 90 corner instead of 2 45's, this way you can weave your corners alternating as you build.

cgland
08-05-2007, 11:32 AM
No, I am saying to break off one end at the score line so the block will have 2 faces now. You will have a front "face" and a side "face". You will have a 90 corner instead of 2 45's, this way you can weave your corners alternating as you build.

Exactly!

Chris

ChampionLS
08-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Never ever make 45 degree corners! There's no overlap. Your wall will fall apart. The groove you see is a splitting groove to make a corner yourself. Use a chisel or guillotine to cut the end off.