PDA

View Full Version : Gas hedge trimmer, proper technique??

fender22
08-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi, I just bought a Kawasaki gas powered hedge trimmer. I previously had an electric one which surprisingly worked very well but got sick of not only lugging a lead around but chopping the plugs off them!

Anyway, the Kawasaki works very well and cuts cleanly etc but our hedge is fairly high, around 5 foot and I find it very hard to hold the gas powered trimmer at this height for any length of time. One option would be to do it from a ladder so I would be above the area I was cutting but doesn't seem safe and you have to keep moving the ladder along? I just did my hedges then and feels like my arms are going to fall off! Any ideas?

Also, to keep the machine cutting nicely I seem to have to keep the revs fairly high. Is the machine designed to operate like this for extended periods?

Many thanks in advance

LarryF
08-05-2007, 07:12 AM
If you have a pickup truck, you could try standing in the bed while parked along side of the hedge. That way you could cut 6 feet of hedge and then move the pickup. A scaffold would also work.

Or you might be able to use stilts such as these.

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Stilts.php?gclid=CPDBoNeb3o0CFRyOFQodQQTlmA

Workmen here in the US who plaster and spackle what we call sheetrock (gypsum board) use them to avoid climbing on ladders, but I guess one has to get used to them.