View Full Version : Gas hedge trimmer, proper technique??

08-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi, I just bought a Kawasaki gas powered hedge trimmer. I previously had an electric one which surprisingly worked very well but got sick of not only lugging a lead around but chopping the plugs off them!

Anyway, the Kawasaki works very well and cuts cleanly etc but our hedge is fairly high, around 5 foot and I find it very hard to hold the gas powered trimmer at this height for any length of time. One option would be to do it from a ladder so I would be above the area I was cutting but doesn't seem safe and you have to keep moving the ladder along? I just did my hedges then and feels like my arms are going to fall off! Any ideas?

Also, to keep the machine cutting nicely I seem to have to keep the revs fairly high. Is the machine designed to operate like this for extended periods?

Many thanks in advance

08-05-2007, 08:12 AM
If you have a pickup truck, you could try standing in the bed while parked along side of the hedge. That way you could cut 6 feet of hedge and then move the pickup. A scaffold would also work.

Or you might be able to use stilts such as these.

Workmen here in the US who plaster and spackle what we call sheetrock (gypsum board) use them to avoid climbing on ladders, but I guess one has to get used to them.