PDA

View Full Version : in order of importance

BUSH LOVER
08-05-2007, 09:40 PM
i'm new to this. i'd like to know the aspects of lighting in order of importance. i don't want to put the cart before the horse and i want to do it right. thanks in advance.

klkanders
08-06-2007, 01:17 AM
1. Read everything you can find on it and understand its not always as easy as it looks. Attend any Seminars in your area put on by distributors.

2. Use only professional grade materials suited for your area. (like fixtures made of aluminum,copper,brass,quality low voltage cable,waterproof connections,etc.....)

3. Don't be afraid to make money. Charge for your knowledge and design skills as you progress.

4. Gotta ask is it the president you dig or shrubs? :)

Hope this was what you were looking for...if not........ nevermind.

Chris J
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Well Bush Lover, if your going to ask these types of questions then I guess your going to have to provide just a little more info about yourself now aren't you? Demographics will play a major role in what you should do first, and I really don't know what the competition is like in anytown, USA.
Maybe your first step should be to develop a business plan. Give us some more info, and maybe we can help you out.

BUSH LOVER
08-07-2007, 12:23 AM
what would you say is most important in order

type of fixture
quality of fixture
position
bulb
transformer
cable
connections
other

thanks

David Gretzmier
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Bush- your list misses the most important thing- knowledge of what you are doing. klanders hit it 1st , you didn't mention it, so I'm gonna make the uneasy assumption that you don't know what you are doing. If so, your list doesn't matter. I still rank knowledge first.

the best of everything in the right order will fail if you get your voltage wrong at your fixtures. Even If you get that one thing right, is your load per wire right, or on the trans, bulbs, connections, etc. Man, there is so much to do right and so many things that can go wrong,, that I can't rank anything above knowing what you are doing. once you know that, then all things will fall into place on your list.

If your trans, is no good, your system is no good.
If your wire is no good, ditto
If your connections are... well, you get the idea.

sorry, man, I'd give you the same answer about an irrigation system, Christmas lighting, or chemical lawn care- all take tremendous knowledge to do well.

anthem
08-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I would say none on that list is the most important if you are new to this. If you are an old hand, then they are equally important. I would elaborate a little more than just saying knowledge. I would add experience and ability to that. Knowing everything in the world won't help you if you don't have the ability to utilize that knowledge. I frequently work with lighting/landscape designers, and you know right off the bat who has an idea of what they are doing vs people who call themselves designers and are just trial and error.

You can make up raw ability with lots of experience, and you can make up lack of experience with a lot of raw ability - but if you lack both - its tough to make up.

ar-t
08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I hate to sound snide (although I am good at it......), but are you new to contracting/installing, or just wanting to branch out into lighting?

If the latter........lighting concept and design is what will be most important to you. Until you know and understand lighting, how it is used (or misused), all the catalogues and price lists aren't going to do you a lick of good.

Once you get that down.......best brush up on basic electricity.

The seminars put on by lighting manufacturers would be of great benefit to you. Not only will they educate you on lighting, but most will have some useful information on selling, advertising, and pricing.

As for what lights, etc., to chose.........

A lot of that will eventually come down to what supplier you fell most comfortable dealing with. A really good lighting supplier will be able to steer you in the best direction, as to what to buy and what to avoid.

"Good" implies that they know what works best in the field, not just what they manage to sell a lot of, based on whatever manufacturer is having a blow-out deal on the "fixture-of-the-month".

You will find that you will use only a handful of fixtures for the vast majority of your needs. You will only need to rummage through catalogues for unusual applications.

OK....one last remark, that will probably irk many here, but......

I can always tell when a lighting system that I am repairing was installed by an irrigator.

(If it lessens the sting, I say the same thing when I repair an irrigation system. Yes....I am licensed to do that as well.)