PDA

View Full Version : Why is crabgrass bad?

chuckcintron
08-06-2007, 10:09 AM
This is going to sound like a really dumb question...but I admit I don't know...

This year, I finally decided to get serious about our lawn. It had been the joke of the neighborhood for years, so I religiously followed the Scotts fertilizer program -- and the lawn looks pretty darn nice, now. Very thick, lush grass and no bare spots.

So, I was looking closely at my grass this weekend and noticed that I have at least a couple different varieties. Then, I noticed something...and started to get lightheaded and felt sick to my stomach. Yes, the grass I had been loving was an impostor! Almost all of my lawn is crabgrass :cry:

I ran, tripping and crying into the house and told my wife about my horrific discovery. After I stopped hyperventilating, she said something very interesting. She said: "who cares? it looks really nice".

So, I'll probably put down pre-emergent in the Spring (Dimension), just because I KNOW that crabgrass is really bad. But -- why is it bad? And if it looks nice...who cares?

Thanks
-Chuck

jeffinsgf
08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
The biggest issue is that crabgrass is an annual, so the plants that are thriving now will be dead with the first frost. It will reseed itself and start again in the Spring, but it takes time to grow and spread, during which time you're looking at dirt.

Capemay Eagle
08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
This is going to sound like a really dumb question...but I admit I don't know...

This year, I finally decided to get serious about our lawn. It had been the joke of the neighborhood for years, so I religiously followed the Scotts fertilizer program -- and the lawn looks pretty darn nice, now. Very thick, lush grass and no bare spots.

So, I was looking closely at my grass this weekend and noticed that I have at least a couple different varieties. Then, I noticed something...and started to get lightheaded and felt sick to my stomach. Yes, the grass I had been loving was an impostor! Almost all of my lawn is crabgrass :cry:

I ran, tripping and crying into the house and told my wife about my horrific discovery. After I stopped hyperventilating, she said something very interesting. She said: "who cares? it looks really nice".

So, I'll probably put down pre-emergent in the Spring (Dimension), just because I KNOW that crabgrass is really bad. But -- why is it bad? And if it looks nice...who cares?

Thanks
-Chuck
When you have a beautiful green lawn and you notice a bit off crabgass mixing in, that is when it looks bad.

chuckcintron
08-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Ahhh...right...it's an annual. I didn't realize that, thank you.

So, if I put down a good dose of Dimension in the spring, it should take care of the problem, right? I suppose I'll have to overseed a few weeks later since my lawn is now mostly crabgrass...I'll have a lot of empty space if the Dimension really does its job.

Thanks,
Chuck

jeffinsgf
08-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Knock it down now and seed in the Fall (early September). Your lawn will harden off in the winter and burst forth in the Spring. Fall is generally considered the best time to seed. With most crabgrass pre-emergents, you cannot seed for 6-8 weeks after application and they're not effective until the crabgrass is just ready to germinate. That pushes your seeding into May, which is considered by many to be too late (young grass plants will get burned up by summer heat).

If you really don't have ANYTHING but crabgrass, knock it down with glysophate (RoundUp or equivalent) and seed. If you have a mix of turf and crabgrass, use a selective that will not harm your turfgrass and overseed. If you do it now, you can use a pre-emergent next Spring and put an end to the crabgrass cycle.

Capemay Eagle
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Would not be a bad idea to rent a detacher and detach and give a good hard raking before you seed this fall. Get out all that old dead grass to make room for the new seedlings, plus it breaks up the ground for better germination. You can also put down a good winter guard after your final mowing 20-5-15 this will help with winter hardiness and give a nice spring green up..

jrc lawncare
08-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Ahhh...right...it's an annual. I didn't realize that, thank you.

So, if I put down a good dose of Dimension in the spring, it should take care of the problem, right? I suppose I'll have to overseed a few weeks later since my lawn is now mostly crabgrass...I'll have a lot of empty space if the Dimension really does its job.

Thanks,
Chuck1st question is , you need to be licensed to get Dimension. If you are, fine. Nail it with acclaim at 1 oz per 3 gal should knock it out easily. Or let first frost knock it out.

chuckcintron
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
okay, thanks...I didn't realize Dimension required licensing...if I go that route I'll hire a pro to do it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I'll get rid of the stuff one way or another!! :weightlifter:

GripB
08-08-2007, 07:43 AM
okay, thanks...I didn't realize Dimension required licensing...if I go that route I'll hire a pro to do it.

If you are just a homeowner you can open up a cash account at your local Lesco branch (as I am and I have an account) and purchase Dimension...for use on your property. You will not get the volume discount as the LCO's do.

ATVracer
08-08-2007, 09:39 AM
JRC,

He is doing this on his own yard. No license is necessary.

jrc lawncare
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
JRC,

He is doing this on his own yard. No license is necessary. Dimension is restricted pesticide in NY, you don't purchase it unless you have a pesticide license, doesn't matter if you are using it on your own property or not.

chuckcintron
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Understood.

Does this Dimension stuff put the wild birds on my property at risk? I've got a very diverse population of some great native NYS birds (including bluebirds) sharing my property...I wouldn't want to harm them.

-Chuck