PDA

View Full Version : More than a day?

djmn
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
So I'm doing a larger patio job that's going to take longer than a day to finish. I realize I'll only want to screed as much sand as what I'll be able to accomplish in a day, but my question is at what point in the process is it ok to stop for the day?
Should I complete the whole section (cut pavers, compact down, polymeric sand, etc), or would it be ok to maybe just cut necessary pavers/compact down and wait to add polymeric after the whole patio is finished?
Any concerns if it were to rain overnight?
Thanks

Humble Earth Mover
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Rain is a big concern if you have freshly laid, untamped pavers and/or screeded sand exposed. Make sure you tarp everything at the end of the day. I personally don't tamp one section at a time, nor do I cut in one section at a time, unless they are defined areas. (i.e. two separate tiers, walkway off of patio, etc.) I like to do final tamp and poly-sand all at once in a large area for a more uniform look. I always keep a couple 20x20 tarps on hand in case of unexpected rain.

mrusk
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I always leave tamping and poly sand for the very very last thing. After the plants, mulch, reseeding, etc. It seemed that when ever i tamped and polyed first, we'd get mud in the poly sand and it would stain.

djmn
08-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Great thanks.
Looks like I'll just end up doing all the cutting/tamping/sand all at the end then. I'll put some tarps down overnight just in case.

mrusk
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
On a typical walkway i'll do the base on day 1, day two i will screed the sand, lay the pavers, and cut. Day 3 i do the boarder and edging, then we move on to plantings etc. Last we do the tamping and sand.

I only cover the walk if its going to POUR. I have never had a proablem since i started using concrete sand and not stone dust,

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-06-2007, 09:41 PM
We usually cut and compact after all field pavers are laid.
We ALWAYS cover up any un-finished pavers at the end of the day.
We have not had any decent rain for over a month and are not expecting any for a while, but the job we left today has a 155' long walkway that is covered up at this moment.