PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150 diesel

Capemay Eagle
08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Well by late 2008 The Ford F-150 will be available with a diesel engine. I will be getting one as soon as they are available. Link http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/10/ford_to_offer_d.html

TXNSLighting
08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I have been waiting for this day for so long!!!
Ill be gettin one in about a year and a half to two years! Or a year after they come out!

sildoc
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Can you say wifes vehicle?

Matts lawn care
08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Thats awesome, looks like ford has done it again!

ALarsh
08-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Not so fast... chevy will be also offering a diesel engine in their 1500, and if I remember correctly, it put out more torque than what was listed there compared to ford.

sildoc
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Not so fast... chevy will be also offering a diesel engine in their 1500, and if I remember correctly, it put out more torque than what was listed there compared to ford.

It doesn't matter at this point what the torque and hp is, the fact that they are trying to boost their mpg is the big point. You won't go out ant buy a 1/2 ton truck for work over the 3/4, ton or 1 1/4 ton truck will you? NO. this is all for the MPG. towing capacity will be ok but not that it will stand up like a full size truck.
ford, chevy, dodge or what not the fact that they are trying to get the most selling trucks in America to get what the epa, consumer and root eater wants.

ALarsh
08-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Yes I agree, mpg is a huge factor but if I see Ford or Dodge over there with a large amount of more torque, I sure am going to go check them out.

SiteSolutions
08-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I found this gem in that article:

Since torque has greater impact on towing than horsepower, it's likely the diesel F-150 will tow considerably more.

I have to agree with previous posters that this move is certainly more about mpg than towing. Who would want to tow more than 10,000 pounds with a half ton chassis? Towing 8,000 pounds with one is scary enough. I can't see why (other than bragging rights, of course) they would try to claim a higher towing capacity. It would require more chassis, more brakes, more tranny, more axle, and then you've got a F-250. Maybe they will market a niche vehicle and call it the F-200?:rolleyes: But seriously, I would love to have one in a large SUV for the wife. I am pretty much hooked on one ton trucks for myself.

SiteSolutions
08-07-2007, 12:58 AM

how 'bout a link?

RedWingsDet
08-07-2007, 10:37 AM
every diesel ford releases has problems at first, like most new vechicle releases. Anyway, I'd wait 2 years before buying one.

sildoc
08-07-2007, 10:53 AM
every diesel ford releases has problems at first, like most new vechicle releases. Anyway, I'd wait 2 years before buying one.

This is true when they are building one from scratch but they stated they are going to use one that is already tried and true.

ALarsh
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Out of Car and Driver magazine september 07.

TXNSLighting
08-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Only ford has problems with first year diesels?? i believe it took almost three years for them to get the duramax right. And cummins have had their problems with updated cummins. dont say its just ford.

RedWingsDet
08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Only ford has problems with first year diesels?? i believe it took almost three years for them to get the duramax right. And cummins have had their problems with updated cummins. dont say its just ford.

they all have problems. no matter if its a car or truck, chevy or dodge or ford.

Anyone notice Chrysler has a life time warranty now.

TXNSLighting
08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
still doesnt make me want one! and its not for diesel or good ones that people would want!

stroker51
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
It'll be interesting to see if that GM 1/2 diesel mentioned will truly put out the power it states. My 96 PSD, is around 215 HP stock I believe, and the performance shop that has done some work on it said I should be around 300 with my mods, not sure on my torque numbers, but it will pull WAY more than a 3/4 ton safely should, so what would the point be in having an engine that can evidently pull as much or more than my 3/4 ton's powerstroke in a half ton?

newdude
08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
500ft.lbs.?? sweeeet!

TXNSLighting
08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
like thats alot?

newdude
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
well, not for all diesels, but 4 a 1/2 ton its quite a bit

TXNSLighting
08-15-2007, 10:18 PM
but its a diesel...

02DURAMAX
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
but its a diesel...

yea but still alot for a half ton!!

TXNSLighting
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
but its still a diesel....?!! ha!

TXNSLighting
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
look at the new tundra. 461 lbft torque. not much. i guess im just used to my 810 lbft....

PlatinumLandCon
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Tundra diesel will b released at SEMA this year. I can't wait for this! They're pulling it from Isuzu trucks which is sweet.

edited: watch the language. thanks. jodi

TXNSLighting
08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
It will still be an ugly truck.

PlatinumLandCon
08-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Tundra is so much nicer than gmc/chev and ford IMO
dodge beats them all.

TXNSLighting
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
ha! your funny...dodge doesnt hold a candle to any of em...the cummins does, but not the dodge. but we all have our opinions.

Potchkins
08-22-2007, 04:26 AM
before buying any ford product consider this
http://www.boycottford.com/

TXNSLighting
08-22-2007, 08:53 AM
before buying any ford product consider this
http://www.boycottford.com/

GROW UP!!!

BrandonV
08-22-2007, 08:29 PM
i seriously hope they keep the horsepower low and the fuel mileage up. I get so fustrated because there is sooo much potential for a 1/2ton with a diesel that could eaisly get 25+ mpg
just compare my C7500 that averages ~16mpg hwy unloaded with a f350 equilivent. mine weighs 3 times as much (16k unloaded) and gets similar milage. Why? only around 200hp but 1000ft.lbs. torque

Potchkins
08-23-2007, 11:47 PM
GROW UP!!!

I'm sorry you feel that way, have a blessed day.

TXNSLighting
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
i seriously hope they keep the horsepower low and the fuel mileage up. I get so fustrated because there is sooo much potential for a 1/2ton with a diesel that could eaisly get 25+ mpg
just compare my C7500 that averages ~16mpg hwy unloaded with a f350 equilivent. mine weighs 3 times as much (16k unloaded) and gets similar milage. Why? only around 200hp but 1000ft.lbs. torque

I think thats what ford is going to go for. i think the new powerstroke will be rated at 290 hp and 520 lbft torque. the chevys wantin almosy 315 hp and 500 lbft torque. the engine fords gettin is already producin 31 mpg highway, so well have to see!

Capemay Eagle
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Tundra is so much nicer than gmc/chev and ford IMO
dodge beats them all.
I hate everything Toyota, sorry out of respect for the men who died for America, I would not give them a penny!! I don't forget. I just cannot belive all the people selling out..

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
yeh, keep it american.

PlatinumLandCon
08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Guys, tundras are made in America. American men and women are getting paid by their sales. My dad is the same way..."keep money on our shores..." but its crazy to say this in this day and age. Almost all lower priced cars/trucks that are sold in North America are made here.

Capemay Eagle
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
yeh, keep it american.They set up a few plants and assemble a few trucks and they try and come off as a American truck company. Like I said "assemble" not built, all the parts are made Japan, and that's where the money goes. People can say what they want, some Chevys and Fords are made in Canada and Mexico, but that is the only way to compete because of the unions strangling them, not to mention that they build and sell a complete line of Mexican cars and trucks for the Mexican economy. Just wait till the unions get their hands on Toyota we will see how long they last here..It is a sad fact but at the rate of Toyota expanding, our American companys are in big trouble and are in jeapordy of going out of buisness. I would love to see the big three come together and just put Toyota out of it missery.

Here is a quote about the so called American made Toyota truck you are buying.

: Toyota will make you work harder than physically possible, run full blast continually, (North American Toyota plants produce more than Japan), cut your benefits when times are great, add more temporary positions (according to Toyota, temps stay that way for over two years on average), also when profits are at record levels, terminate workers for legally forming a union,(227 Filipino workers terminated for peaceful picketing), beat their own workers, putting several in the hospital, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Mr. is President of Toyota's HR department and has been quoted as saying, "It may not be moral, and it may not be ethical, but since it's not illegal, we will do it anyway." Toyota cares not for anyone, especially it's own workers. If it weren't for fear of UAW organization, this plant would be 100% temporary workforce with no benefits and no retirement plan (speaking of retirement plan, there still isn't one, yet) As a 16 year veteran worker at TMMK Georgetown, I am deeply saddened that the company that I work for has destroyed the American auto industry by dumping billions of dollars in cash into it's company that GM and others can't compete with.

Thank God for the UAW and the American auto workers. Without them, I wouldn't be paid a quarter of what I do now.

lawnmaniac883
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I think its funny how everyone wants a 1/2 ton with a diesel that gets great mpg, if you need more mpg and a less powerful engine then you dont need a truck, go buy a small car. A 3.5 liter V8 diesel is a very small engine, why not just use a little 4 banger like a cummins 4bt or such? Could easily get the same performance in a much shorter package. Problem with the small diesel is that although unloaded it will get great mileage but it will be a slow truck to drive and will not tow that well. Time will tell.

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
its a 4.5 litre diesel actually and they are quite fast, lightweight in a lighter truck, they will be quick, and they will pull great. a 4bt is the way to go for an engine swap. but most people dont have that kind of time and knowledge of how to do that. Its easier to have it available in the half tons on your local gm and ford lots.

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
They set up a few plants and assemble a few trucks and they try and come off as a American truck company. Like I said "assemble" not built, all the parts are made Japan, and that's where the money goes. People can say what they want, some Chevys and Fords are made in Canada and Mexico, but that is the only way to compete because of the unions strangling them, not to mention that they build and sell a complete line of Mexican cars and trucks for the Mexican economy. Just wait till the unions get their hands on Toyota we will see how long they last here..It is a sad fact but at the rate of Toyota expanding, our American companys are in big trouble and are in jeapordy of going out of buisness. I would love to see the big three come together and just put Toyota out of it missery.

Here is a quote about the so called American made Toyota truck you are buying.

: Toyota will make you work harder than physically possible, run full blast continually, (North American Toyota plants produce more than Japan), cut your benefits when times are great, add more temporary positions (according to Toyota, temps stay that way for over two years on average), also when profits are at record levels, terminate workers for legally forming a union,(227 Filipino workers terminated for peaceful picketing), beat their own workers, putting several in the hospital, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Mr. is President of Toyota's HR department and has been quoted as saying, "It may not be moral, and it may not be ethical, but since it's not illegal, we will do it anyway." Toyota cares not for anyone, especially it's own workers. If it weren't for fear of UAW organization, this plant would be 100% temporary workforce with no benefits and no retirement plan (speaking of retirement plan, there still isn't one, yet) As a 16 year veteran worker at TMMK Georgetown, I am deeply saddened that the company that I work for has destroyed the American auto industry by dumping billions of dollars in cash into it's company that GM and others can't compete with.

Thank God for the UAW and the American auto workers. Without them, I wouldn't be paid a quarter of what I do now.

dang toyota is just a buncha screw ups!

BrandonV
08-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I think its funny how everyone wants a 1/2 ton with a diesel that gets great mpg, if you need more mpg and a less powerful engine then you dont need a truck, go buy a small car. A 3.5 liter V8 diesel is a very small engine, why not just use a little 4 banger like a cummins 4bt or such? Could easily get the same performance in a much shorter package. Problem with the small diesel is that although unloaded it will get great mileage but it will be a slow truck to drive and will not tow that well. Time will tell.

I have to whole hartedly disagree on this. As a business owner who has people other than himself drive his trucks I personally don't care how slow it it. I think it's stupid for people to want a diesel truck that goes 0-60 in under 15seconds. Trucks are for work, not drag racing on a friday night. I want a medium sized truck that I can send a irrigation tech around to do repairs/ small installs without costing me $$$ in fuel. I have a philophacy of having big trucks for the heavy stuff and econmonical trucks for everything else. A fuel efficient diesel would sell like hot cakes, look at all the asplundh chevy 1500s you mean to tell me they would like to double the milage of those trucks? all they do is run up and down the road behind the chipper trucks why have the hp?

mower&more1986
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I have question why do need so much power . Its imo semis need the power but pick up trucks
Haven’t had any power problems but then again I don’t pull a lot. Back in the day they pulled some good size trailer and made do. I’m just saying power is a great but how much do we really need?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-16-2007, 01:40 PM
There is allways room for more power.
Is a 6.0 liter or smaller?
I like the "Wifes truck" classical:laugh:
The trucks are getting bigger and bigger. Ford Chevy Dodge TOYOTA:dizzy:

mower&more1986
09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
and more power means more towing capacity and ease of use.
ok more power is aways a good thing*trucewhiteflag*

TXNSLighting
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
always room for more power. theyll never stop horsepower and torque numbers from rising.