PDA

View Full Version : Line spraying

W.F.D. Plower
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey Guys,
I have to spray parking lines on a lot that has new asphalt. Is there a certain time period I have to wait to put lines down? Or can I do it right away?

NPCA
08-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Best to give it a bit of time but not necessary. Just be sure to use latex or waterborne and at least let the asphalt cool after paving so the paint doesn't have to contract as the hot asphalt cools.
On new asphalt it always is best to do one thin coat then come back with the "real" coat. New asphalt tends to soak up paint and 2 thin coats will look better the next day than one thick coat (the one thick coat will "look" much thinner) because the thin coat kind-of seals the surface.

W.F.D. Plower
08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
This lot was re-paved ten days ago. I have also been using oil based paint because I was told it lasts longer. Is this a problem?
The last time I put on a double coat I got an overspray look. The custumer didn't mind but I didn't like the look of it. I use a pro mark II airless line sprayer.

NPCA
08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
At 10 days it should be no problem.
A good latex will last as well, the main word being "good".
You probably won't need to double coat after this long, just see how it looks after a few stripes.
"Oil" type paints can cause surface cracking along the edges of the lines but some people use it anyway and have no problems. It is just specified by The Asphalt Institute that it be latex on new pavements.

W.F.D. Plower
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info. What would you use to clean your line sprayer? I use toluene(spelling?)

NPCA
08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
That is fine for cleaning with "oil" type paints. But don't store the machine with it inside. Store with mineral spirits.