PDA

View Full Version : 23hp kawi coil gap question

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Just replaced the 2 coils and gapped them to .010 and I only seem to be getting a weak spark and the engine won't even fire up. What am I doing wrong?? Need help!!

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
on better inspection it appears that I am getting no spark. I am confused

Restrorob
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
No offense, But did you install them proper side up ? (plug wire on the bottom)

Disconnect the kill wire on both and check for spark again. The .010 is within spec.

John Stiles
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
What happened that made it necessary to replace the coils? Did you check the timing? ~john

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
I was hoping you would reply restrorob. I will go out and try that right now. Hopefully you stay online :)

I was only getting a spark on one cylinder so I assumed it was the coils and replaced both. Now I get no spark.

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 10:22 PM
OK so it starts will the kill wires pulled? What is the purpose of those wires? I shuts down still with the key with a slight delay. Is that normal??

Restrorob
08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
It still shuts down because you are killing the power to the fuel cut-off solenoid on the carb, It appears you have a safety switch acting up causing it not to start with the kill wires hooked up. Check all the safety switches and try jumping them one at a time and see if you can find the bad one.

Good Luck

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
So the mower (exmark lazer hp) allows you to start it up without being on the mower so I figure it is not the seat switch. The brake and lever arm switches seam to be working because when they are not in the right position the mower will not even turn over. Is it unsafe to run it with just the fuel cutoff for the short term. I am so puzzled and I need to get this thing running for tomorrow and it is getting late and my hair is almost all pulled out

scott's turf
08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
if I disconnect either the left or the right or both kill wires the mower will start but not if I disconnect the connector that goes to the key switch. I was hoping that would work so I could connect everything under the engine and button it all up and just plug in the kill connector when I found the problem. I am wondering if it is now a short in the kill wire between the coil and connector to the mower wiring.

scott's turf
08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
There is no short but I am still confused. The kill wires jump from one coil to the other and if either is disconnected or both of them are disconnected the mower will start. The kill wires come together and plug into a white wire that goes to the key switch. If I disconnect that connector that goes to the key switch but leave the 2 coil connected via the kill wire the mower won't start. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

scott's turf
08-07-2007, 08:11 AM
could there be a problem with the kill relay? How can I test that?

scott's turf
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I think I dentified the problem. Bad new coils!!!!!!!! I put the old ones back on with the known single bad coil with all the kill wires installed and the mower fired right up, all be it on one cylinder. I called the co that I bought the coils from and they said they recently got quite a few calls regarding faulty coils. So I am on my way to pick up 2 more good ones locally and will install shortly. Got to love when a 30 min job takes 8 hrs!!!!!