PDA

View Full Version : What size paver walkway????

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-06-2007, 10:02 PM
What is the typical width of the paver walkways you guys do with a 6x9 soldier course paver? I prefer the look of 4-5ft, but that can get pricey for a lot of people.

richallseasons
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
unless it is a very formal main entrance walk and can support the width, most of our work is in the 3.5 to 4.5 width

mrusk
08-07-2007, 06:07 AM
I almost refuse to do a front walk under 5 feet. I just did 2 at 6 and 6.5 and they look unbeliveable!

Run the #s, it really does not cost that much more to make the walkway 1 foot wider.

Dreams To Designs
08-07-2007, 07:00 AM
A walkway should be a minimum of 5' to allow two people to walk side by side. A pathway can be anything less, like a path to the backyard or driveway. The more impressive the entranceway, the more impressive the walkway should be. I have seen more than my share of 3' pathways to front doors and they look ridiculous. If you are going to use a 6"x9" soldier course, it looks best on a wider walk, at least 5'. If you must go smaller, consider a sailor course for a better flow.

Kirk

Humble Earth Mover
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Think about exposed pattern. Anything under 4 feet and I do a sailor course. Depends on the room to play with. In some developments where the front door is less than 20 feet from the driveway, I don't go super wide, especially with a serpentine walk. When you throw in curves and flairs, you need a nice long run to do 5' wide and have it look good. I remember my first paver walk I did at 42" wide and used a 6x12 soldier course, man did that look dumb!

mrusk
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Think about exposed pattern. Anything under 4 feet and I do a sailor course. Depends on the room to play with. In some developments where the front door is less than 20 feet from the driveway, I don't go super wide, especially with a serpentine walk. When you throw in curves and flairs, you need a nice long run to do 5' wide and have it look good. I remember my first paver walk I did at 42" wide and used a 6x12 soldier course, man did that look dumb!

LOL my first walk looked kinda dumb too. I could not figure how that i should have a equal grade from the driveway to the stoop.