PDA

View Full Version : lapping kawasaki valves

barnard
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Restrorob or other knowledgeable Kawasaki type mechanic. Is the 300 hour valve lap really ever done or necessary on the FH721V? I've adjusted the valve lash twice 300,500 hrs But Hate to pull the heads and lap the valves unless its needed. Thanks, Ray

Restrorob
08-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Ray,

As long as the engine is running fine I have never tore into one just for that. I may get flamed for that statement but I just don't see a point if it's running fine.

Now, The little Ole lady/man that putts around 1/2 throttle mowing could cause a excessive amount of carbon build-up on the piston/valves then have a issue which would require a tear-down, de-carbon and possible valve work.

But, If a engine is ran at full throttle while mowing as most OEM's state there is less carbon build-up so less chance of needing that de-carbon valve lap job.

JMO......

barnard
08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks, That was my thinking, but its based on my general experience with engines as this is my first Kawasaki(other than motorcycles back in the day). Can you give any type of estimate on hours before a valve job, or does it vary too much?

Restrorob
08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
There is just no way to tell, Proper maintenance plays a big role to engine/part life. I have seen engines with 1900 plus hours and never been opened up but on the other hand I have done valve jobs at around 6/700 hours.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless the time comes.

I can't tell customers enough about proper maintence.......