PDA

View Full Version : Is there any benefit to an oil change?

casey
09-06-2001, 06:00 PM
Is there any benefit in an oil change on a unit that had fresh oil put in before going into storage & has sat for over a year?
Thanks.

Cleve
09-06-2001, 06:35 PM
Probably not.
But funny things happen when units are stored unused for that length of time. Condensation can form in the crankcase from temperature changes and that can cause problems in the oil.
I think I would start the engine and after warming up I would change the oil. Just to be safe.
Cleve.

casey
09-06-2001, 06:53 PM
If the oil will be changed after long term storage due to the possibility of condensation, is there any point in an oil change before the unit is stored?

cantoo
09-06-2001, 06:55 PM
A couple of litres(quarts) of oil cost next to nothing compared to the cost of a new or rebuilt motor, cheap insurance.

linky
09-06-2001, 07:47 PM
I would be concerned storing an engine with dirty oil. It seems to me that the dirt in the oil would settle to the bottom and cause or add to sludge build-up.

Dochere
09-06-2001, 08:05 PM
Cantoo and Linky both make good points, also, oil does have a shelf life. Better be safe than sorry.

Fish
09-06-2001, 09:25 PM
Shelf life? Does it have a born on date? Ever wonder why oil has
tamper proof seals and ketchup does not?
Fish

fivestarlawnken
09-06-2001, 09:58 PM
If this machine makes you money don't fret about a few dollars and oil.Five bucks on oil is cheaper than an engine!!;)

point
09-06-2001, 11:38 PM
It is best to change oil before storage it gets the acids out that could be
attacking the metals thruout the storage interval.

There is really no reason to change oil after the storage interval unless
you need a viscosity change. the only thing that can happen to oil during
the storage is condensation could add a small amount of water to the oil
I say small amount because this amount will do no harm at all.
as soon as the oil comes up to temp. the water will boil off, oddly enough
1 startup when cold say 5 to 15 F will produce more water in the oil than sitting
all winter.

Dochere, oil degrades VERY slowly under 100 degrees something like 70 years
oil stored at room temp would show no detectable change after 10 years.

Very nice site by the way I learn a lot
mark

awm
09-07-2001, 03:46 PM
old burnt oil developes corrosiveness ive heard. so id change before storage. then at regular intervals after you put it back into service

09-07-2001, 08:48 PM
I'd be inclined to do an oil change just before winter storage (used oil can have some corrosive traces in it) but if the machine is stored in a stable environment for the winter I don't see a problem with condensation buildup.

Now, if there are fairly pronounced changes in temperature/humidity where your machine is stored, than condensation might be a concern.

Either way, once you compare the cost of oil to the cost of engine work, it's pretty easy to come out in favour of "Oil change"! :)