PDA

View Full Version : Serious thumping in the brake pedal

GLLawns
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
A couple of weeks ago my neighbor and I replaced the brake pads all the way around on my 2003 Dodge Durango. The guys at the parts store said the rotors were ok and didn't need to be turned or replaced. The brakes were good for about 10 miles but, the thumping in the pedal started up again gradually until there was a squeek noise when coming to a slow roll. This weekend we took off the rotors, had them turned, and reassembled them again. They did the exact same thing as above and now I'm at a loss what this could be. :cry: The only other thing I can think of is a bad caliper(s)? I have to get this fixed asap, any help is greatly appreciated. If no solution is found I will have to take it to the man, I just don't want to get bent over the counter when they give me a price. Thanks again for any help...

grandview (2006)
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Sometimes when you turn them it's not enough,you may have to get new ones. Is it disk all the way around?

Bill Kapaun
08-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm really not up to snuff on ABS etc., but-
Since you had the rotors OFF to get them checked, could it be that something, (rotor, bearings, ???) weren't properly torqued down.
Did you have the brakes pressure bled? (Fluid should be replaced every 2-3 years anyway, since it's hygroscopic)
My thinking here is that if you have air on one side, maybe the opposite side brake is trying to carry the entire braking load for that "axle" and is going into ABS mode.

khouse
08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Since your rotors were resurfaced and you still have a thumping in the brake pedal I think it's in your anti lock brake feature. It would not be the calipers or bearings. If your bearings or calipers are loose as soon as you apply the brakes it all straitens out. Now if you were having noises and thumps without the brakes applied then I could be these other issues. But you have problems when the brake is applied.

GLLawns
08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Sometimes when you turn them it's not enough,you may have to get new ones. Is it disk all the way around?

It is disc breaks all the way around.

grandview (2006)
08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Long shot did maybe a cord shift in one of the tires?

http://www.dodgeforum.com/recalls-and-tsbs/make_DODGE/model_DURANGO/year_2003/id_0500703/TSB.htm

fixer67
08-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Check you fuse panel for a fuse labeled "ABS". If your truck has it (some "hide" the ABS fuse) remove the ABS fuse. The ABS light on the dash will come on showing that the ABS is disabled. Then drive it. If the problem is still there then it most likely not the ABS. Replace the fuse and look more. It the problem does stop then there is a problem in the ABS system. You may have a bad controller or a bad sensor. A friend of mind have a problem like that and it turned out to be a pinched wire going to a wheel sensor.

olyman
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
as fixer said----or the controller on the side of the master cyl went south--

GLLawns
08-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies all. I ended up just taking it to the man and got stuck for $320.00 for new all new rotors. The new rotors made a huge difference, but what do you know they are starting to make a high pitch sound again. Guess it's back to the shop for some warranty work this time. I can't wait until the end of the year, the Durango will be traded in on a new Ram 2500. Neighbor is giving me his Chrysler discount and with the end of year sales and rebates they offer in November/December I should make out pretty good. I was just going to get a truck for cash but since there are so many things going wrong with the Durango, I decided to dump it. Oh and before I forget my neighbor says that the seals or something on the driveshaft on the right side is leaking fluid. Apparently he says that will be a pocket buster of a repair and that he cannot do that one.