PDA

View Full Version : Queen Palm tree growth

suzookryder
08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
the center growth on this queen palm tree (new palm fans) are not growing straight. I have tried to straighting it out but it will not move. Any suggestions? The tree is about 12 feet tall.

Focal Point Landscapes
08-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Are the fronds growing out crooked or is the trunk crooked ? A picture might explain it better.

suzookryder
08-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I planted the tree about 3-4 years ago. The trunk is fine, it is straight. The fronds are grwoing out crooked.

Focal Point Landscapes
08-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I am not experienced with queen palms because they won't winter here , but I assume that it produces fronds one at a time as opposed to a 'throw' , or multiple fronds at one time . Unless there is a significant sunlight deficiency that would cause the plant to grow toward light , the crown of all palms should produce fronds vertical to the ground - the only exception that I have seen is a sick or diseased plant where the crown is rotting or dying. I realize that is not much help , but I think the plant has a problem that needs the attention of an expert - there are a lot a good palm websites , some of them out of your state . I like plantapalm.com , which is a Florida site - lots of helpful stuff strictly focused on palms and cycads.