PDA

View Full Version : Hadco or Kichler transformer

dave k
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Which transformer is the better brand? I have 2 companys quoting me a job, one uses Hadco the other Kichler, the Kichler is warrantied for life per the quote.

NightScenes
08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Both transformers are manufactured by MDL. I use the Kichler Pro Series transformers.

klkanders
08-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Kichler Pro's here also!

Chris J
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I posted a response to this last night, but I don't know what happened to it.
Anyway, if both transformers are stainless they should both carry a lifetime warranty. Hadco and Kichler are both reputable brands, so I don't really think there is a bad choice here. However, a poorly trained contractor can make a real mess of your project with even the finest products. You should focus your attention more on the contractor, his experience and knowledge rather than what brand of transformer he is using.

dave k
08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone, the Hadco installer said he uses the Kichler, so I made up my mind and went with a local company, he installs in 4 states.

Chris J
08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
"He" installs in 4 states? Or is it his franchise installs in 4 states? What's the name of this traveling contractor, if I may ask?

Pro-Scapes
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I got a good idea who it is and if its this company you may wish to reconsider.

I would use a local company who wont have any problem taking good care of you after the sale. There are at least 2 reputable contractors that service georgia on this site. Even if they are slightly higher I doubt you will be disapointed in either of them. And yes... hadco and kichler are both good products but be sure that one isnt coming in with alluminum and the other brass... be sure your carefully comparing the offerings. Also ask WHY you should use them over the other guy. See if thier serivce outline blows the other guy out of the water.

I always preffer to use local resources when feesible.. Especially for something that may need service down the line such as lighting.

Chris J
08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah, something smells really fishy about this. I've been called out of my area before, but I don't know of anybody that outwardly claims to serve four different states. Anybody here spread themselves that thin?
If I were to cover anything outside of 100 miles, I wouldn't dare offer any type of service agreement without a very big pricetag associated with it. Dave K, you might want to make sure to ask all of these questions before you sign on the dotted line.

Pro-Scapes
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
the only time we do out of state work is to either help other contractors (sub work) or for people we know. I could see if you lived on a border using an out of state guy from the nieghboring state or possibly even a franchise that will be there to service you. I can see servicing and becoming licsensed in a nieghboring state if your close to a border.

We will be doing 3 out of state installs this year... 2 are for family(all expenses paid plus costs) and 1 is a sub contract deal where the landscaper will be fully able to service the system.

In all reality I think most of us here take alot of pride in the fact we are smaller companies and offer small company service. Ever try and get something serviced when you buy it at a big box store ?

dave k
08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I sent a PM to Billy with the company's name and his quote to me, The owner is a local guy who lives the next town over, maybe 15 min. away, he does business in Ga. Al.FL. NC & SC, the business name is "Lighting up the South" Bethlehem Ga. Richard Scott is the owner. He does allot of work in the Ga. Club which is close by, big dollar homes, I felt comfortable with him, he was the only company that actually gave me a detailed CAD drawing of the plan and delivered it to me, the others just came out and wrote a quote, which is OK, but this seemed more professional, he uses all Kichler lighting and transformer, a stainless steel 600 watt. The other co. I was going to go with was NightVision Outdoor lighting, but the draw back was they were over an hour away. Give me your thoughts.
Dave

NightScenes
08-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Just in case, here are some top notch lighting guys in Georga.

Matthew Broyles
Firefly Lighting LLC
265 Plantation Way
Roswell , GA 30075
Phone: (404) 275-4368
FAX: (404) 252-0664
E-Mail: fireflyatlanta@yahoo.com

Dan Davis
Ewing Irrigation
4080 Nine McFarland Dr.
Alpharetta , GA 30004
Phone: (770) 410-5731
FAX: (770) 410-5732
E-Mail: dandavis78@gmail.com

David Homansky
Southeastern Outdoor Lighting
2798 Lawrence Mill Run
Marietta , GA 30068
Phone: (770) 402-8837
FAX:
E-Mail: seolatlanta@gmail.com

Jim Norsworthy
Nightscenes, Inc.
3049 Sawyer Terrace
Marietta , GA 30066
Phone: (770) 924-2395
FAX:
E-Mail: nightscenes@bellsouth.net

Chris Wakefield
The Outdoor Lights
3335 Hutchinson Road, Suite #A2
Cumming , GA 30040
Phone: (770) 844-1760
FAX: (770) 844-1747
E-Mail: chris@theoutdoorlights.com

dave k
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Nightscapespaul.

Pro-Scapes
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I sent a PM to Billy with the company's name and his quote to me, The owner is a local guy who lives the next town over, maybe 15 min. away, he does business in Ga. Al.FL. NC & SC, the business name is "Lighting up the South" Bethlehem Ga. Richard Scott is the owner. He does allot of work in the Ga. Club which is close by, big dollar homes, I felt comfortable with him, he was the only company that actually gave me a detailed CAD drawing of the plan and delivered it to me, the others just came out and wrote a quote, which is OK, but this seemed more professional, he uses all Kichler lighting and transformer, a stainless steel 600 watt. The other co. I was going to go with was NightVision Outdoor lighting, but the draw back was they were over an hour away. Give me your thoughts.
Dave

dont rule someone out because they are an hour away. We often work at that distance and STILL exceed our clients expectations. I read your quote you sent me. It seems cheap... almost too cheap. Would make me suspicious of something.

I have enjoyed these threads with feedback from homeowners. Teaching me alot about thier thoughts and considerations in selecting a contractor.

There is nothing wrong with getting more than 2 proposals and design ideas. Just try to respect the contractor/designers time.

Only 2 guys I can vouch for on pauls list is Southeastern and Firefly... both do great work and are active in our industry for the better.

BUSH LOVER
08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Just in case, here are some top notch lighting guys in Georga.

Matthew Broyles
Firefly Lighting LLC
265 Plantation Way
Roswell , GA 30075
Phone: (404) 275-4368
FAX: (404) 252-0664
E-Mail: fireflyatlanta@yahoo.com

Dan Davis
Ewing Irrigation
4080 Nine McFarland Dr.
Alpharetta , GA 30004
Phone: (770) 410-5731
FAX: (770) 410-5732
E-Mail: dandavis78@gmail.com

David Homansky
Southeastern Outdoor Lighting
2798 Lawrence Mill Run
Marietta , GA 30068
Phone: (770) 402-8837
FAX:
E-Mail: seolatlanta@gmail.com

Jim Norsworthy
Nightscenes, Inc.
3049 Sawyer Terrace
Marietta , GA 30066
Phone: (770) 924-2395
FAX:
E-Mail: nightscenes@bellsouth.net

Chris Wakefield
The Outdoor Lights
3335 Hutchinson Road, Suite #A2
Cumming , GA 30040
Phone: (770) 844-1760
FAX: (770) 844-1747
E-Mail: chris@theoutdoorlights.com

Nice copy and paste job. FYI your second referral is not an installer but a distributor. I wonder if you'd appreciate it if someone gave an owner 5 names to contact on a job you had already bid on and was the front runner to get.

ccfree
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Paul, how in the heck do you know Dan Davis? By the way Bush...some distributors know lighting real well and can help refer jobs to you guys...

Chris J
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Bush Lover,
I wonder if you would appreciate it if someone gave you 5 names of reputable contractors if you were the homeowner who was about to get bent over by some jerk-off posing as a professional lighting contractor? Why, exactly, do you think this forum exists? Maybe to help people?
I personally wouldn't throw out a bunch of names unless I knew these people (and their work) very well. However, I do know that these mentioned names are people who are at least envolved in the betterment of the industry.

NightScenes
08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I have no problem with people checking me out and comparing me against the competition. As a matter of fact, I tell them to please check me out. Look at my credentials and projects before making a decision to spend thousands of dollars with me.

I must say that Dan Davis does know more about lighting than most of the guys out there sticking lights in the ground.

My distributor is certified. He doesn't need to be, but it sure means that he knows his stuff.

High Performance Lighting
08-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I have no problem with people checking me out and comparing me against the competition. As a matter of fact, I tell them to please check me out. Look at my credentials and projects before making a decision to spend thousands of dollars with me.

I must say that Dan Davis does know more about lighting than most of the guys out there sticking lights in the ground.

My distributor is certified. He doesn't need to be, but it sure means that he knows his stuff.

Being so your from Texas I'm assuming your a Bush lover too. Don't tell me your like those Dixie chicks now ya hear.

08-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Bush Lover,
I wonder if you would appreciate it if someone gave you 5 names of reputable contractors if you were the homeowner who was about to get bent over by some jerk-off posing as a professional lighting contractor? Why, exactly, do you think this forum exists? Maybe to help people?
I personally wouldn't throw out a bunch of names unless I knew these people (and their work) very well. However, I do know that these mentioned names are people who are at least envolved in the betterment of the industry.boy you best be changin your tone with me. I can buy and sell you ten times over.

Chris J
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Mike,
Had a bit much to drink tonight? I don't know what the hell your trying to say here so please advise. I'm ready for the challenge, I can assure you of that.

BUSH LOVER
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your help High Performance but I can handle things myself. Gee some of you guys are wound real tight. Cut me some slack.

08-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Mike,
Had a bit much to drink tonight? I don't know what the hell your trying to say here so please advise. I'm ready for the challenge, I can assure you of that.

I'm trying to help out Bush league. He gave Nightscapes a little run for his $ so I figured I'd throw him a bone. You keep defending my arch enemy Nightscapes and I'm taking you off my Christmas list. So there.

Chris J
08-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Well stop doing that. I had to go take a blood pressure pill because of your a**!
Besides, I told you before that I don't have to agree with your ass to be your friend. I'll keep you on my Christmas card list because I know I stand taller (yet poorer) than you.

08-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Well stop doing that. I had to go take a blood pressure pill because of your a**!
Besides, I told you before that I don't have to agree with your ass to be your friend. I'll keep you on my Christmas card list because I know I stand taller (yet poorer) than you.

I was just breaking your balls a little with the buy and sell bs. I was reponding in the voice of Bush. Nothing personal just kidding. Who knows maybe he can buy and sell you ten times over, though it's yet to be seen. Hope to hear more from the Bush leager.:)

Chris J
08-10-2007, 10:33 PM
The pill is working....I'm alot more like I am now than I was when I came here (figure that one out)

08-10-2007, 10:41 PM
The pill is working....I'm alot more like I am now than I was when I came here (figure that one out)

Chris in the next month or so I'm going to send you a product I'm developing and ask you to test it, put it through it's rigors and ask for your opinion. I will have a return label for you to send it back to me. If I don't receive it back with your comments within 2 weeks of sending I will have your legs broken. Fair enough?
This product is going to change the landscape lighting world forever. You should feel honored to be chosen for this task. Are you game or should I send to Eddie Clemons instead?:clapping:

Chris J
08-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Ha Ha Ha!!!! You should probably send it to Eddie if you want the most accurate response, but I will accecpt the challenge. Bring it on.

Chris J
08-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Mike,
After reading this post again, I felt the need to thank you for your trust. Obviously you think enough of me to trust me with your product, and I didn't pick up on this in my initial reading of your post. I would be honored to test your product, and I would consider it a great priviledge to be the first to see your new designs. You may contact me with any provisions you may have, otherwise, I look forward to seeing your designs.

Chris J
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
On another note, I don't know that you will receive it back in 2 weeks! That's just not enough time to evaluate any product. But, maybe it is not an ordinary lighting product? Anyway, don't be mad if it doesn't come back in 2 weeks.

08-11-2007, 01:24 AM
On another note, I don't know that you will receive it back in 2 weeks! That's just not enough time to evaluate any product. But, maybe it is not an ordinary lighting product? Anyway, don't be mad if it doesn't come back in 2 weeks.

Chris, you will have the honor of being a part of history. Barry Bond's achievement this week won't hold a candle to this.:laugh: :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
mike good to see you back on here. I been away for a few weeks it seems. Had us a nice vacation in cali and did the garlic festival (I grew up in gilroy) Amazing to see the price of homes out there! My friends just bought a 2 bedroom 1 bath house about 1100 sq ft... worth 600k... unreal.

Dunno if you can trust them florida boys with your secret. They get a bit too much sun on thier noggins. Chris and his pills (also read as budwieser) makes me wonder sometime. Just finished an install in the 102 degree heat. I think I know why them flordians are like they are!

All in good fun Chris... no need for another pill!

08-11-2007, 07:59 PM
mike good to see you back on here. I been away for a few weeks it seems. Had us a nice vacation in cali and did the garlic festival (I grew up in gilroy) Amazing to see the price of homes out there! My friends just bought a 2 bedroom 1 bath house about 1100 sq ft... worth 600k... unreal.

Dunno if you can trust them florida boys with your secret. They get a bit too much sun on thier noggins. Chris and his pills (also read as budwieser) makes me wonder sometime. Just finished an install in the 102 degree heat. I think I know why them flordians are like they are!

All in good fun Chris... no need for another pill!

Hey Billy, not really back on. I saw someone criticize Nightscapes and I couldn't control myself . I was overwhelmed with joy and took the opportunity to pile on. But since no one has joined in I see the loyalty to the Longhorn :cry: runs deep so I'm going back into my sequestration (is that a word ?) I may be including you in my product evaluation so stay tuned.

regards,
Mike G

Lite4
08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey Mike, I'm with Billy. It's good to be hearing from you again. I am anxious to hear about your product. Always looking for something cutting edge to give to my clients. Let us know when you have more info you can release about it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey Mike G. Whatever you are cooking up.... If you want to properly test your product for the elements let me know... get it to me before December 1st and put it to our winter testing.... Here in Port Sydney we usually get a cold snap of about -40 for a week or so in January and regularly have seasonal accumulations of 10 to 14 feet of snow. You would be amazed at how many lighting products fail in these conditions.

If your idea is a Digital Hour Meter for measuring accumulated on-time on a transformer.... forget it.... ;) I thought that one up and gave it to Nightscaping last year. T-SS-HM is the part number. A great tool for monitoring system maintenace intervals in seasonal / vacation markets where people don't use their system every night.

Have a great day. :canadaflag:

08-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey Mike G. Whatever you are cooking up.... If you want to properly test your product for the elements let me know... get it to me before December 1st and put it to our winter testing.... Here in Port Sydney we usually get a cold snap of about -40 for a week or so in January and regularly have seasonal accumulations of 10 to 14 feet of snow. You would be amazed at how many lighting products fail in these conditions.

If your idea is a Digital Hour Meter for measuring accumulated on-time on a transformer.... forget it.... ;) I thought that one up and gave it to Nightscaping last year. T-SS-HM is the part number. A great tool for monitoring system maintenace intervals in seasonal / vacation markets where people don't use their system every night.

Have a great day. :canadaflag:

Thanks James but what I have is impervious to hot and cold weather. I still remember the days years back of my giving every idea to Bill Locklin. No Mo!:usflag:

TXNSLighting
08-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Cant wait to see or hear of your new product mike G., and welcome back.

ar-t
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Never used the Kichler. I have used the Hadco, but prefer the FX. I am spoiled having an 11 V tap. Handy with short runs and high line voltage.

ccfree
08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes sir ar-t. I agree with you completely. although wished the 900w tranny had the 11 volt tap as well. It comes in so handy.

bmwsmity
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Which transformer is the better brand? I have 2 companys quoting me a job, one uses Hadco the other Kichler, the Kichler is warrantied for life per the quote.

From what I've seen in the field...I'd never consider a Hadco over Kichler. I had a customer with a $1mil home call me up because the wires running through his garage wall had melted down and put black marks up the wall. Hadco transformer. It even melted down the plastic around the taps, but the breakers never kicked off.

I installed a new Kichler trans to see why this happened, and the breakers kicked off in about 2 seconds. I put my amp probe on the runs to find out why it was kicking, and it was because the 12/2 wire was running 27 AMPS! Just a bit overloaded, eh?

Needless to say, after seeing this I would never use a Hadco trans.

JoeyD
09-12-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=200156

check it out.

bmwsmity
09-12-2007, 08:36 PM

check it out.

Well, of course ;)

When between Hadco or Kichler, I'd go Kichler, but between Hadco, Kichler, and Unique, I definitely take Unique :drinkup:

JoeyD
09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey bmwsmity who do I make the check too........?

LOL just kidding, next thing I know everyone will be a Unique fan!!

Thanks for the props!!

Joey D.

NightScenes
09-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Joey, I love you man but I'll stick with the MDL Kichler transformers.

JoeyD
09-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I can tell your gonna be expensive Paul!!!........lol

NightScenes
09-12-2007, 10:08 PM
You should know that I'm not a cheap date.

JoeyD
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
hey I saw the way you eat ribs!!!! I know it cant be cheap!

LOL

irrig8r
10-16-2007, 02:27 AM

check it out.

Jeez. Talk about a shameless plug....

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Jeez. Talk about a shameless plug....

Easy irrig8r he's a sponsor of the forum. Talk like that will get you ousted from here faster than Mr. Gambino.

irrig8r
10-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Pete, you can call me Gregg.

I just call 'em as I see 'em.

And I didn't mean to bump this thread up, I was just looking through some posts by Gambino to see when he disappeared, and couldn't help myself when I came across Joey D's post. I suppose it was a knee jerk reaction... but I won't apologize...

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Pete, you can call me Gregg.

I just call 'em as I see 'em.

And I didn't mean to bump this thread up, I was just looking through some posts by Gambino to see when he disappeared, and couldn't help myself when I came across Joey D's post. I suppose it was a knee jerk reaction... but I won't apologize...

No need to apologize just wanted to inform. Thought you should know before your 86ed from here like Gambino was. I heard he's serving his time somewhere in the midwest.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I think Joey can take it no worries...he's gonna have to...lol...he's allowing us to mention other mfrs which is very cool...a few motnhs ago jeez, you mention kichler or kim and the post was gone minutes later...this is a much better forum the past 2 months for sure!!!

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I fear no competition!! We have always been on the other side of the fence so I can handle it!