PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Prices

dozerman21
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm working on getting some concrete bids for my barn floor. I know several different companies that I work with regularly, and all do pretty good work.

I'm going to get estimates from 2 or 3 of the crews that I know the best. I have given these guys breaks on excavating work that I've done for them in the past, basically, the buddy rate. I'm hoping they'll do the same for me. A couple of the guys said they would, but come crunch time, I've had other guys in the past try to make a pretty penny on the "buddy" price that they gave me.

What I'd like to know is... what is a below average to fair price for concrete work? Around here, if you don't know anyone, the contractors will charge twice what the concrete cost. Example: If someone had a 20 yard job at $90/yard, the job would cost $3,600. That usually includes the concrete, forming, and labor. It usually does not include the fill or any loader work. Those are the higher end figures. Most of the contractors get somewhere around an $11/yard discount over what Joe Blow will get charged, since they buy it everyday.

My job will be a two pour, two machine trowels at the same time (most likely) job. I'm going to need app. 90 yards. I'm doing all the base work, they'll be providing the concrete, floating, finishing, and saw cutting the break joints.

What do you guys think about what I should expect to pay per foot, or per yard? That's how they will bid it. Is it fair to pass their bulk discount on to me?

Tell me what kind of prices that you guys would look for, since most of us know or work around someone who does flatwork.

meets1
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Flat work - crete here is $95 / yard. Buddy system with me is they'll do it but tell me to pay for the cement and pay them what I think there worth. So 2 hour job - 3 guys - (include yourself to be run around man) 6 total hours plus maybe there screeder and tools - give him $300. He is still paying his guys $125 - $20 and still making money. This is per pour of 10 yds. Maybe your spraying, landscaping whatever for him and you also give him a break.

Assuming your 20 yd job is flat, formed etc. Usually I have all that ready, formed up, filled, pamped, r-bar in etc.

Just what I have done in the past.

ksss
08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Around here you would pay in the of $2.00 a square foot for 4" 3000 psi concrete. Your going thicker and heavier plus fiber. I don't know what the cost of that would be.

AWJ Services
08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Labor for pouring ,finishing and cutting joints around 35 a yard.

RockSet N' Grade
08-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Around here 3,000 psi concrete is $120 a yard. Finishers are charging between $.75- $1.00 a square foot for finishing. To me, concrete is a one shot deal to get it right. I have always tried to have more guys than I have needed on a job, just in case it started to get away from us. A way that worked out good for me was to pay them each a day rate ( decided by their foreman before the job started) and pay them cash and buy lunch/beer. That is not for production jobs or Happy HomeOwner Jobs.......that was/is for me personal stuff. I have always requested a sealer to be sprayed on also and when they saw cut, I have always had it broom swept clean at the time of saw cutting.

wanabe
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
$1.00-$1.50 labor here, with most at the higher area. 1 machine(36 inch) will do the trick, along with 1 other guy running edges.

dons
08-07-2007, 11:46 PM
We'd be paying 85 cents a square foot for finishing & cutting if it was ready to pour and 90 a yard on the concrete.

SinjonAssociates
08-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I get it for $3.00 square ft. 4" with rebar, truck or skid accessable and graded close to finish level.
George

P.Services
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
i would pull up my pants, call some buds, get the bud and do it my self. go rent a power trowel and walk behind saw. its not hard to do what so ever, screed it with a 20' 2x4 let it set up till you can walk on it on go at it. i did the crete in my dads barn (im 19) and its so smooth and shinny you can see your reflection in it.

qps
08-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm working on getting some concrete bids for my barn floor. I know several different companies that I work with regularly, and all do pretty good work.

I'm going to get estimates from 2 or 3 of the crews that I know the best. I have given these guys breaks on excavating work that I've done for them in the past, basically, the buddy rate. I'm hoping they'll do the same for me. A couple of the guys said they would, but come crunch time, I've had other guys in the past try to make a pretty penny on the "buddy" price that they gave me.

What I'd like to know is... what is a below average to fair price for concrete work? Around here, if you don't know anyone, the contractors will charge twice what the concrete cost. Example: If someone had a 20 yard job at $90/yard, the job would cost $3,600. That usually includes the concrete, forming, and labor. It usually does not include the fill or any loader work.
Those are the higher end figures. Most of the contractors get somewhere around an $11/yard discount over what Joe Blow will get charged, since they buy it everyday.

My job will be a two pour, two machine trowels at the same time (most likely) job. I'm going to need app. 90 yards. I'm doing all the base work, they'll be providing the concrete, floating, finishing, and saw cutting the break joints.

What do you guys think about what I should expect to pay per foot, or per yard? That's how they will bid it. Is it fair to pass their bulk discount on to me?

Tell me what kind of prices that you guys would look for, since most of us know or work around someone who does flatwork.

I paid around 3.00 s.f. for 5" fibermesh, pump truck, 40ft trench drains, finish grade the stone and prep..or course sawcut and sealed. see my pics in my new shop pic thread, it has all the pics.

Gravel Rat
08-09-2007, 12:48 AM
If your power trowling the floor gotta go with steel mesh or rebar grid you go with kitty hair (fiber mesh) you will have fuzzies sticking up everywhere. Its really hard to power trowel concrete with kitty hair.

I have forgot what we pay here for forming and placing and I know power troweling is extra. Its all by the square foot nothing is by the yard.

dozerman21
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the replies...

i would pull up my pants, call some buds, get the bud and do it my self. go rent a power trowel and walk behind saw. its not hard to do what so ever, screed it with a 20' 2x4 let it set up till you can walk on it on go at it. i did the crete in my dads barn (im 19) and its so smooth and shinny you can see your reflection in it.

No thanks. Too risky with this much concrete. I want it done right. I can do small things like walks, but like RSG said, this is a one shot deal.

Meets1- I'd like to go about it the same way you and RSG described. Only difference is this is a 90 yard job, not 20. I'll see what I can work out.

QPS- That barn is looking good!:clapping: I'd like to have a lift like that put in sometime down the road. I have a Boss V too, great blade.

Does anyone know about how long it should take to pour this floor? It will be done in 2 pours (45-48 yards each pour). I was thinking 3-4 guys could do it in 8 hours (each day). Am I close?

qps
08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
They poured....pumped my floor in one day 60x64 5" fibermesh approx. 64 yards

RockSet N' Grade
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
With a good crew, enough lead time and proper preparation that bad boy can be poured in one day........and with a good crew there is no reason for it not to be poured in one day. We have dropped alot of mud on the ground in 100 yard lots......for a first time deal it may seem a little daunting, but it really is a nice day's pour. Once again, it is getting a good crew that has worked and does work well together and a little organization.........I would plan it for a one day deal, and if it gets out of hand or the weather isn't cooperating.......you can shut the trucks down and finish it at half way point.

Gravel Rat
08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I would find a good company that can do the job. I have done lots of concrete and its best to leave the large jobs especially concrete floors to guys with experienced crew. Once you start placing you can't stop till the job is done. You got guys spreading and screeding the mud and couple guys bullfloating the screeded area. If you want to do the floor in two stages then you make the area you stop at the one expansion joint.

Myself I would want the floor done in one pass then they power trowel the whole thing. A couple days later they can come and do the score cuts for your relief joints.

If you do it in 2 stages its going to be tough to get the joint between the two slabs nice and even.

Your local ready mix company is another thing to consider they need enough trucks hauling to your site to get the job done quickly. If you got too long of a gap bettween trucks and the weather is warm out the slab will start drying too fast before they can start working the surface smoothing it out.

Line pumping will be okay but right out of the truck is the best you have less chance of aggregate separation. It may take a few guys with wheel barrows doing the wheel barrow brigade. When you are doing a floor and your depending on the creme for your finish coat less aggitating of the concrete the better.

You have to choose the day that it isn't really hot so the concrete cures slowly. Burlap bags that are wet helps keep the finished surface from drying too fast.

Good Luck