PDA

View Full Version : Steep Rooftops

JimLewis
08-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I have been doing more lighting projects lately where we light up the house, as well as the landscape. (In the past, we had only ever done lighting on decks and landscapes mostly.) I have a customer who we've done about $10,000 in lighting for already. He asked me recently what more we could do, in terms of lighting. One thing I mentioned was lighting up his house more, specifically the peaks at the top of his two roof lines. He's very interested in a bid.

Well, that's where it gets tricky. It would be very difficult to get a ladder up to these peaks. They are above and slightly behind other peaks. Not to mention they're like 30' up in the air. So ladder really isn't a viable option. Which means we'd have to get someone up on the roof laying on their belly, to install these lights up at the peaks of the house. And although I sure as heck ain't doing that - I do have a guy who will. He's a friend of mine who used to work for one of my lighting suppliers. He knows lighting and he did the same thing at my house.

Only thing is these peaks are twice as steep as the ones at my house. And I am afraid he'd fall off.

So how do I prevent that? What can we do to make sure he doesn't fall off and plummet to his death while he's installing these?

maxkicker
08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
i borrowed a bucket truck when i was working on my roof. not sure if you can rent them or not in your area or if you can even go that route

if you can use one im pretty sure you can rent them from alban

JimLewis
08-08-2007, 01:54 AM
I thought of that. But man, that adds a pretty big expense to this job. It would just be a few lights. I'm sure that would add a good $250 to the job.

Chris J
08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Is $250 too much to pay to save a life? On some jobs, the cost is what it is and the customer just has to accept that in order to get the desired effect. I don't think I would be getting cheep right about now...

NightScenes
08-08-2007, 07:42 AM
One thing you might want to keep in mind, sometimes it's better to say never mind, I got a little carried away.

You have this peak that is dangerous to get to for the installation. Now, what about service? Are you and the client willing to rent a bucket truck to change a $10 lamp? What if the lamp is a dud and only lasts a month, are you and the client willing to pay it again? I am all for effect so maybe you can mount a fixture on a lower peak and shine it up to the higher one? Anyway, just a thought.

lx665
08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Use a roof ladder. Fire Fighters use them all the time. The roof ladder had hooks that you hang over the ridge of the roof.

John

Pro-Scapes
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
im with paul... mount the lights in lower more acessible areas. You dont wanna create a maint nightmare. Another option would be if you have mature trees to tag the roof from tree mounted lights.

250 is nothing on an install that difficult. You should be charging accordingly for the risk involved. I have one coming up that will be similar. We will be tagging the outlines of the roof from gutter mounted fixtures. Not like shingles are exactly an arcitectual highlight anyways :) all you need to do is define the structure and show that it is in fact there. If your landscape and lower lighting is done right it should steal the show anyways.

Just because we can light something doesnt mean we should. Lets see some pics of this Jim.

JimLewis
08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I like the idea of the roof ladder. I just looked them up online. I never knew anything like that existed before. Great idea, John! Thanks.

David Gretzmier
08-11-2007, 07:45 PM
You can make a hook/firemans ladder pretty easy- use 1/4" thick, 1 1/2 " wide by 2ft flat steel, 2 pieces, use a vice to bend 8" of the end into a hook- like a cane. attatch to a 24-28 ft extension ladder that has been pulled apart to two individual pieces. attatch the steel to the end of the ladder using bolts through the steel and aluminum in the ladder end, at least two bolts in each piece.

this can be laid over the peak, on the shingles, and gives the person on the roof excellent traction.

we get on about 120 roofs for Christmas lights betwen Sept. 15 and Feb. 15.

Can you fall? yep. but you can also fall off a ladder on a tree, and I'm guessing most landscape light folks do this. Most of my Christmas guys would never dream of putting a ladder against a tree trunk and call it safe. but a 40 ft ladder on a house- or on a roof, feels safe to them, and me.

It takes me about a couple of days into the Christmas season to "climatize" to the height and laddes, but after that, no problems if your careful.

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I hire all this work out. Just easier to adjust your bill acordingly and bring in someone who can do it. This also allows me to look from the ground and aim and determine location for maximum effect with minimal sight from ground.

David pls email me thru my website I would like to come do a few christmas installs with you this fall if I may.

David Gretzmier
08-14-2007, 09:55 AM
glad to have you on some Christmas installs. I don't know your web address. I will email you when I get it. thanks, dave g

Pro-Scapes
08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
glad to have you on some Christmas installs. I don't know your web address. I will email you when I get it. thanks, dave g

its in my signature amigo. www.integrityoutdoorlighting.com I will pm you my email addy

srvfan
08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey David, I would love to talk to you about christmas lighting. I live in Houston, just spoke to the guys at Bright Lights. How can I contact you.

Thanks
Steve

David Gretzmier
08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
You can pm me through lawnsite.com . I check it every couple of days. I'd post my email or phone, but the moderators delete it quick. If you do a search on anywho.com for springdale, arkansas, business listing, My phone is listed as brite ideas nwa. feel free to call me. you won't regret Holiday Bright Lights.