PDA

View Full Version : Is my wheel motor bad? Husqvarna Hydro

257roberts
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
My friend wants to give me his Husky 48 ZTH in exchange for me fixing it. I'm guessing he would borrow the mower as a spare if the need arose. The right wheel is making a clicking sound and will not turn very fast. I don't know how to troubleshoot it to see if it's the pump or just the wheel motor. I might fix the wheel motor, but wouldn't spend the money to replace the pump. The mower has approx 800 hrs. on the clock. I think it has been well maintained also. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate your post.

saw man
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Take the wheel off and take a look. Sometimes it is something simple. But you need to start looking and narrow it down.

257roberts
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Wheel's off, but don't see anything unusual from the hydraulic motor. Nothing broken or leaking.

growabiz
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
When you start the mower let it run for a few minutes and then shut off the engine. Carefully remove the cap to the hydraulic fluid reservoir tank under the seat. If it looks bubbly-you more than likely have an air leak.

You may have to take it to a certified technician to have it properly tested.

If you repair the pump and you fail to determine what the true cause of the failure is and/or perform the necessary procedures, the same thing will happen and you will be out the money.

Best of luck.

Envy Lawn Service
08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Well see... here's the thing...

Husqvarna's have bad hydro systems. Good pumps and motors like the others. It's the overall system that is the problem.

If you REALLY need it, I guess it would be worth the gamble to replace/rebuild the bad part. But don't be surprised to burn out another part in a short time. It's a coin toss.

257roberts
08-15-2007, 11:52 PM
I figured out what the noise was on the one wheel. It was the brake lever hitting the brake cogs occasionally. I readjusted the parking brake and no more noise.. I also found out my friend, (the original owner of the mower) was putting Tractor Hydraulic Fluid in the tank instead of 20-50w motor oil as Husky called for. I dumped the tank and changed the hydro filter and refilled with 20-50w. It runs really well now. I took the old filter, cut it apart and looked at the paper filter media real well, but saw no metal shaving or particles at all. Maybe I caught the incorrect oil before it became a problem. All I need to do now is adjust the cutting deck to get it cutting level and even and I think I'll be good to go! Thank you for all your help and suggestions. There are a lot of nice helpful folks on this site, I'm glad I ran across it.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Wow.... how many hours on it so far?

Glad you got the issue worked out cheap.

As an afterthought, I was thinking wow, it never ceases to amaze me what people will actually do when servicing things... but the afterthought was that maybe the tractor hydraulic fluid is what got the drive system this far without failure!

Do you know what kind of fluid it was exactly and how long it was in there?
Let me know... I'd love to know if that's a possibility...

Now that you have changed it to 20w50, keep an eye out for signs of overheating. If you are pretty good with this sort of thing, you may want to re-plumb the whole system and add an oil cooler to the system and place it somewhere that will get some air flow.