PDA

View Full Version : fb460v valve ticking

WhitakerServices
08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
hello to everyone, from a new member. I have been doing all my own repairs for all of my 5 years in business. Now I am beginning to hear a ticking noise that seems to be valve related. The engine has 5 years and no problems so I have very little experience with any large repairs on it. I do however have extensive automotive engine knowledge. That being said any advice from those with Kawi experience will be appreciated. I don't want to tear into it unless I have to. Thanks in advance.
Russ

Restrorob
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
If they are ticking go ahead and check the adjustment, Kawasaki recommends this at 300 hrs anyway.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FB460ValveAdjustment.jpg

But, If they are ticking that means the valve stems/tappets are worn and requires cutting the valve faces and seats to close the gap or try installing new valves along with cutting the seats depending on how big the gap is.

Good Luck

Breezmister
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
But, If they are ticking that means the valve stems/tappets are worn and requires cutting the valve faces and seats to close the gap

Hi Restrorob, Just wondering, I have a seat cutting kit from Nuway, great set, and this old antique that I have to mount in a vise for the valves. What do you use for the valves ?

WhitakerServices
08-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I certainly appreciate the responses, and the pages from your book will be a great help. I have the head off now and other than some carbon build up I haven't found anything that should have caused the ticking (no signs of any parts collision). I will check the valve clearances tomorrow... after a day of 100degree mowing (while 1 mower down) ahh the life of the self employed. I also have to repair some head bolt threads from where the bolt seized, fun stuff. Thanks again.

Restrorob
08-08-2007, 11:12 PM
No problem W/S, Glad to lend a hand.....

Hello B/M,

Those Nuway cutters are sweet, I use a speed wrench as below with a deep socket instead of the little T handle that comes in the kit. I found it to be easier and gives a more uniform cut. After cutting I also take a small piece of paper towel and push it over the centering dowel to cover the seat then give it a few more spins.

Doing this reduces the amount of material taken off and leaves a smoother surface so less lapping is required.

As for the valves, I guess you could say I take the lazy way out. I take them to my local NAPA store and they cut them while I wait.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/SpeedWrench.jpg

WhitakerServices
08-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Can anyone tell me the torque for the head bolts and if there is any tightening sequence. Should I use anti seize or engine oil to lubricate the head bolts? Thanks for the help.

Breezmister
08-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Those Nuway cutters are sweet, I use a speed wrench as below with a deep socket instead of the little T handle that comes in the kit.

As for the valves, I guess you could say I take the lazy way out. I take them to my local NAPA store and they cut them while I wait.

Speed wrench :confused: :laugh: That's one of those tools I haven't used in years. So when I got into work and got through the morning junk, it wasn't untill lunch I got the cutter set out and looked to see what you meant:)
That is a great idea:clapping: Now I have a use for my speed wrench.
Anyway, one of the mechanics I know that works for one of the big name scapers in my area just got a Gizmatic, loves it. But it's not cheap, I think he said over 300 bucks, company paid for it. :( Just wanted to get a few more opinions before I think about getting one :rolleyes:

Restrorob
08-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Can anyone tell me the torque for the head bolts and if there is any tightening sequence. Should I use anti seize or engine oil to lubricate the head bolts? Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the hi-jack of your thread, Here's the specs you requested;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FB/FB460HeadTorquePattern.jpg

Good Luck

WhitakerServices
08-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks again exactly what I needed. Did you scan in the page from a book or is this info available on the web? Either way I appreciate your efforts. I have the head gasket but it will be tuesday before I get the other gaskets I want to replace (intake, exhaust, etc.) so I will have some time to take it slow and do it right. That Scag must go back to work as soon as possible.