PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda grass will it blend

nolegs
08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi All,

I moved into my new house around the 1st of March this year. Two weeks later I realized there were several big spots of dead grass through out the entire yard (front & back) due to lack of watering. Most of the dead stuff had crab grass and other weeds growing in it. I had my builder come out and replace the dead grass. Unfortunately I was not here when it happened, unfortunately I say because they put the new sod on top of the dead stuff weeds and all. The new sod was also a much better grade of grass, so now I have a very tight nice deep green grass mixed with a more lime looking loss grass mixed together. It is very noticeable as well. My builder keeps ensuring me that it will blend together with in a year or two.

Is that a true statement or should I demand a fix?

Is there something I can do to help the lime colored grass look more like the deep green grass?

My yard was laid in mid April should I be putting any weed feed on it or is it still to early?

Thanks in Advance,
Nolegs

MJS
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
It will never truly "blend" so that it will be unoticable if the grass types really are that different. I would fertilize it first, and see if it helps at all. If not, I would demand that it be fixed. Yes, you can fertilize in small amounts during the summer. A program of 4-5 fertilizations a year is ideal for a lawn. Check out Scott's weed and feed 4-step program.
Best of Luck.

ed2hess
08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
In the dead of summer in Texas is not a good time to do much of anything with grass except keep it watered and hope you can get it to October then you can start working on the problems.

AUHort1990
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Last year I attended a workshop where one of the speakers was a president of a landscape company. He showed us a slide of an entrance to a rather nice shopping center. In the pic you could plainly see a difference in color about halfway across the turf area. He said what happened was they ran out of bermuda and had to order some more only he ordered it from a different source than the first batch. Both were 419 bermuda so you would assume it would be the same. It wasn't. They have tried everthing to get both sides to look the same to no avail. His point...always order your sod from the same source on a single project.

Your turf is probably from different sources or even two different types of bermuda. It will always look different, no matter what you do.

Eakern & Dog
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
It stinks but what do expect for the guy to do to "fix" it ? As stated by
AU HORT 1990 ,even grass that is the same hybrid will not look exactly the same. Do you expect for him to remove all of your sod and re-sod the whole the property with grass from the same batch/lot ? If it concerns you that it will not be perfect, then remove the replacement sod and deal with the bare spots until the existing Bermuda spreads over the bare spots.

Just my two cents

nolegs
08-12-2007, 10:17 AM
It stinks but what do expect for the guy to do to "fix" it ? As stated by
AU HORT 1990 ,even grass that is the same hybrid will not look exactly the same. Do you expect for him to remove all of your sod and re-sod the whole the property with grass from the same batch/lot ? If it concerns you that it will not be perfect, then remove the replacement sod and deal with the bare spots until the existing Bermuda spreads over the bare spots.

Just my two cents

This is a brand new$250,000 home so yes I would expect them to fix it, I mean why should I be stuck with an ugly yard or bare spots for several years? If I leave it the way it is my resale will suffer.

Eakern & Dog
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
This is a brand new$250,000 home so yes I would expect them to fix it, I mean why should I be stuck with an ugly yard or bare spots for several years? If I leave it the way it is my resale will suffer.

Hope it works out well for you ! Please keep us posted as to how it all works out.