PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa Blower Problem

Jimmy Williams
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
We have a Shindaiwa handheld blower we use for small blowdown jobs. Its 3 years old and has always run great up until lately. For the past couple of months we've run into trouble starting it, even after running it, cutting it off and trying to start it up immediately again. Almost seems like the On/off switch has gone bad and is breaking the circuit even when it is flipped back into the On position. Any of you guys run into a similar problem? When it does finally start it runs great.

Fantasy Lawns
08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Beyond the obvious .... checking fore spark n clean air filter .... the spark arrestor could be clogged ... we remove ours (small metal screen covering the muffler) or a new fuel filter ...even thou it may look clean or even flow air easy .... replace it if over 6 months old .... specially if you don't use it alot

Aside from that .... if it is a short ... I hate that .....but I might look at the coil starting to fail before a failed on/off switch .... they always go bad ...but that should not kill the engine ... you can remove that from the system n the engine shold run .... than the best way to kill it is to pinch the fuel line ...DON"T choke it off .... that leads to carb issues

screensnot
08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
...DON"T choke it off .... that leads to carb issues

:confused: I don't buy that one.

Breezmister
08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
We have a Shindaiwa handheld blower we use for small blowdown jobs. Its 3 years old and has always run great up until lately.

Shindaiwa if I remember, makes a couple of hand helds....One has a crapy toggle switch, the other has a push on/off switch, what you need to find out is when it gives you a problem is if you have spark at the plug. Just wondering, did you try a new or different plug ?;)

Jimmy Williams
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying and tks for the info. I have checked for a spark and don't see one. Mine has the toggle switch, so it could be that or maybe the coil mentioned too. I may try and bypass the switch and see if the spark generates. Tks

Breezmister
08-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying and tks for the info. I have checked for a spark and don't see one. Mine has the toggle switch, so it could be that or maybe the coil mentioned too. I may try and bypass the switch and see if the spark generates. Tks

Hi Jimmy, just a heads up if you don't know, with the switch in the " on " position you are dealing with an open circuit. In other words, you have a wire coming off the coil to the switch that has power, the power is stopped at the switch When the switch is " off " the circuit is closed, the coil is grounded killing the spark. All you really need to do is just disconnect the switch. I hate electrical stuff :confused:
Good Luck