PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking from wheel on ZTR

Juan_Deere
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Has anyone experienced this, and do you guys think it is a problem, or fairly normal?

I have a Gravely 2348XLP. For probably the last 3 hours, when I first start mowing, it sounds like the left wheel has an intermittent "squeak" while going forward. It seems to happen at the same point as the tire rotates, and goes away after about a minute. Also, as I am stopping and or backing up, the hydraulics seem to wail, instead of moan as usual. The mower has 78 hours on it, the hyd level is good, and I don't see any obvious external obstructions or damage. The overall speed of the mower, or performance between the left and right side do not appear to be affected. I did have to adjust the stops when I first got it because it pulled to one side from the dealer, but it has remained fine since then, and recently it sometimes feels like the right side handle is harder to manipulate. But I can't tell if it really is harder, or just me imagining it. I also checked the tire pressures, and they are identical.

Thanks for any input.

Restrorob
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Check your wheel lug nuts and wheel hub nut/bolt. If they are tight take it back to the dealer and let them check it out, It's a good idea for them to have record of any complaints should something arise at a later date.

Juan_Deere
08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks Restrorob,

I also knew those items were tight, because I had recently swapped the wheels trying to diagnose a "wobbling" sensation on the mower. That turned out to be the hardware on the front caster wheels needing to be tightened down a little.

I think I found the problem though. I am not sure if my brake lever comes up on its own, or if I am simply failing to push it all the way down when I release it. I guess I will have to pay more attention from now on. But from what I can tell, the brake lever not being all the way down is causing the brakes to drag ever so slightly, and causing the sounds I was hearing.

Also, the mower is no longer under warranty, so it wouldn't do me any good to go to the dealer and document the problem, unless I was completely unable to fix the problem myself.

Restrorob
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh well, With only 78 hrs. I figured it was a new unit.....

Glad you found the problem anyway.

Juan_Deere
08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Yep, bought it new. But it is actually a homeowner model, that the warranty is only honored on it for 90 days if you use it "commercially", otherwise, 2 year warranty. Gravely's definition of commercial is any property other than your own. I had previously told the dealer that I also mow my next door neighbors lawn because they let me keep my dog in their fenced in yard, as he was wondering how I got 44 hours on it, just mowing my lawn in a little under three months. In other words, he was already trying to weasel out of fixing any problems I might claim under warranty.

Breezmister
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Yep, bought it new. In other words, he was already trying to weasel out of fixing any problems I might claim under warranty.

http://www.gravely.com/

A hydro repair can be a BIG out of pocket expense...I would go to their site and get their number and call and see what they say, or find another dealer and explain what you did was not a commercial job. There are dealers out there that will work with you just to get your return bizz

Restrorob
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
find another dealer and explain what you did was not a commercial job. There are dealers out there that will work with you just to get your return bizz

I have to agree with Breezmister, Warranty is not regulated by hours. Besides, You having to adjust the tracking on a brand NEW unit sounds like they can't even set one up right much less perform any repairs.....

Juan_Deere
08-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't think there is another dealer nearby. The closest one that I know of is an hour away, and when I stopped by there, they didn't even have any Gravelys in stock. They said they sold them, but they would have to order anything I wanted. That right there told me, they don't carry parts and they probably don't work on them very often.

I have already made up my mind on this dealer though. And that is too bad for him, because I definitely have decided to get a bigger/better/heavy duty ZT. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of one of the XDZs they just put out. I really have little complaints about the Gravely mower itself. With only one thing bothering me right now. And that is the brake lever coming back up on its own while I am mowing. I confirmed it today, and it is weird because it just started doing it this bad in the past couple of mowing weeks. That is exactly what is causing the squeaking/moaning sounds.

I didn't realize it, but there is actually a Scag dealer right up the street from me. I am probably going to get rid of my two current mowers and pick up a Scag.

Juan_Deere
08-10-2007, 08:02 PM
As far as the warranty. I am past the 90 days, not any hourly limit. When I approached them about the wobbling, I had about a week of warranty left as he was under the impression I was using it commercially because it had 44 hours on it at that time.

Probably partially my fault too though. I told him I had mowed in the past, and I wanted a mower that could handle light commercial work, but didn't cost too much money and it had to fit in my current trailer. I am a contractor, so I can be out on my ass with just a few days notice. So I needed a back up plan.

What really got me about the dealer though, was he put one of his mechanics on the phone, to try and convince me that the damage to my tire was not due to a defect in the tire. He claimed it was a commercial LCO that ran two Gravelys, including the model I have. As I was talking to the guy, he first stated he had the same model I have, then later in the conversation he asked me what model I had again, then he started describing a braking system that is not installed on "our" mowers. He was talking about the kind that has an interference bar that rubs on the tire. My mower has drum style brakes. He would know that if he had one, right?