PDA

View Full Version : motor stops after 30 sec.

RICHIE K
08-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi, all have a ? I have a emark wb with a kaw 12.5 motor with approx 2000 hour on it. It starts in one pull run great for 30 seconds then sputters then shuts off. New fuel filter and line are clear. Any idea what else ?

THANKS

mattfromNY
08-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Probably the fuel pump. Sounds like somehow it is getting enough gas into the carb to start, then once it uses up the gas in the bowl, it doesnt get anymore until it sits a little while. My guess is the fuel pump is bad, maybe a torn diaghram.

MowerMedic77
08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
It starts in one pull run great for 30 seconds then sputters then shuts off.

Sorry just need clarification on this first, does the mower start right back up after it shuts down?

RICHIE K
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry just need clarification on this first, does the mower start right back up after it shuts down?

yes it does

mike lane lawn care
08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
could possibly be the simpler things. like something blocking the hole in the bottom of the fuel tank, or the gas cap vent hole is clogged.

MowerMedic77
08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
could possibly be the simpler things. like something blocking the hole in the bottom of the fuel tank, or the gas cap vent hole is clogged.

I think Mike is on the right track, the instant restarting tends to move my thinking away from a spark issue. I would check your cap for proper venting and also inspect the tank for debris. May also want to pull carb or carb bowl and clean main jet.

John Stiles
08-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't forget the fuel filter. Also, the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump....if it's cracked, it could lose prime, and after shutting down the line fills back by gravity.~j

Vikings
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I had a similar symptom with a 21" toro. I took it in to get fixed and they phoned me back and said it started in one pull.. nothings wrong with it, maybe you didn't prime it properly.

I could have strangled him.. but he was on the phone. So I told them it starts and then just stops and won't start even if you pull it a hundred times. I already told them this.

They fixed it and told me they adjusted the rocker arms or whatever. They also did some stuff I didn't ask for like change the air filter and the oil.

Vikings
08-10-2007, 02:15 PM
They fixed it and told me they adjusted the rocker arms or whatever.
Valves! that's what they told me they adjusted. It just came to me.

fixer67
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Does this engine have a low oil shut down system? If so check the oil to make 110% it is on the make then unhook the low oil system and see if it runs OK then. Some set ups not allow an engine to start if the oil is low but some will allow it to start even if the oil is low but will shut it down real quick if things are not right. Most of the ones that allow start up even with low oil are the pressure type. The delay gives the engine time to build pressure to hold the switch open and keep the engine running. Now if the engine has the pressure type and it does run OK with the wire unhooked that does not mean you can run it that way. The switch could be bad or worse yet you have lost oil pressure due to low oil or a clogged filter or the pump could have failed.