PDA

View Full Version : Ripping out 8 junipers

jasonlandscape
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
i have about 8 fairly large juniper i need to pull out. either way i do it shovel pick ax, or truck how much to charge per? 45 bucks? i will probally include racking the area level afterwards.

Tim Wright
08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Use a tractor bucket push them forward then drag back. Then pull them out.

$500-$700.

Tim

jasonlandscape
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
well i don't have a tractor but i've ot a cummins, :)

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
You'll have to do a little more then just rake it level afterwards. You'll need topsoil, and seed or sod depending on what they want. In my area I could get $50 per bush ($400) plus $75 for hauling them off and maybe another $150 for filling in the holes with topsoil. So total would be $625. I won't use the tractor or anything that will rut up the yard unless I am going to redo the entire yard as well.

fiveoboy01
08-10-2007, 01:53 AM
If you have a place to put your truck(pavement) that there isn't a concern about tearing up the ground, then you can use a heavy duty nylon tow strap looped around the base of the plant to tear it out. I've done this numerous times and it works well.

As was said, you'll need topsoil to fill in the holes.

jasonlandscape
08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
ok i went to the ladies house and saw the bushes. they are that evergreen type of juniper and they are about 4ft tall by maybe 4 or 5 ft wide....she doesn't want anything in replace. not even fill dirt...i told her 35 bucks a bush, theres 14 of them, so 490...she thought that was way too high and would let me do it for 350.

MarcSmith
08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
then you can use a heavy duty nylon tow strap looped around the base of the plant to tear it out.

USE CHAIN. nylon will stretch and snap back like a rubber band if it breaks....

Wow 350....shes done you a favor of taking herself off the list of potential future clients.

fiveoboy01
08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
And if a chain breaks, it will do a lot more damage than a strap. I don't like chains period.

I haven't had a strap break yet. Just need to get a very, very heavy one.

Anyhow, I laugh my ass off when you say she will "let" you do it for 350... LOL, just hand her a shovel and tell her to get to work.

jasonlandscape
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
yeah its kinda crazy but i think i'm gonna do it anyway just to get in the neighborhood and start getting known...i think this lady knows everyone, plus its a huge devlopement of like 1000 homes with a golf course...

its called Willow springs if any one lives in alpharetta.

i think with me and a buddy it would take about 3 hrs, cut them down and pick ax the roots out.

MarcSmith
08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
And if a chain breaks, it will do a lot more damage than a strap. I don't like chains period.

no...a chain does not stretch and when a chain breaks it just fails, no snap back or anything like that.

You have to be careful with straps, a small nick or tear, and the strap is junk...chains can take a lot more abuse...I guess if straps were really that tough and durable you'd see more of em on cranes, and tow trucks, and in other load bearing situations were they support a load, rather than just holding one down...

jeffinsgf
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
...i think with me and a buddy it would take about 3 hrs, cut them down and pick ax the roots out.

14 bushes dug up in 3 hours? You're either the fastest man on a pick I've ever heard of -- or you're fooling yourself.

jrlandscaping781
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
$350??? Walk away!! I pulled about the same amount for a customer this spring, junipers are the worst! Plus double check your dump fee. This is a $800 job

jasonlandscape
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
i mean it may take us longer than 3 hrs...but i'm not gonna get detailed with it, i'll probally leave alot of roots behind...i'm just gonna get the chunk out....i'm just getting started in the bussiness so it will be a learning experiance and i know better next time.

RAlmaroad
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Jason: I've done a lot of that stuff in my time. Now I use a tractor but it can be done fairly simply.
1. Soak the ground big time at least 2-3 hours/bush. More or less depending on the Georgia Clay. Root ball may be fairly large.
2. If you know what a come-a-long is, then, you can wrap the hook around the hitch on the truck and use the ratchett to ease the whole bush out of the wet soil. The come-a-long is fairly cheap or you can rent one for a day. Give the lady a gift certificate to Lowes for some flowers. She'll think you're wonderful eventhough you really are doing this way too cheap, but I understand on getting more business and putting a good taste in her mouth in referring you to others. You're not stupid.
Pulling them damn thing out with the truck could tear up the ground, snap a chain and dent the truck or window. Trucks in TN are pretty high on the list of men's toys.

Grn Mtn
08-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I've pulled atleast 200 junipers and yews out of the ground, Using truck with chain 20' min length. If the bushes were big so will the roots be, so bring a pick axe, the kind with a flat hoe-like end. wrap the chain around the base of the bush twice and pull carefully DON'T Snap or jerk it, just put it in 4 wheel and pull slowly, if it doesn't pull out chop the root holding it in and try again. This method will take about 5 min per bush.

If you use just a pick axe expect about 20 minutes per bush (closer to 30 by the 14th one:) )

If you use a mini-ex about 2 minutes per bush plus a real easy time filling the huge hole left behind.

start to finish 3-4 hours depending on how far the dump is, btw that will be about 2500lbs.

I understand your wanting to get in to the neighborhood, but never let a customer tell you how much it costs you to do the work. It is these customers that will make you axe out every root, then want you to backfill then ..... IT NEVER ENDS, but in the end they still are not happy enough to grace you with referalls and you busted your buts for McDonalds wages.

LarryF
08-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Jason: I've done a lot of that stuff in my time. Now I use a tractor but it can be done fairly simply.
1. Soak the ground big time at least 2-3 hours/bush. More or less depending on the Georgia Clay. Root ball may be fairly large.
2. If you know what a come-a-long is, then, you can wrap the hook around the hitch on the truck and use the ratchett to ease the whole bush out of the wet soil. The come-a-long is fairly cheap or you can rent one for a day. Give the lady a gift certificate to Lowes for some flowers. She'll think you're wonderful eventhough you really are doing this way too cheap, but I understand on getting more business and putting a good taste in her mouth in referring you to others. You're not stupid.
Pulling them damn thing out with the truck could tear up the ground, snap a chain and dent the truck or window. Trucks in TN are pretty high on the list of men's toys.

RAImaroad has an excellent suggestion, except you'd be better off using a tirfor rather than a come-a-long. Tirfors aren't too common here in the US, but I suspect those living in Europe or Australia might have seen and used one. I have a small 1600-KG one with about a 100-foot (30 meters actually) cable, and I've uprooted 30' trees with it when I could find a suitable anchor point. For those who don't know about tirfors, here's a website.
http://www.torqhoist.com/product_detail.php?ProductID=18&CatID=25&s_Name=&

carcrz
08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I use my skid-steer w/ some forks on it. Yanks them out in about 5 seconds usually. Another thought, you could dig around them & take a sawzall w/ a long blade to cut the roots out. I'd use a chainsaw, but the chain will get all dulled up from the dirt.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
08-16-2007, 11:57 PM
The cheapest one of those is nearly $900. Hey Jason, buy one of these so you can make $350 on your job.

LarryF
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
The cheapest one of those is nearly $900. Hey Jason, buy one of these so you can make $350 on your job.

If you're referring to a tirfor, that's good to know if I ever decide to get rid of mine. Thanks. Does that $900 include the cable?

weeble67
08-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Be sure and let us know what method you ended up using. As well as what your outcome was and your views or lessons learned.

lawnpro724
08-18-2007, 12:00 AM
If you have a place to put your truck(pavement) that there isn't a concern about tearing up the ground, then you can use a heavy duty nylon tow strap looped around the base of the plant to tear it out. I've done this numerous times and it works well.

As was said, you'll need topsoil to fill in the holes.

Works well unless there next to a house or near power, water, gas lines. Tearing them out that way is a good way to get sued. I watched my friends neighbors tear his out that way after I told him not to and he did anyway and ended up tearing out his water line that ran through his brick foundation and he cracked that as well. Shrubs if they have been in a long time grow deep roots that can spread out as much as 4 times the width of the plant and can grow under some home foundations and around water and gas lines. Its much safer to dig them out. If you have to you can use an ax to cut through some of the roots to get the stump out.