PDA

View Full Version : First Lawn in USA - Need Your Help

NewtoUSALawns
08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Greetings!

I am 40 years old and bought my first home in the USA this year (lived abroad and worked for US companies in the past). I have no knowledge of lawns in the USA, and bought my lawn equipment only this year.

I found this wonderful site around midnight yesterday.

I cannot even tell what kind of grass we have.

I am hoping that you folks can help me. I want to learn on my own rather than asking for help from a company like TrueGreen. The only reason being that I will never learn if I do not it myself and would never be able to teach my sons as well.

So today I took my sons in the yard and we measured SF of our lawn and took some pictures. I live in Indianapolis, IN and we have approx. 11,000 SF of lawn (no sprinkler system).

We have brown spots, and weeds (Annual Blue Grass, Bull Thistle, Clover White, Dollarweed/Pennywort, Yellow Foxtail).

So far I have put Pastures Fertilizer (50 lb. bag. 36-3-7), some Scotts Stuff and 10 lbs of (10-10-10). The pastures fertilizer was recommended by a friend who lives in country and I had leftover of (10-10-10) from the vegetable garden that we started.

I will be reading the forums and try to learn myself.

However please help us and point in right direction. What to use and where to buy (So far we have made countless trips to Lowes, Home Depot and Menards).

Cheers and Thanks!

PS: How do I get rid of grass that grown in joint of sidewalk?

NewtoUSALawns
08-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Some more pictures for your review.

Since I do not know what kind of grass/sod we have, I do not know where to start.:cry:

So I am asking for some help in learning this task, and recommendation of fertilizer and weed control.

weeble67
08-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Congrats on your purchase. You will find all the help you need on this site. I would offer my .02 but, I am not a fertilizer guy. I will bump you back up to the top.

tbettis
08-09-2007, 01:18 PM
cant really tell the name of the grass..but you really have crabgrass, clovers and other multiple types of weeds.... to take care of weeds i wouls try IMAGE. they sell it in concentrate so you would have to mix it accordinly

NewtoUSALawns
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks weeble67 and tbettis

There is lot of information here in the forum (and could be confusing...which product to use).

I never heard of Lesco before coming to this site.

I am thinking of loading pictures of my yard into my desktop and taking it to Lesco store in Indianapolis. Is that a good idea? Perhaps they can recommend me a program to follow and suggest some weed killers.

I am looking for a guide or a link that can describe a lawn care program. i haven't found one this site so far (perhaps I missed it)

PS:There is a Tractor Supply store near by as well.

tbettis
08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
save the gas... they'll have you going everywitchaway..just be patient and just float the forums here and sometimes scotts.com

bahamamills
08-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Welcome NewtoUSA,

The first thing unfortunately you will have to do is be patient. This late in the season there is not a lot you can or want to do with your lawn. There are most likely spots you want to replant this fall to fill in the bare spots. If you start putting out fertilzer and or weed control it may well impact any success you can have in establishing new growth. A good deal of you weed control and correction can happen over the winter and into early spring with granular treatments.

You may want to get some soil samples and take them for soil analysis to see what it needs as well. As far as the grass growing in your side walk and anywhere else you don't want it you can get pre-mixed or concentrate Round-Up pretty much anywhere.

jeffinsgf
08-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Some good advice so far. Weed control with the current weather conditions would be marginal. Fertilization without some moisture would be a waste of money. Spray the cracks with glysophate (the active ingredient in Round-Up). For the price of a small bottle of Round-Up at Lowe's, you can go to TSC and get 2-1/2 gallons of generic glysophate concentrate. If kept in a fairly controlled environment (like your garage) it will last for years. Get a small hand sprayer and mix what you need when you need it. Glysophate will kill anything that is green and actively growing. When plants go dormant -- like many do when it is this hot -- they won't die no matter how much you put on them. It is a powerful tool, but needs to be carefully used around anything that you want to live. It has low or no residual effect, so you can replant an area treated with it as soon as the old vegatation is gone.

After having struggled to get a nice lawn for 20 some years, I discovered about 8 years ago that the secret is irrigation. Watering with hose sprinklers takes an enormous commitment of time and energy to even come close to the efficiency of an automated irrigation system. Turf that is irrigated will solve all your weed problems by simply crowding them out.

Patience now. In September when things cool off you can start getting that turf in shape.

NewtoUSALawns
08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks Folks!

Learned first lessen. OK I will be patient and read the forums. Then I will make my own lawn care program and post here for your review.

We are just learning lots of stuff that comes with homeownership (especially when you didn't grew in this country and do not have family and elders to teach you).

My front yard has most weeds. I will use Round-Up to kill grass in the concrete walk that leads to the front door. (I called a place for Q4, that stuff is expensive!!! $425.00 for 2.5 gallons. They didn't have it in stock, but told me to get Surge (I guess) for $80.00.

This looks like expensive ordeal.

I guess I will find out how to reseed the yard.

PS: Just to cheer you guys. First day of lawn mowing, somehow the starter cord got under the blade and got chopped:laugh: . Also hit the blade on a metal rod that the previous owner had put in the ground as a stake :laugh:

Capemay Eagle
08-09-2007, 05:11 PM
For the walkway just get yourself a trimmer that should clean that up, you can even edge the sides. Make it look real clean..

NewtoUSALawns
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jeffinsgt

You are right. Roundup® Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus has about 18% Glyphosate.

If I buy Glyphosate from Tractor Supply, how much should I used per gallon? (Hoping there may be some instructions)

You said it will kill "anything green". Do you mean it will kill the grass as well?

Thanks!

jeffinsgf
08-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks Jeffinsgt

You are right. Roundup® Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus has about 18% Glyphosate.

If I buy Glyphosate from Tractor Supply, how much should I used per gallon? (Hoping there may be some instructions)

You said it will kill "anything green". Do you mean it will kill the grass as well?

Thanks!

Grass, shrubs, trees -- like I said, it is a powerful tool and you need to be very careful with it. Don't get it near anything you don't want dead.

The generic agricultural glysophate that you will find at TSC should be about $40 for 2.5 gallons, which should last you several years. There are explicit directions on mixing. Look for the phrase "chemical mowing". If I recall correctly, it is about a half pint of concentrate per gallon of water, but don't take my word for it. I have done it dozens of times, and I still read the instruction pamphlet every time I mix.

If you're uncomfortable with that, take CapeMay's advice and get a string trimmer. You're going to need it anyway, and it will clean that crack out a lot faster then glysophate (a few seconds versus a couple weeks).

capelawncare.com
08-10-2007, 12:50 AM
New to US,

How on gods green earth did you manage to run over your pull start rope?

Nosmo
08-10-2007, 04:37 AM
TSC's generic roundup is 41%. To kill the grass in the cracks use 3 oz. per gallon of water plus a teaspoon of liquid soap. Why soap ? It acts as a surfactant which helps the mixture adhere to the grass.

For the clover and any broadleaf type weeds the cheapest way to go is get a gallon of 2,4-D at TSC and mix it up as per the label. Usually 2 oz. per gallon and add the soap. A gallon is going to cost more than a quart of Weed Be Gone or a similar product but you will have 4-times as much weed killer.

To get rid of the crabgrass MSMA or Bayer Weed Product will work. To keep it from coming up next spring use a fertilizer with a Crabgrass pre-emergent in it. Crabgrass is an annual which comes up from the previous year's seeds.

Forgot to tell you to shake it up in the sprayer before you begin spraying --- both roundup and 2,4-D.

Nosmo

jeffinsgf
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
...rid of the crabgrass MSMA or Bayer Weed Product will work. To keep it from coming up next spring use a fertilizer with a Crabgrass pre-emergent in it. Crabgrass is an annual which comes up from the previous year's seeds....Nosmo

Good to hear the Bayer product mentioned. I have a quart sitting on the shelf waiting for the temperature to settle down a little. I like the idea of broadleaf and crabgrass control in one product. I had very good luck with Bayer's Revolver for fescue in my zoysia. Saw this in Lowe's and thought I would give it a try on a new section that is overrun with crabgrass.

NewtoUSALawns
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
TSC's generic roundup is 41%. To kill the grass in the cracks use 3 oz. per gallon of water plus a teaspoon of liquid soap. Why soap ? It acts as a surfactant which helps the mixture adhere to the grass.

For the clover and any broadleaf type weeds the cheapest way to go is get a gallon of 2,4-D at TSC and mix it up as per the label. Usually 2 oz. per gallon and add the soap. A gallon is going to cost more than a quart of Weed Be Gone or a similar product but you will have 4-times as much weed killer.

To get rid of the crabgrass MSMA or Bayer Weed Product will work. To keep it from coming up next spring use a fertilizer with a Crabgrass pre-emergent in it. Crabgrass is an annual which comes up from the previous year's seeds.

Forgot to tell you to shake it up in the sprayer before you begin spraying --- both roundup and 2,4-D.

Nosmo

Thanks!

I bought these 2 products.

I didn't find MSMA at TSC. Is there a generic name for that TSC?

So I need to mix them overnight and spray early morning when there is dew on the ground (when the weather cools down)?

Nosmo
08-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Well I am just not sure about TSC -- what they might have for a crabgrass killer. I know Walmart has a crabgrass killer with MSMA in it. This time of the year just about anything you put on the crabgrass is gonna brown up the surrounding good grasses. Check that label on whatever you get.

As far as mixing up those other two chemicals you have I'd just mix it up just before I was going to spray. Some folks will tell you go ahead and spray when the dew is still on the grass. I've done it both ways -- when on and when already dried out. I can't really say which is better but both will work.

Check your weather forecast so you will have plenty of time (1-day) before a rain is coming. Usually most of those chemicals will be absorbed by the plant within 24 hrs.

Good Luck
Nosmo

Sweet Tater
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
PS: Just to cheer you guys. First day of lawn mowing, somehow the starter cord got under the blade and got chopped:laugh: . Also hit the blade on a metal rod that the previous owner had put in the ground as a stake :laugh:[/QUOTE]

wana feel better about doing dinggy things like that. Read the forum about the dingies that the pros have done. Still laughing about some. This is my first year in the business and my best dingy was backing out of the driveway and left the trailor gate down. Kinda sounds like finger nails on a chaulk board. :hammerhead:

Nosmo
08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
We haven't heard from you in a few days. How are the chemicals working for you ?

Nosmo

NewtoUSALawns
08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
We haven't heard from you in a few days. How are the chemicals working for you ?

Nosmo

Sorry Folks. I got busy.

We had some rain and I have been watering as well.

I found out that the bent wire (loop) on the mower through which the starter cord passes was not properly closed. And the cord fell through the gap and came under the blades. No worries, I just tied both the ends together!

The 2, 4-D worked very well. I have sprayed it only once. See first picture. The weeds are gone! Thanks to you folks!

The TSC generic round-up has not worked that fine. I will use the 2, 4-D again this weekend.

I am posting some pictures. 1st = weeds gone, 2nd = rear yard, 3rd = TSC generic round up in action, 4th and 5th = Brown Spots.

I do not know how to get rid of the brown spots. Should I pick the dead grass with hands? I tried raking at few places, it just picked up roots as well.

I set the mower height to the max of 4'' (I guess).

Please give me your recommendations on

1. How to treat the brown spots?

2. Should I fertilize these days with high content of Nitrogen?

3. I went to Sunbelt rentals and asked about prices of renting a dethacher, an areator, and a slice seeder. These items would cost me about $225-$250 (total) to rent. Should I look for a local company to do it for us in the Fall?

Thanks! and Cheers!

PS: I have a dual line Ryobi (electric) trimmer. What a pain to feed the line, I ended up doing it 10-11 times. Guess I will learn when to feed the line properly!

NewtoUSALawns
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Couple of more issues.

1. Ants have made two holes in the front. See pictures. How can I get rid of them?

2. We planted some trees this summer. In the front yard, I found out that there were grubs (white worms). None were found in the rear yard. How to treat them?

Thanks again and cheers!

Nosmo
08-25-2007, 05:34 AM
For info on the ants go to Google -- type in -- Ant holes in my lawn. Plenty of info will come up.

Try threading one line only on the weedeater. I only use one line on all of mine.

Grubs -- Lowes , TSC or Walmart all have grub control pesticides in the garden section.

Nosmo

Nosmo
08-25-2007, 05:39 AM
I forgot to mention it usually takes a few days to notice the effect Roundup has on the plants or grasses you use it on. It is a gradual change from green to pale green and then browning.

2,4-D works much faster on broadleaf plants. Usually the next day they take on a sickly and droopy look. hah

PS: Just remember Roundup will kill just about anything you get it on. 2,4-D will kill just about any broadleaf type weed or young trees. 2,4-D is cheaper and works faster on anything it can be used on.

"Ground Control"
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
For the walkway just get yourself a trimmer that should clean that up, you can even edge the sides. Make it look real clean..

yea....thats a great idea:confused:

NewtoUSALawns
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Folks!

The crab grass is dead. Now I do not know what I need to do next once they are dead!

1. The dead weeds, do they need to be pulled out?

2. Do I need to re-seed those areas?

Also Fall is coming soon. We had lots of rain, and my lawn is green and growing. I am mowing twice a week.

Is 12-24-14 fertilizer a good step to apply now? Where do you guys buy your fertilizer? Looks like I will need to make a trip to TSC.

Thanks

All_Toro_4ME
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Greetings!

However please help us and point in right direction. What to use and where to buy (So far we have made countless trips to Lowes, Home Depot and Menards).

Cheers and Thanks!

Welcome to LS NewtoUSALawns. I am not familiar with Menards. We do not have them here. Clue me in on them.

nmez21
08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
yea....thats a great idea:confused:

It should work in this case. From the pictures shown, a defined edge wouldn't be difficult to achieve. Even beneath the grass you can see the edge of the walkway, not too overgrown.

NewtoUSALawns
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Welcome to LS NewtoUSALawns. I am not familiar with Menards. We do not have them here. Clue me in on them.

http://www.menards.com/

Nosmo
09-02-2007, 05:14 AM

Use that generic roundup on it. It will get rid of anything that comes up in the cracks. Remember it works a little slowly but be patient and that grass will die.

I still see some healthy looking crabgrass in the first above photo. Look at the area where the grass looks to be in the vee part of the photo --- a few blades of green crabgrass.

Good Luck - Nosmo

Nosmo
09-02-2007, 05:31 AM
I thought I'd send this photo up to show you where I was seeing the crabgrass. You don't have to pull up the dead grass .

Next year you need to apply a fertilizer with a pre-emergent to keep the crabgrass from germinating. Ask someone at Lowes (or another store) when to apply this in your area.

Nosmo