PDA

View Full Version : With the talk of all these HP needed for certain deck configurations...

Mr Priceless
08-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm curious to know what percent of Horse power is delivered to spindles of of a 3 blade cutting deck...

For example, on various auto forums I visit occasionally, there are debates over what horsepower ratings should be followed in racing, like flywheel horsepower or brake horsepower, and bhp generally having a lowerv (realistic) rating after all of the energy used from the transmission, shaft, and differential.

I'm asking this because Dixon has a cutting deck-powered leaf/clipping loader that can mount onto the cutting deck, and I plan to use it for my fall cleanups. I have discussed this with my dealer, and he suspected the main problem I would run into is that the loader may not have sufficient power to deliver the leaves/clippings to their designated location traveling roughly 8 feet into the bagging system i'm developing. I understood his point and before I chance ruining my only machine in my arsenal to cut grass, I would like to hear your words on this.

Here is the technical information:
Dixon Model 4421
Year: 1994
Cutting Deck size: 42"
B&S 13 HP Vertical Engine
Driving System: Cone Drive Transaxle

The aproximate weight of this leaf loader by itself is 25 Pounds
And the bagging system I'm developing is a garden trailer.

Bill Kapaun
08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
First, if your SN is 88987 through 89316, there is a recall on the gas tanks.
http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml02/02124.html

What is the engine Model & type?
Reason I ask, is that a 13HP Briggs might be a 21 or 28 (or other?) cubic inch displacement. If it's the 21, it's probably working it's guts out (so to speak) to produce it's rated power, whereas a 28 CI engine isn't.
The larger engine is going to have higher torque.
OHV engines TEND to have an even better torque curve (higher & flatter) than an equal displacement side valve.
Torque is important when the engine starts to bog.
Is the cone drive variable speed? IF so, one could always reduce their mowing speed in the "thick stuff".

Mr Priceless
08-09-2007, 11:20 PM
The engine model is 28M707 and type/spec is 0132-01
as found here:

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/docs/engine_specs.pdf

Mr Priceless
08-09-2007, 11:22 PM
As far as the cone drive goes, it operates by 2 disks grabbing one of two of the "cone-shaped" pulleys, so yes, it's variable

Breezmister
08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm asking this because Dixon has a cutting deck-powered leaf/clipping loader that can mount onto the cutting deck, and I plan to use it for my fall cleanups. I have discussed this with my dealer, and he suspected the main problem I would run into is that the loader may not have sufficient power to deliver the leaves/clippings to their designated location traveling roughly 8 feet into the bagging system i'm developing. I understood his point and before I chance ruining my only machine in my arsenal to cut grass,

Here is a link for one of the brands that we sell, they should have a dealer locater for your area. Sold two of these babies last year in the box for a Kubota lawn tractor and a craftsman

http://www.trac-vac.com/