PDA

View Full Version : 36" or 48" lawn roller?

sulston
08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I have an 18 X 24 push roller and I would like to get a bigger/heavier tow behind but I can't decide on what size. It's either an 18" X 36"(400lbs) or an 18" X 48"(550lbs), both poly rollers. I'm not too concerned with the difference in weight but I'm wondering if the width makes any difference in effectiveness or performance as I don't have much experience with rolling. For example would one gouge the lawn more than the other when turning, or being made of poly, would the 48" be more prone to flexing in the middle when full and not do as good of a job as the 36"? Minor details I know but I thought if there was someone out there who has tried several rollers they might be able to offer some pros/cons of size/type etc. Thanks a lot for any advice.

cantoo
08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
sulston, your going to get alot of crap from warm season guys here but we use rollers and have no problems. We're about 80 miles north of you. I have several size rollers that we use. The size you need depends on the size of properties you are looking to service. If your tow machine is 48" wide then you might as well pull a 48" roller. Usually dampness of lawn has more to do with the rolling than the weight. We also use rollers to lightly press sod into place after install. This time of year you might be able to find a used one cheap, put an ad in the paper and see what comes up.

sulston
08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
sulston, your going to get alot of crap from warm season guys here but we use rollers and have no problems. We're about 80 miles north of you. I have several size rollers that we use. The size you need depends on the size of properties you are looking to service. If your tow machine is 48" wide then you might as well pull a 48" roller. Usually dampness of lawn has more to do with the rolling than the weight. We also use rollers to lightly press sod into place after install. This time of year you might be able to find a used one cheap, put an ad in the paper and see what comes up.

Thanks Cantoo, like I say, I have a 24" push but I have some bigger properties that I could definitely save some time by getting something bigger to tow. Of these bigger places, a 36" or a 48" would both work fine, I was just concerned that there may be advantages/disadvantages to size that I was not aware of due to lack of experience. I'll be towing the roller with a John Deere tractor that has a 42" deck on it so I think I'm going to go with a 48" roller, if you say there is no difference in the two, besides 1 foot and 150lbs. I might as well have the option for a little more weight just in case. Mostly I'll be using it for seeding/sodding jobs along with the odd customer who wants his mole hills rolled. Thanks again.