PDA

View Full Version : Scag / Kawasaki Starting Problem

ScagSteve
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an intermittent problem with my Scag WB that is driving me crazy! :confused: It is a Scag 61" Hydro WB with electric start and the Kawasaki FH641V (21 HP) engine. Sometimes when i go to start it up, I turn the key and it just "clicks"... no engine cranking, just an intial click when I turn the key.

At that point, I basically try a few more times (turn key off, turn to start again... "click") and then I throw it in free wheeling mode (hydro dump valves open) and move it around. I try again... and sometimes it then works, but then if it doesn't, I mess with other things (throttle, choke, etc.) and keep turning the key until the engine cranks.

When it turns over, it is great... it catches on nicely. I just don't know why this intermittent "click" start happens. Sometimes it can take me 5 minutes to get the starter to crank the engine (very frustrating).

Any suggestions? A loose fuse? Bad starter? What do you think I should try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Steve
Newtown, CT

Restrorob
08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds like the starter solenoid is on it's way out, But check all battery and harness connections for looseness/corrosion first. If nothing is found there replace the solenoid.

ScagSteve
08-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks so much! :) I am looking at the Denso starter, and see the following numbers on it:

21163-7014
228000-7991

Does anyone know where to find the solenoid for this? (what the part # is, etc.) I do believe that the starter itself works very well... I want to just replace the solenoid, if possible.

Thanks again!
-Steve

Restrorob
08-10-2007, 01:22 AM
The top number is Kawasaki's part number for the whole starter, Not sure what the other number is.

You can get just the solenoid from here;

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8491&sm=4&maxhits=20&category=Kawasaki04&keywords=27010-2122&go=GO%21

And be glad you don't need the whole starter at $306.18.....

Brianslawn
08-10-2007, 01:45 AM
hey big buddy. my kaw starter i got to take off and clean every so often when it starts doing this. just spray it out with carb cleaner and then the air hose. a lot cheaper than a new solenoid @ $100.

Brianslawn
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks so much! :) I am looking at the Denso starter, and see the following numbers on it:

21163-7014
228000-7991

Does anyone know where to find the solenoid for this? (what the part # is, etc.) I do believe that the starter itself works very well... I want to just replace the solenoid, if possible.

Thanks again!
-Steve

orielly auto parts has more mower parts at less price than dealer than you might think. especially starters. some of the ones ive got were half dealer price and carried lifetime warranty.

KennyW
08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I had a Scag Tiger Cub that did the same thing. Bad ignition switch. Was rusty from leving it outside all the time. Also check to make sure your battery is charging fully off the rectifier. He thought his batter=ies were bad, it was a bad rectifier only supplying about 9 volts DC to the battery. Kenny

fixer67
08-11-2007, 12:40 AM
You have a bad relay some where in the safety system. Try starting it but tripping the solenoid.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39875&d=1121315869

Jump the terminal labeled TO BATTERY to the terminal labeled TO SWITCH

petez
08-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Clean the battery connections, and the ground cable at the engine. A click of the solinoid usually means the solinod is good but it is not getting enough juice to turn starter

ScagSteve
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies! I do agree... I think that it is connection related. I tightened the plug under the ignition switch and haven't had the problem in the last 4-5 starts. The connections in general have some rust corrosion to them, so perhaps a good winter task would be to give them a good cleaning.

It is also good to know that I could "jump" start it if I need to... that picture is awesome, BTW.

Thanks again!! :waving:

MacLawns
10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I am having similar problem with my tiger cub. it would keep clicking, then once, it started turning over, didn't start the engine, and kept on cranking even after turning key back to "off" and lifted seat. Could it be just the key module or is it still the starter? If anyone can reply today that would be great, I need to go out and do some work!

Restrorob
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
If your solenoid is mounted on the starter also you may try lubing the starter shaft above the drive assembly, It could be sticking causing the solenoid plunger to stay down.

Otherwise the contacts inside the solenoid are burnt and sticking.

MacLawns
11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
there was a short some where and fried solenoid and starter and wires from starter to ignition switch and also the ignition switch. $300 for new starter $200 in labor for replacing all the forementioned parts. also a weeks down time. although it wouldn't have been down so long if kawasaki wouldn't have sent a faulty replacement starter to begin with.
This all happened two weeks after getting hydro pump fixed with over two weeks down time and $700 in repairs.

I don't know bout yins, but I am growing very tired of doing this job.
Has anyone else had a point with their scag where everything starts breaking at once?
I know my machine has a lot of use(almost 1,300hrs) but it is not abused and is garage kept every night. I have full records for all recommended maintenance. should this be happening?

DavisLawn
11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
sounds like a solenoid like the others said... i've had 2 go out on my 25 hp kaw.. the last year... one brand new one didnt last 4 months... anybody know if they have a warranty? as someone said.. i bought the whole starter and it was close to 300 dollars.:cry:

icwhite
11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I just replace one of these solenoids on my 19 hp kawasaki (Wright Stander) . Got it for under 8 dollars at O'rileys auto parts. It was one of those items that was on the shelf of the floor. I took my old one and it looked the same, thought i'd give a try and it has worked all summer so far.

hope this helps!

ScagSteve
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice replies! Having tightened up the connector under the key switch, this problem hasn't occurred (knock on wood). So, it appears to have been a loose connection after all. Loving the price tag on this fix... :)