PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think this truck won't sell?

DSLND
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, even though i don't get my drivers license until February 2009, i still watch the classifieds like a maniac. In November, i first noticed this truck, and about every month after that, they would put a different picture up. I've seen just about every angle of the truck and the only thing i've noticed is small rust issues around the rear wheels (seen in other picture). This truck is the style i want to purchase, and if it were closer to me, i would def. be looking at it right about now. They've had it listed at $4,495 since i first noticed it, and the only thing they don't mention is miles, which i assume are abut 100k. Heres the description from the ad:

"1989 CHEVY 2500 4X4, 350 V8, AT, W/WESTERN PLOW. $4,495"

The price has always been at $4,495 and i don't think its worth more than $4k, from an exterior view.

Heres the picture:

-Mitch-

salopez
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
it may seem odd...but is the driver's window there?

P.Services
08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
call and get the miles on the truck, let us know. i would not pay more than 3 grand for that truck its old and will start breaking as soon as you start driving it the trans will go $2500 fuel pump $500 wheel hubs $300 calipers $300 pads $ 50 bolts break of in the head so the exhaust manifold is loose $900 exhaust goes $400 front end alignment $50 new paint $600 new windshield by dot order $150 new tires $1200 master cylinder $300 new radiator $175 new battery $120 rear main seal $250 new axle shaft joint $57 get the point! these are the things i have replaced on my 1997 dodge 2500 in the last 6 months 180,000 miles my point is your not going to save money buying old crap its from 89 thats old things rust, wear out, dry up, you will have 10 grand in that truck by year 2 i guarantee it

DSLND
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I think the driver's side window is just rolled down...but who knows!

I don't plan on getting a truck thats older than a 93. But i am going to call tomorrow, check miles, see what the deal is on this thing.

-Mitch-

carcrz
08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
It's an old & rusty plow truck. Expect the worst as far as salt damage goes.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Mitch, let me step in right now and stop you!!!!! That car dealership you are talking about is maybe 2 miles from my house. Everything they sell there is used and have been busted a few times for rolling back odometers, etc. They are not reliable at all and wouldnt buy a wheel barrow from them. I went and looked at this truck back in November before I got my Silverado, and wow!!! That bad boy is rusted alot more than you think. The frame is nice and rusty, bed floor has some issues, etc. Its not worth your time unless you could pick it up for 1500. PLEASE PLEASE Do not do it!!!! Im not trying to steer you away from it because I want it or anything, just trying to save someone a terrible headache. PM if you want more info. Tom

DSLND
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Mitch, let me step in right now and stop you!!!!! That car dealership you are talking about is maybe 2 miles from my house. Everything they sell there is used and have been busted a few times for rolling back odometers, etc. They are not reliable at all and wouldnt buy a wheel barrow from them. I went and looked at this truck back in November before I got my Silverado, and wow!!! That bad boy is rusted alot more than you think. The frame is nice and rusty, bed floor has some issues, etc. Its not worth your time unless you could pick it up for 1500. PLEASE PLEASE Do not do it!!!! Im not trying to steer you away from it because I want it or anything, just trying to save someone a terrible headache. PM if you want more info. Tom

Wow, sounds like its a POS! I wouldn't have gotten the truck, its just the body style i like, and i knew it was trouble when i saw it and especially when its been for sale since last year! -Mitch-

08-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Very big POS!!! When I looked at it, and saw the price, I laughed my ass off and left. I just had to make sure you were not serious about the truck. I couldnt stand to see someone on here get stuck with a POS that I knew about. Tom

IA_James
08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
If you want to buy a used truck that will be reliable for you, there is one, and only one, rule that you must ALWAYS obey.

If it has had a plow on it, DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!!

High miles are sometimes a big deal, sometimes not if owner has properly maintained and repaired/replaced stuff as it should be. A bad body can be wrapped around a good frame and drivetrain. A bad motor or transmission can be inside of a cherry body. Ugly paint is doable if you get a good deal, and you won't have to look at it anyway, you're inside. Torn up interior, get a seat cover from JC Whitney. But, never, never, never, ever, buy a used plow truck.

DSLND
08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
If you want to buy a used truck that will be reliable for you, there is one, and only one, rule that you must ALWAYS obey.

If it has had a plow on it, DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!!

High miles are sometimes a big deal, sometimes not if owner has properly maintained and repaired/replaced stuff as it should be. A bad body can be wrapped around a good frame and drivetrain. A bad motor or transmission can be inside of a cherry body. Ugly paint is doable if you get a good deal, and you won't have to look at it anyway, you're inside. Torn up interior, get a seat cover from JC Whitney. But, never, never, never, ever, buy a used plow truck.

I've heard that. Theres a good chance that my first truck may have been truck in another landscape company, but it will be a starter truck, don't plan on keeping it more than four to five years. -Mitch-

08-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I went to the dealer yesterday, and it wasnt there. So Im guessing they either sold it or something. You can definatly do alot better than that truck, lol.:) Tom

DSLND
08-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I went to the dealer yesterday, and it wasnt there. So Im guessing they either sold it or something. You can definatly do alot better than that truck, lol.:) Tom

REALLY? WOW! I can't believe it sold! Oh well, too crappy for me! -Mitch-

mow king
08-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Just a side note, I personally wouldn't buy a truck and let it sit around rusting and breaking on you until you have a license..it's just throwing away money, that truck would probably cost you a grand or more in repairs before you can even put it to work.

just my 2 cents.

DSLND
08-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Just a side note, I personally wouldn't buy a truck and let it sit around rusting and breaking on you until you have a license..it's just throwing away money, that truck would probably cost you a grand or more in repairs before you can even put it to work.

just my 2 cents.

I plan on getting a truck next fall.... then start plowing with my dad by my side, and driving it all winter to my brother's swim meets, and places like that. I plan on getting it next October, then i get my license in February. With the purchase then, i will also be able to have it for clean ups. -Mitch-

kjslawn
08-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Yea I dont buy trucks that have been plow trucks bad news

naughty62
08-12-2007, 08:11 AM
With $3.00 fuel ,its a buyers market.Make the seller come to you.Keep a eye on auction and estate sales also.dont settle for wore out junk .patience .

lawnkid
08-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Listen to Tom, I drive by that dealership almost every day on my way home from the shop and I remember seeing that truck on the street. Thay still have some trucks that have been sitting there for over 3 years so that should tell you something right there.

MTR999
08-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, even though i don't get my drivers license until February 2009, i still watch the classifieds like a maniac. In November, i first noticed this truck, and about every month after that, they would put a different picture up. I've seen just about every angle of the truck and the only thing i've noticed is small rust issues around the rear wheels (seen in other picture). This truck is the style i want to purchase, and if it were closer to me, i would def. be looking at it right about now. They've had it listed at $4,495 since i first noticed it, and the only thing they don't mention is miles, which i assume are abut 100k. Heres the description from the ad:

"1989 CHEVY 2500 4X4, 350 V8, AT, W/WESTERN PLOW. $4,495"

The price has always been at $4,495 and i don't think its worth more than $4k, from an exterior view.

Heres the picture:

-Mitch-

Rule #1 never buy a used truck from used car dealership, except trucks from original dealership, no matter what condition! They gouge you like rhino, lesson learnt.
Rule #2 never buy any car or truck that has over 100,000 miles on original engine and body and parts!
Rule #3 Always buy from source or residents who use truck and KNOW the history who and who the previous owners and history of repair, go from there.
Otherwise, run like forrest gump to save your money!
May be that truck are rusty one from Katrina back in '04 who knows?...:cry:

IA_James
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I've heard that. Theres a good chance that my first truck may have been truck in another landscape company, but it will be a starter truck, don't plan on keeping it more than four to five years. -Mitch-

That time frame is liable to be approximately 3.5-4.5 years longer than the truck will last. I love the Chevy's, but the IFS front end doesn't take plowing very well.