PDA

View Full Version : Spreading topsoil

jrlandscaping781
08-10-2007, 12:28 AM
How do you guys spread topsoil for a new lawn, and how thick do you spread it? I am having to quote a 22,000 sq ft area to be seeded. It is in a sub division where the ground is terribly rocky. I did a smaller lot in this same area last year and beat the crap out of my tiller. The lady had another landscape company quote her and they said that they would spread topsoil 1" thick across the complete property. For one, I would think this would force the roots to grow only in this top one inch layer. But for me to spread 2-4" would cost more than she would want to spend. (2" = 138 yrds) And then how do you spread this topsoil at that depth with equipment? I saw a landscape company spread topsoil by dumping a bucket full and spreading by hand with a rake. (2 acres like this) A rock-picker would be good for this application, but I can't afford to add another pc of equipment, and there is no place to rent one around me. Just wondering what you guys do.

Focal Point Landscapes
08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I have an old Ford 2000 with a box blade specifically for grading out topsoil - just adding a layer in this situation makes sense if the ground is full of rocks , if the turf is irrigated the roots will go deep , but the layer of good soil helps the turf get started and will also hold moisture and nutrients . We use a Dingo with the leveler attachment for finish grading , but we still use landscape rakes for the final touch prior to sodding.