PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Question

GravelyGuy
08-10-2007, 01:38 AM
For those of you that use your diesel trucks for lawn maintenance, do you turn them on and off at every single stop? From what I have heard this is bad for the turbos.

How much fuel will a 6.0 power stroke using idling for an hour?

Thanks...

mike33087
08-10-2007, 02:59 AM
in most states its ILLEGAL to leave your vehicle running without the operator in it

TXNSLighting
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
DO NOT LEAVE A 6.0 IDLING. that is very bad for the 6.0. Thats been one of the issues making them bad. if the majority of people would turn them off, they wouldnt have as many problems.

Fatboy
08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Idling a diesel can cause it to wet stack and put fuel in the oil, wash down the cylinder walls, and cause excessive wear.
If you need to run the truck while sitting then get an idle up kit or if your lucky a little bit of wire and a SPST switch will set the idle at 1200rpm.
My truck is an 03 6.0L/6sp and the idle up is not implemented in the ECM for the manuals.
Check on the Diesel Stop and Ford Truck Enthusiasts websites for more info.

FatBoy

TXNSLighting
08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
its only the newer diesels that arent suppose to be left idling. the older cummins and 7.3's could handle 2+ hours no problem.

Lynden-Jeff
08-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I just bought an 04 6L diesel. In the winter how long can I leave it idling? Will I have issues with restarting?

Cheers
Jeff

lawnmaniac883
08-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Leaving it at idle is pointless shutting off the truck aint gonna hurt your turbo.

lawnspecialties
08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
If you've been pulling a heavy load or something similar, this will cause your EGT's to rise, thus heat up the turbo a good bit. When you get to your destination, and you feel what you've been doing has been enough to heat things up a bit, let it idle just a couple of minutes. This will cool down the turbo a plenty.

FIRESCOOBY
08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
its only the newer diesels that arent suppose to be left idling. the older cummins and 7.3's could handle 2+ hours no problem.

Actually...no. It's bad for any diesel to be left idling unless there is a way to idle it to 1000rpm or more. At idle, incomplete combustion occurs and like one member mentioned...wet stacking or washing. It's not good for any diesel to be left idling for more than 5-10 minutes.

BTW, I turn mine off at every stop. I let it idle for 1-3 minutes depending on the load I've put on it prior to stopping.

GravelyGuy
08-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Good advice guys, one question though. How do semi drivers leave there trucks running all night? Do they have something to make them idle higher?

Thanks...

SiteSolutions
08-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Are there any aftermarket tuners that allow a high idle to be set? The Ford module looks like it is mostly built for PTO operation and is probably more expensive than a good tuner. The do-it-yourself approach might be something to try but I have been considering an aftermarket tuner anyhow.

FIRESCOOBY
08-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Are there any aftermarket tuners that allow a high idle to be set? The Ford module looks like it is mostly built for PTO operation and is probably more expensive than a good tuner. The do-it-yourself approach might be something to try but I have been considering an aftermarket tuner anyhow.

The FORD AIC (Aux Idle Controller) is the best unit for idle control. I wish GM made something like it. It can be had for $200-300. If you've got a good dealer, the cost used to be $160.

Gravel Rat
08-12-2007, 12:11 PM
You never want to idle the truck unless your warming it up in the morning.

When running the engine hard for a length of time and your coming to a stop let things normalize for a few minutes then turn it off.