PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR600 Blower Problem

hzz
08-10-2007, 01:56 AM
I just bought a used BR600 blower.

It starts and runs OK, but there is a problem. When the machine is tipped, gas leaks out.

I see where the leak is......on top of the gas tank there are 2 tubes that plug into a round black disk, and the disk sits in a well on top of the tank. The disk can be removed by hand....nothing is holding it in, and when lifted the gas leaks out from there. Does anyone know what the fix is for this?

Also, can a repair manual be found anywhere for this blower? I am fairly handy and like to try to fix things myself if at all possible.

Thanks!:)

John Stiles
08-10-2007, 07:26 AM
That is most likely a duckbill valve...what I call a burble(the sound it makes)....it let air into the tank so that a vacuum doesnt form in the tank causing the engine to starve out. ~john

hzz
08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Is it normal then for it to just sit there, and for gas to leak out if the unit s tipped?

John Stiles
08-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Those little rubber items, including sometimes the clunk and the line inside the tank will deteriorate, shrink, and become pretty much useless if the gas has stayed inside for a long period of non-use. That may or may not be your problem, but if it WAS a burble valve, it should not be loose....nor leak!~j Got a picture of it?

JHugh
08-10-2007, 03:09 PM
The item you are describing is the fuel hose and primer hose connector. It should fit tight in the tank. You need to replace the connector. The part number is 4282 350 1400. If you want a repair manual you must see your local Stihl dealer. They may or may not sell you a manual. I do not think you can find an online manual. Stihl does not like to make the part and repair manuals available to the public.

anj
08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
There Is A Recall On This. Take It Back To Your Dealer To Have It RepairED.

JHugh
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
When was this so called recall? I work for a Stihl dealer and have no knowledge of any recall for the BR 600.

anj
08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I Found Out About It When My Blower Would Not Stay Running. I Did Not Know It Was Leaking Fuel From This Area But When I Took It In To The Shop They Knew What The Problem Was As Soon As They Saw The Fuel Leaking From That Area. They Repaired It And Did Not Charge Me Anything Because Of The Recall And Had Been Doing These Repairs As People Brought Their Blowers In For Other Things.

JHugh
08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Well I will have to keep that in mind if I see a 600 come in the shop. There is no actual recall from Stihl. I'm sure the shop has seen this as a common failure and know to fix it. Or they just fix it anyways to prevent a future problem.

anj
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Maybe Stihl Sent A Notice To Some Dealers About This. My Shop Guy Made The Remark That He Thought They Had Repaired All These When I Took Mines In.

hzz
08-10-2007, 08:59 PM
The item you are describing is the fuel hose and primer hose connector. It should fit tight in the tank. You need to replace the connector. The part number is 4282 350 1400. If you want a repair manual you must see your local Stihl dealer. They may or may not sell you a manual. I do not think you can find an online manual. Stihl does not like to make the part and repair manuals available to the public.

That sounds exactly right. It should fit tight but it doesn't. I took it to a dealer today to let him have a look at it and I'll have the report early next week.

It seems like a tough part to get at...I tried to remove the orange cover but after loosening the 2 top screws there is something holding it on on the bottom, and I couldn't get it off. Repair manual would be nice.