PDA

View Full Version : Work pics from today

HBLandscaping
08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Here is a job that we did today. The owner is a grass cuttng client that i have for 5 yrs now and she wanted something quick, cheep and that looked good. She gave me a budget of $400. She already had the bricks left over from years ago, So I put them to good use. I put this project together in 2 days and she is so pleased with the way it turned out that she handed me an extra $50 to take my (2) Guys out to lunch today. I think this turned out really good for me not putting a whole lot of thought into it.

When this dry spell and 100 degree temps ends (hopefully soon) she wants us to come back and do some plantings in the new flowerbed.

NNJLandman
08-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Looks nice, good improvment, I hate trimming under decks. I woulda just made a nice edge instead of using the bricks.

josh1981
08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
fantastic job!

MILSINC
08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm confused as hell.

meets1
08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Neater yes - but confused also - I would of trenched in those brick so there in the ground - the pic makes it appear that there above ground??

lifetree
08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it looks nice for the effort and the $ 400 price tag !!

HBLandscaping
08-10-2007, 10:21 PM
The bricks were something she wanted added because she had a big pile of them sitting around. It was my idea to make a nice edge but she shot that down LOL. The bricks are in the ground but only 2 inches, She wanted them to stand out and be above the ground. (1) Remember I had a budget which I had to stay within which would of been used up. (2) There was about 30 bricks sitting around , which the customer wanted used up (3) You cant really tell by the first picture, but there is paver's down in the background which had to stay along with a concrete slab that the pool equipment was sitting on. There is a 3 inch height difference between the paver's and the ground. I had to make the stone meet up with. (4) I put my 10 cents in and let the client decide on what they wanted and this is how she wanted it to be. She liked it enough to pay me an extra $50.

Kid With A Mower
08-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Why the contrast between brown mulch an white stones? You need more shrubs in the front there! The bricks look ok though.

HBLandscaping
08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
The homeowner was tired of seeing the dead yard under the deck and the pool equipment. She wanted this area cleaned up to match other areas of the yard and around the pool (The brick throughout the yard was done by her husband over the years, He passed 5 yrs ago when I took over the lawn care). She wanted to stay with the same theme as her husband started but with a newer look. I like the darker mulch (almost black) which I use on 90% of my yards but this is the same mulch as the whole yard has. If I would of changed the type and color mulch for this project then It wouldnt of matched up with the rest of her yard, Plus the price increase.

This job had a $400 budget (Due to other work we had done or are about to take on- Almost $2,000 worth this month and that doesnt include the weekly lawn mowing -$160 each month) We came in and walked out just shy of 2 hrs later with a finished project. It costed $165.00 for supplies, plus $35 for labor. I walked away with $200 dollars, a completed project, a picture for our project book and mostly a happy customer. Not bad for aproject that was a last second add on with at tight budget and one days advanced notice. This is part 1 of a 5 part job to be done this year in that area of her pool,patio and deck that are all conected. I will try to get a pic this week of the over all area in which this work is and will continued to be done.

At this point due to the drought conditions we are having (5 weeks with no rain, Havent even seen 1 rain drop) and being close to the end of summer we decided to wait until early spring to do any plantings. She has a few ideas but not 100% sure on what to plant, So I gave her the winter to think it over and when we come in in early spring to do clean-ups and re-mulch (hopefully with darker mulch) we will plant whatever she has picked out. I will post updated picks when we finish up.

I have worked with this customer for 5 yrs now. She is a regular weekly grass customer and I average 5 -6 other jobs/projects throughout the year which brings in good money (last year including grass $7,600). This is one customer that I make sure I take care of because she has taken care of me.

Thanks for the compliments

britsteroni
08-11-2007, 12:29 PM
looks like you threw down some mulch and rock and edged it with bricks... I wouldn't have paid you $400 for that job.

markam70
08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
take that check to the bank and cash it before she sobers up!!

HBLandscaping
08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, What would you have charged ?????? if it cost you a total of $200 for supplies and your workers. I charged $375.00, So I made $60 and the company made the rest. To me that was a pretty fair price.

kjslawn
08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Man give a brother a break $400 this is not a high end project he said she just wanted it cleaned up. Well its cleaned up and it will be easier to mow from now on.

HBLandscaping
08-11-2007, 07:59 PM
kjsland - Thanks for the support and reading my post all the way through which it seems some people didn't do. In my area $400 wouldn't get you half of this. I live in the area of 500's to 3 & 4 million dollars homes/Estates, This was just a quick solution to an area that wasn't in the original plans. I took on this project just to make the over all look of the whole yard look complete when all is said and done... and to help out an outstanding client I have thats never treated my wrong.

RedMax Man
08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Do you have any bricks to swap out the ones with holes? Other than that its fine for what they wanted.

Kid With A Mower
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
The homeowner was tired of seeing the dead yard under the deck and the pool equipment. She wanted this area cleaned up to match other areas of the yard and around the pool (The brick throughout the yard was done by her husband over the years, He passed 5 yrs ago when I took over the lawn care). She wanted to stay with the same theme as her husband started but with a newer look. I like the darker mulch (almost black) which I use on 90% of my yards but this is the same mulch as the whole yard has. If I would of changed the type and color mulch for this project then It wouldnt of matched up with the rest of her yard, Plus the price increase.

This job had a $400 budget (Due to other work we had done or are about to take on- Almost $2,000 worth this month and that doesnt include the weekly lawn mowing -$160 each month) We came in and walked out just shy of 2 hrs later with a finished project. It costed $165.00 for supplies, plus $35 for labor. I walked away with $200 dollars, a completed project, a picture for our project book and mostly a happy customer. Not bad for aproject that was a last second add on with at tight budget and one days advanced notice. This is part 1 of a 5 part job to be done this year in that area of her pool,patio and deck that are all conected. I will try to get a pic this week of the over all area in which this work is and will continued to be done.

At this point due to the drought conditions we are having (5 weeks with no rain, Havent even seen 1 rain drop) and being close to the end of summer we decided to wait until early spring to do any plantings. She has a few ideas but not 100% sure on what to plant, So I gave her the winter to think it over and when we come in in early spring to do clean-ups and re-mulch (hopefully with darker mulch) we will plant whatever she has picked out. I will post updated picks when we finish up.

I have worked with this customer for 5 yrs now. She is a regular weekly grass customer and I average 5 -6 other jobs/projects throughout the year which brings in good money (last year including grass $7,600). This is one customer that I make sure I take care of because she has taken care of me.

Thanks for the compliments

Ahh, I see. Customer is always right. :laugh: Looks good, hope my post wasn't viewed as being critical.

South Florida Lawns
08-12-2007, 10:19 PM
looks great to me saves time and you pocketed at least $300.

HBLandscaping
08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Well from some of these replys I can tell who are the "Real Professionals" and who are the wanna be weekend "I think I'll play lawn guy".

Thanks to those of you who read my post and read ALL OF THE WORDS AND UNDERSTOOD THEM. Also thanks for the "Professional" replys with worth while comments and questions.

markam70
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Well from some of these replys I can tell who are the "Real Professionals" and who are the wanna be weekend "I think I'll play lawn guy".

Thanks to those of you who read my post and read ALL OF THE WORDS AND UNDERSTOOD THEM. Also thanks for the "Professional" replys with worth while comments and questions.

And by looking at your pics, I can tell also. If you and your customer think it looks great, then that's wonderful.

....It costed $165.00 for supplies, plus $35 for labor. I walked away with $200 dollars, a completed project, a picture for our project book and mostly a happy customer. Not bad for aproject that was a last second ....

I can't imagine any landscape professional using these pics.

britsteroni
08-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, What would you have charged ?????? if it cost you a total of $200 for supplies and your workers. I charged $375.00, So I made $60 and the company made the rest. To me that was a pretty fair price. HBLandscaping

Just because a job cost you a certain amount due to labor and materials (200.00) doesn't make the job worth what you charged. Again, in my opinion, I would never pay that much for what you did. It looks like you threw down some mulch and rock and bordered it with brick that the customer already had. I don't think you would pay $400.00 for that same job at your place.

I can't imagine any landscape professional using these pics. markam70

Couldn't agree more.

poolboy
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure you really needed the extra labor.

NNL&LS
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
A few things stand out here. You claimed that the people criticizing your work are weekend warriors. It appears to me to be just the other way around. And how do you call yourself HB Landscaping, when YOU are just a lawn jockey? If you're going to post garbage like that, then be ready for the storm. Few things wrong with it: Seriosly, you went with that white stone? And where's the edging to seperate materials? and why in the world would you use those bricks as edging, and not at least bury them so that you can't just kick them over. Does anyone have to mow or trim there? Of course they do, get a clue. With the time and money involved, I could have laid a proper brick walk/landing/patio. Get real.

LawnMowerMan3875
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
It looks to me to be a fine dandy of a job. Makes your weekly mowing easier, quicker, which in turns means more dollar for the hour. I've also learned that making the customer happy is more important the dollar amount spent on doing a job that will satisfy both. More importantly, who cares what everyone elses opinions are. Your happy, the customer is happy. Its all GOOD!! Not critting anyone, but I'm sure most will agree that if we could do it ALL our way, It would be better, get talked about more to the neighbors and probably get more biz to do more of that kind of work... PLUS, We would make more money out of it....
Good Job HB

LawnMowerMan3875
08-15-2007, 06:45 PM
looks like you threw down some mulch and rock and edged it with bricks... I wouldn't have paid you $400 for that job.

You would of paid him more, right? LMAO. And just out of curiousity. Why don't you tell us what you would of done in that same situation. She has been a customer for five years. Would you go in there and relandscape the whole area for $400.00 Just so you could send in pictures that would make us all go OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH? Keep south....:nono:

zima
08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
good thing this project is in the back yard,it will make you look bad if it was in the front of the house, other people always look and think who is the landscaper, so you think you work 2.5 h and you make $ which is fine , But you have to think about your IMAGE the jobs you do speak to other customers jmo.

HBLandscaping
08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
First off, As for the "weekend wanna be landscaper" which I guess most of us on here are (since they posted positive responses) wish we could be LANDSCAPING GOD'S like those few that prefer to get on here and bash and degrade instead of support or offer suggestions.

Lawnmowerman - Thanks for your support on this. I guess some dont care about making the customer happy and doing what they want done. I guess these are the same ones who sit back and let the ol mighty $$$$ run there buisness and treat their customers like trash.

The homeowner shot down my ideas and suggestions and this is what was decided on. So if anyone out here doesnt like the set up, Tough Sh!t. The customer is the one who wanted this done "Their way" and that is the way we did it because this company listens to their customers. As for "good thing this project is in the back yard,it will make you look bad if it was in the front of the house, " Well Zima, Maybe your customers or your neighbors but I picked up this customer 5 years ago and was the only one on her street. Over the past 5 yrs I have picked up 7 neighbors of her's from them looking at what we have done at her house and I picked up over the last 3 yrs 4 more neighbors from my client passing on our name and number.

My company continues to grow (Phone rings everyday with new interested clients) and 90% of this comes from current/previous customers refering us, So with that said we must be doing something right.... Its funny how one small project that was a quick fix to a problem she was having under her deck turned into a 3 page shitting match. WOW what muture adults we have on here. All I can say to those of you that would rather bash, Talk sh!t, disrespect or trash me and my company over a picture that shows what kind of buisness you run and what your bottom line is, Must be $$$$, no matter how you get it. If you can or think you can do better well then go do it, But dont come on here and talk trash based on a picture when you don t know the whole story or even able to see the whole picture. This picture is only about 1/8 of the backyard in which is or has been worked on. While completing some other work she asked if we could do a quick fix and that is what we did with what we were handed from the client (Idea's, budget and mostly what she wanted done and how).

I didnt need a 3rd labor on this job, but before you go and start stuff, let me tell you why I had a 3rd person with me on this job.... The 3rd person was with me because he was riding with me that day and we were at and on the way to other jobs that required 3 people. What was I to do???? leave him on the corner and tell him I'll pick up up in an hour when we finish this job cus we dont need you? Do you do that to your workers? I hope not or you will be looking for workers everday cus no one would work for you. I treat my guys with respect and even though I didnt need a 3rd hand on this job he was there , he helped and he was on the clock because it was one of his 5 days a week he works. I guess I could of been an a$$ and took him off the clock for an hour and made him go sit in the corner until we were finished.

What a joke, A simple posted picture has turned into. THANKS to all of you who read and understand what I have posted over the past 3 pages and thanks for those who have supported me. As for those who havent, well Im not wasting anymore time replying to this thread or any of your crap. I did what the homeowner wanted, She paid me, this minor project/quick fix is over and so is my replays to your post. I guess If this is what you get when you post pictures on here, then I guess most will stop posting them.

britsteroni
08-16-2007, 03:16 AM
HBLandscaping,

I apologize if I upset you, but why did you post the pics if you didn't want people's comments? Did you want everyone to tell you that you are the best landscaper on lawnsite?

Some have stated that I didn't post anything that I would have done differently, suggesting I was just bashing you. I would not put mulch and rock in without some sort of border to seperate them. I wouldn't put the rock in at all frankly. I think the bricks should be set in the ground one way or another because, as mentioned before, they will fall over without much resistance. Those are just a few ideas, but if the lady is happy I guess to you that is all that matters.

The fact that you made your customer happy is great. But she could have been just as happy if you would have changed a few things around.

Again, I apologize for upsetting you, but do not post pictures if you don't want feedback (positive and negative).

britsteroni
08-16-2007, 03:32 AM
LawnMowerMan3875,

I didn't want to get into any kind of pissing match but your comment rubbed me the wrong way.

First off, I don't do any landscape installs for this very reason. All of my customers are mow-n-go "wallmart shoppers," and could not afford to have the job done right (much like this lady) so I don't screw with it. And, yes, for your information, I worked for one of the largest landscaping companies in the city throughout high school so I do have somewhat of an idea on landscape installs.

I am a part time operation and it is almost more than I can handle. My emphasis is on school, period. I don't want to mow grass for the rest of my life. This business is paying for my bachelors and masters degrees so that I can provide a better life for my family in the future. If my career takes me to Kansas City in the future, I will be sure to look you up to do my lawn care for me....

markam70
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
First off, As for the "weekend wanna be landscaper" which I guess most of us on here are (since they posted positive responses) wish we could be LANDSCAPING GOD'S like those few that prefer to get on here and bash and degrade instead of support or offer suggestions.

Lawnmowerman - Thanks for your support on this. I guess some dont care about making the customer happy and doing what they want done. I guess these are the same ones who sit back and let the ol mighty $$$$ run there buisness and treat their customers like trash.

The homeowner shot down my ideas and suggestions and this is what was decided on. So if anyone out here doesnt like the set up, Tough Sh!t. The customer is the one who wanted this done "Their way" and that is the way we did it because this company listens to their customers. As for "good thing this project is in the back yard,it will make you look bad if it was in the front of the house, " Well Zima, Maybe your customers or your neighbors but I picked up this customer 5 years ago and was the only one on her street. Over the past 5 yrs I have picked up 7 neighbors of her's from them looking at what we have done at her house and I picked up over the last 3 yrs 4 more neighbors from my client passing on our name and number.

My company continues to grow (Phone rings everyday with new interested clients) and 90% of this comes from current/previous customers refering us, So with that said we must be doing something right.... Its funny how one small project that was a quick fix to a problem she was having under her deck turned into a 3 page shitting match. WOW what muture adults we have on here. All I can say to those of you that would rather bash, Talk sh!t, disrespect or trash me and my company over a picture that shows what kind of buisness you run and what your bottom line is, Must be $$$$, no matter how you get it. If you can or think you can do better well then go do it, But dont come on here and talk trash based on a picture when you don t know the whole story or even able to see the whole picture. This picture is only about 1/8 of the backyard in which is or has been worked on. While completing some other work she asked if we could do a quick fix and that is what we did with what we were handed from the client (Idea's, budget and mostly what she wanted done and how).

I didnt need a 3rd labor on this job, but before you go and start stuff, let me tell you why I had a 3rd person with me on this job.... The 3rd person was with me because he was riding with me that day and we were at and on the way to other jobs that required 3 people. What was I to do???? leave him on the corner and tell him I'll pick up up in an hour when we finish this job cus we dont need you? Do you do that to your workers? I hope not or you will be looking for workers everday cus no one would work for you. I treat my guys with respect and even though I didnt need a 3rd hand on this job he was there , he helped and he was on the clock because it was one of his 5 days a week he works. I guess I could of been an a$$ and took him off the clock for an hour and made him go sit in the corner until we were finished.

What a joke, A simple posted picture has turned into. THANKS to all of you who read and understand what I have posted over the past 3 pages and thanks for those who have supported me. As for those who havent, well Im not wasting anymore time replying to this thread or any of your crap. I did what the homeowner wanted, She paid me, this minor project/quick fix is over and so is my replays to your post. I guess If this is what you get when you post pictures on here, then I guess most will stop posting them.

Why so sensitive? You posted the pics and didn't get the praise you expected? Do you really think it looks that good? Quit cryin like a little girl. That looks like some homeowners' work, not the work of a true professional. Sorry if my opinion bothers you.

NNL&LS
08-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I knew he'd break!! I just knew it!!

tthomass
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
I didn't read all the replies but at $400, even for 2hrs work I would say you lost money.

After you factor your overhead, driving time and other time involved that you could have been doing something else I would be willing to bet you're negative. Perhaps it was a 'on the way' pop in and out job.

Difference in my thinking though is I do not mow, only install. I would lose money if someone paid me $400 to sit on my butt at home and do nothing. All in all, it goes back to overhead.

zima
08-18-2007, 10:51 PM
O my so sorry i apologize for upset you was not my intention, that was just my opinion, hope you grow your company big time;i'm still growing as well, remember feedback is positive and negative that's how we learn, i also do irrigation,and ligthnig repair work which is good $ too, keep up with the hard work and keep customers happy, word of mouth take you long way.

David Hartzog
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm confused as hell.

You and david hartzog

Kid With A Mower
08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
I knew he'd break!! I just knew it!!

Yeah he got pissed! Congrats on pissing somebody off by degrading there work.
Then the fact that you predicted this, WTF get a life. HB, I think that it looks great. All that really matters is that the customer is happy, and you enjoyed doing it. %&@$ what others say.

britsteroni
08-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Kid With A Mower,

"all that matters is that the customer is happy, and you enjoyed doing it"

Your exactly right! Making a profit is pointless!!! You can come mow my lawn all summer long. How does $15.00/cut sound? Oh yeah, it's almost 3 acres.

HBLandscaping
02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Ok, as you can see the first pictures were posted a while ago. This fall we completed the second phase of this project.

Many of u didn't like the used bricks in these pictures, They have now been replaced during the second phase of this project as well as some plantings. Early this spring the final step will be done. I will post somemore pictures as soon as I can.

This project had to be done in phases due to cost. Once this area of the back yard is complete, we will begin to re-do the area around the pool (that should be donw by fall as well)

fl-landscapes
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
No doubt better than what was there. But you had two guys with you for two days. thats 3 guys 2 days 48 man hours Thats less than $10/hr. Oh ya material??????? And overhead. The extra $50 may have had you guys making $8 hr. Am I missing something?

Kennedy Landscaping
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah I think the bricks are tacky as hell but the customer is always right! Good job

DuallyVette
02-27-2009, 10:14 PM
August 2007...February 2009...Shouldn't you let sleeping dogs lie.

STIHL GUY
02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
good work. it looks nice

FYS777
02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I think that all the guys that said you charged to much are low ballers, I think you did just fine and the contrast is good, not like the other guys wont all the colors to match, then you couldn't tell one part from another, get real, by the time you get the flowers in, it will contrast perfect with the colors.