PDA

View Full Version : equipment for tree removal and chipping bussiness.

t190
08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
looking to start a tree removal(pine beetle) and chipping bussiness. Mainly residentuail (sp)
looking for advice on equipment;
would like to be self contained.
looking at soo far:
large track skid steer: Deere ct332
Grapple
tree shear
light material bucket
GMC 6500 or equal truck you are able to drive with a class 5, with dump box that you can also haul a skid in the back of. (is it possible?)
mainly a horizontal chipper you can pull.(need advice)
Looking for every ones 2 cents etc.
ideas open
thanks

grandview (2006)
08-10-2007, 06:46 PM
First would be can you get insurance big money and work mens comp

Don't forget to sign up for one of the Turf free magazines.

http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/

dozerman21
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't try to haul the skid in the box of a truck that size. That would be a good truck to pull the loader with. A CT332 weighs 10,500+lbs., so keep that in mind before you buy anything to move it.

What about a dump trailer? That would leave you with a lot of options for a truck, and you could haul the loader or material. You would probably have to beef up the ramps. I think most are only rated up to 10,000lbs. Just make sure whatever trailer or truck you get, it's going to be heavy and big enough for down the road, at least as far as you can see.:)

Gravel Rat
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Any of the tree surgeons here have a chipper and a 1.5 ton truck with a dump box on it for catching the chips.

First question why do you need a skid steer and a tree sheer ?

Falling trees by hand is easier in residential work especially if you have to bring the tree down in chunks.

I would rather have a excavator with a hydaulic thumb over a skid steer. A mini excavator can push small trees over and assist in directing trees in falling. A mini excavator can rip out the stumps and move the lengths of logs.

Last question do you have any experience in tree removal ?

ksss
08-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I do work for several tree service guys. Mostly it amounts to stump removal which would support GR theory. My advice would be that you don't need a 332 to cut trees. I use my excavator for these guys to sometimes load trucks or more likely dig stumps out. You don't that much capacity to pickup trees. I would get a smaller wheeled skid steer something in the 2400 ROC range. Your trucks will always be on the street more than likely. I would invest in some Altura mats and use that instead. Tracked machines make a mess when turning so you are not likely to gain anything. The mats will prevent you from sinking in yards. Your operating costs will be lower and your investment will be smaller. You will never get the money out of a large tracked machine for what your doing, unless your doing something specialized. A 85Xt or 445 sized machine would be as big as I would go and you could certainly go smaller. Rememeber you can usually cut the material down to the size that you can handle it. These are some of my thoughts. Your money will be better spent on getting a good chipper, bucket truck, and chipper truck. Thats were you will make your money.

Stillwater
08-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Don't you hate it when a reasonable question is asked and BAM! you get a slew of responses about insurance licenses the law and various other lines of BS totally unrelated to the question you asked?

Stillwater
08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
First would be can you get insurance big money and work mens comp

Don't forget to sign up for one of the Turf free magazines.

http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/

No! "first" would be a reasonable response related to his question. He asked about equipment, He did not ask about Business Management

t190
08-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Any of the tree surgeons here have a chipper and a 1.5 ton truck with a dump box on it for catching the chips.

First question why do you need a skid steer and a tree sheer ?

Falling trees by hand is easier in residential work especially if you have to bring the tree down in chunks.

I would rather have a excavator with a hydaulic thumb over a skid steer. A mini excavator can push small trees over and assist in directing trees in falling. A mini excavator can rip out the stumps and move the lengths of logs.

Last question do you have any experience in tree removal ?
alright
skid steer and shear: For traveling long distances for doing pine beetle slective logging,there is no money to be made doing it besides for chippin git due to lumber prices, soo the mill is out. the tree shear will cut more trees down on acerages opposed to a faller etc.(time/money)

this is aimed more at people with land, not as much 2 trees on your front lawn.
I meen like 30 pine spread over 3 acres, in which you need travel speed to be productive. mini wont do that well.

Now do i have any experience with tree removal;
hmm lets see our family is supported by wood
grampa owns a logging show; 150 000 cubic meters a year
2 bunchers, 3 skidders, 3 processors,3 cats,2 966s,2button tops, 2 road builders
dad loaded logs,(7 minute 7 axle loads with a 200 size button top averaging 35 loads a day:dizzy: , now gravel rat your from bc have u heard of anything near that withthat size machine?) owns 3 highway trucks and 5 logging trucks.
moms a forester, mainly small scale salvage and shes the one who wants to do this, iam just getting the info for her

Scag48
08-11-2007, 03:12 AM
No! "first" would be a reasonable response related to his question. He asked about equipment, He did not ask about Business Management

The best advice I've ever recieved was advice I didn't ask for. Fact.

Some people overlook the smaller points of operating a business, I guess Grandview was just trying to make sure he didn't buy the cart before the horse.

Sounds like t190 has answered all his own questions in this thread. If your family has been in logging so long and you know what a productive machine for the job would be, why are you asking landscapers and excavation guys about logging equipment on an online forum? :dizzy: Sounds like you got it figured out, go for it dude.

Stillwater
08-11-2007, 03:22 AM
The best advice I've ever recieved was advice I didn't ask for. Fact.

Really? thats good.......

grandview (2006)
08-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Looking at the stuff he has listed it looks like at least 250,000.00 used.Since I don't know how much he has to spend that's not my problem. Are you doing lot clearing only? Them you have decent stuff. If your doing tree trimming and cutting in residential do you know how to climb? Not everything can be done from a bucket.
As for the insurance question sometimes you need to know that first because maybe you filed a claim at one time or insurance companies maybe charging more than you thought and you may have to rethink you plan.

ksss
08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I guess I had assumed a tree service as trimming and cutting down trees in a residential setting. If the plan is to do selective logging or lot clearing than that would require different equipment all together. I read an article some time ago on a company that specialized in that type of work. I don't remember the publication but they were high lighting the fact that they used CAT CTLs. They traveled around cleaning out trees that had died off due to bugs or fire as I recall. You may try and search that article in some of the industry publications it would probably provide you some of the info your looking for. Given that, a large CTL and in my mind a 10-12K excavator working together would make sense. It would allow selective harvesting of trees without tearing the hell out of the terrain.

cddva
08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
If the typical size pine tree diameter is within the specs of the tree shear, that sounds like a good tool for the job (assuming the idea is to eliminate the chain saw and leave the stumps?). The JD 332 is a vertical lift machine (I believe) and that seems like a good attribute for use with a tree shear based on demonstration videos of shears that I've seen. I don't think it requires alot of hydraulic flow for shear operation. Sounds like mom is going after a niche market due to pine beetle infestation......."one man's loss is another man's gain". Good luck.

Construct'O
08-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Here is my CTL and tree shear
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=176172&page=2

The shear is a Dymax and can shear up to 14" trees.It is super heavy duty!!!!!! Don't see you tearing it up on a skid except maybe hoses or such.

It is high dollar ,but built tuff ! Good luck !

Gravel Rat
08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I thought you wanted to do residential tree work or its the way I read your first post.

Personally I would try find a machine on wheels for what you want to do.

Something like this http://www.waldonequipment.com/5100.asp

YellowDogSVC
08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
I use a couple of high flow k series Bobcat s300's, a toolcat, a 20" Tree Terminator, Bobcat Industrial Grapple instead of root grapple, FAE (CAT HM312) Brush Mower, Brushcat, and a Vermeer BC2000 w/ loader and a 12' x 7' bed dump trailer with 3 ft. sides. I haul with an f350 4x4 and a Chevy 3500 4x4.
Fully self contained for large tree removals especially if I work with some climbers. I work alone most days so I have invested in the right equipment and have spent 10 yrs. researching and learning. Expect to pay $250,000 for equipment to be ready to go but you could get by cheaper with used equipment and trucks.

I would rent what you need to start...
After years of renting, I also picked up a rockhound landscape rake and tons of other attachments to be able to offer just about anything. My next purchase will be a skid steer stump grinder so I don't have to use the FAE for everything.

Better yet, get a Bobcat and grapple and chipper and team up with a tree company and help them dispose of brush. let them grind stumps and do the takedowns..