PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Craftsman mower deck

shadling
08-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I've got a Craftsman 26hp 54" mower that I need some help with. It's a model 27690, and the mower deck height adjustment isn't working quite right for me. It has a six position adjustment level, and I have to mow in the highest position all the time because anything lower scalps my lawn. The highest I can mow is about 2 1/2", and I'd really like to be able to mow higher. The height adjustment is maxed out, so I could use some advise on how to raise the mower deck if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Shadling

Breezmister
08-10-2007, 11:13 PM
I've got a Craftsman 26hp 54" mower that I need some help with. It's a model 27690, and the mower deck height adjustment isn't working quite right for me.

Hacw you tried Sears ?

http://www.sears.com

Juan_Deere
08-11-2007, 12:30 AM
I work with a guy that recently bought one of those, or a similar model. His mower is red, but I think the mowing deck is the same. I believe it is a defective design, or they were all adjusted or put together incorrectly from the factory. He complains that he can't use the full range of the advertised mowing height and he either has to adjust it all the way up, or all the way down, and that there is no middle ground to take advantage of the full range. He also says it is impossible to get a close cut, because the blades are recessed a full two or three inches from the bottom plane of the deck. So if he puts the mower down to the 2 setting, he can't get a two inch cut, because the deck is digging into the ground, before the blades have a chance to reach two inches and the anti-scalp wheels are fixed and also prevent the deck from going any lower.