PDA

View Full Version : sweet gum sprouts?

d.m.d.
08-11-2007, 02:19 PM
i had 2 good size sweet gums taken down 2 years ago.i also had the stumps ground out and i filled the holes with dirt.took forever to get grass to grow in these spots.now the prob is little gum tree sprouts all over.is there anything to kill them and not hurt the lawn?those little dudes out grow the grass.

cgaengineer
08-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Round-Up should take care of them I would think, but you will have to paint it one with an old sock.

LarryF
08-11-2007, 03:56 PM
It's a little hard to believe a lawn mower won't make short work of them. How many sprouts are you talking about? Several dozen? Can't you just pull them out like weeds? I've sprayed them with Lesco's Quick Pro, which I think is just Roundup, and they didn't seem to like it. Of course that may not be too good for your new grass in that area.

d.m.d.
08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
oh the ferris hydro cuts them off quick.but they grow twice as fast as the grass does......

DiyDave
08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
They'll never get the chance to mature, eventually they'll all die off. We have a few mulberry tree seedlings in our lawn that have been there as long as I can remember, the only time that you notice them is during a dry spell in the summer-kinda look like a weird little bonsai tree. 20 years of me mowing hasn't killed them yet!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: