PDA

View Full Version : Lawns getting Crispy

tjsquickcuts
08-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Man, I am about to really get sick....So today I decided to go out and check on all of my accounts and boy did I get a shock....man the last few days have really put a beating on all the lawns in my area.....it was fine when we were dry and the temps were mild, but now that the temps have gotten out of control, and with no rain the lawns are really starting to show signs of drought stress. I walked through the lawn on one of my commerical accounts and you can see all my foot prints and how I killed everything I walked on....If we dont get any rain within the next 14 days, there is really going to be a problem....even my accounts with irrigation systems are showing signs of drought stress.....Who else is seeing this happening?? I mean its crazy, because the little rain we did get really Greened things up, and its all starting to fade away after each cut....

lonnie
08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Starting to get that way to here in Oklahoma.

WhitakerServices
08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Dry as a bone in Covington , Ga. The pay as you go lawns are killing my income, this dry heat is baking the crap out of everything. It reminds me of June (virtually no rain here) but hotter. not irrigated = toast.
and it really is just too damn hot.

T Total Lawncare
08-11-2007, 07:49 PM
The dust is whats killing me. I've been hacking up mud for 2 weeks now!

lawnscapesLLC
08-11-2007, 07:51 PM
it was super hot and dry in nj till two days ago. The high yesterday was only like 65 or so and today i don't think it hit 80. Really weird to go from almost 100 one day to 65 the day after.

Dugann
08-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Same here in Western Arkansas. :(

LwnmwrMan22
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
My area of Minnesota, up until about a week ago. Now we're getting SOME rain.

I've got a school district that we mowed once last month. Sure is nice getting that $6,400 check for one week's worth of work, instead of 4. :D

topsites
08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I haven't seen a good rain since May, things are a bit tight but that's normal for a dry year, nothing else unusual, most of my lawns are on 3-4 weeks and I'm cutting high, they stay pretty green it just gets a bit lofty between cuts.

So lofty in fact, couple of my customers got letters from their hoas :laugh:
I just tell them to let the hoa know they have a commercial outfit taking care of their place and if there are any questions give that hoa my number, and that's the last I ever hear about it.

Because there are only 1-2 cuts from green to dead, maybe 3, 4 at absolute best, once dead it is done, over.
A stressed lawn is one step closer.
A dormant lawn is but one small step away...
Guess it's green, stressed, dormant, dead... Yeah, 2 or 3 carelessly timed cuts in this heat and it's over.

Cutting in late afternoon towards evening seems to help, maybe I'm not so crazy after all getting up at the crack of noon :laugh:

I've got a school district that we mowed once last month. Sure is nice getting that $6,400 check for one week's worth of work, instead of 4. :D

Ok you got me, there are advantages to commercial :laugh:
I think you still have to pre-screen thou, the one place I did insisted on weekly cuts, no irrigation system, crappy lawn...
Live and learn, glad to see you got it going on.

carcrz
08-11-2007, 11:00 PM
It's just starting to get really crispy here. Luckily I only have a few residentials that don't water & only one large commercial. I picked a good year to switch to seasonal contracts.

LwnmwrMan22
08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
I haven't seen a good rain since May, things are a bit tight but that's normal for a dry year, nothing else unusual, most of my lawns are on 3-4 weeks and I'm cutting high, they stay pretty green it just gets a bit lofty between cuts.

So lofty in fact, couple of my customers got letters from their hoas :laugh:
I just tell them to let the hoa know they have a commercial outfit taking care of their place and if there are any questions give that hoa my number, and that's the last I ever hear about it.

Because there are only 1-2 cuts from green to dead, maybe 3, 4 at absolute best, once dead it is done, over.
A stressed lawn is one step closer.
A dormant lawn is but one small step away...
Guess it's green, stressed, dormant, dead... Yeah, 2 or 3 carelessly timed cuts in this heat and it's over.

Cutting in late afternoon towards evening seems to help, maybe I'm not so crazy after all getting up at the crack of noon :laugh:

Ok you got me, there are advantages to commercial :laugh:
I think you still have to pre-screen thou, the one place I did insisted on weekly cuts, no irrigation system, crappy lawn...
Live and learn, glad to see you got it going on.

I can't believe it.... I'm actually on the same page as topsites after all these years.

It's the biggest thing I stress to my contracted accounts. "I" decide when it's time to mow. It says in my service agreement that grass will be kept between 3" and 5" tall, if not dormant.

I also have pictures on hand that show when people insisted that I mow, how tire tracks are then left in the grass, even when the rest of the grass turns green for the first week or two if the grass comes back in the fall.

I then have other pictures where the grass that was let go a little taller comes back much more rapidly when we finally do get some rain.

If you have customers that are willing to be educated, then you're good to go.

The ones that insist it's going to be done their way, then they're good to go.... bye-bye.