PDA

View Full Version : Ford or Dodge?

nitrod
08-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, I am thinking of buying a new diesl, I can get employee discount on the Ford and Dodge, I am leaning twoard the Dodge.

phlandscaping
08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
FORD!!! Just got a 99 F250 Diesel and love it! My friend has a dodge and said when he get's the money to buy a new truck he's going with ford!

BobcatBoy06
08-11-2007, 07:10 PM
If you want to buy a new truck I would try to find a dealer that has a 06 Dodge diesel, that way you will be emissions free. If you can't find any 06's I would buy the 07 cummins for sure.

JPLTrucking
08-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree with Bobcat, try to find either a Dodge or Ford tht is pre new emissions. I have a 2002 F350 with the old reliable 7.3. Love this truck. The cummins is a great engine, but I like the Ford truck better. I realize you are looking at a new truck, but all of the new diesels are first year engines with all kinds of emissions stuff on them.

ULTIMATE LAWN SERVICE
08-11-2007, 09:56 PM
im shoping also . and get the discount on both but , i currently have gm's
and love them but my next will be a ford , the $$$ between the 2 ford/dodge are about 3,000 diffrence the ford is higher and gm is another 3,000 more than ford from what ive been shoping aroud here ,

carcrz
08-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Don't get a new Ford. My grandpa & a friend have both lost their Turbos & 1 injector each. Neither of them has over 15K on the odometer. My '05 Dodge is trouble free so far (knock on wood).

Gravel Rat
08-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Is it really worth buying new trucks now they are so way over priced and with the emmission crap they are a problematic. It doesn't matter if you have a Ford Dodge or Chev the emmisions crap is causing problems.

Dodge has been thumbing their nose at the emission regs and now they can't the Cummins 6.7 is having the same problems as Ford and Chev. The 6.4 Ford seems to be okay so far except for its being said the MPG isn't that good. The 6.7 Dodge is having problems so if you want a Dodge get a 5.9.

At todays truck prices its almost cheaper to keep fixing a older truck. Find a truck with lower mileage and in good shape and keep running it till it dies.

tbambersvc
08-12-2007, 01:48 PM
If you can find an early '07 Dodge diesel with the 5.9, go for it. Friend of mine had priced an '07 Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed with the diesel and auto tranny for $32k out the door. Not too bad of a price considering the Fords are on the lot for $45k plus. I would be driving a Ford F350 if they weren't so expensive.

TXNSLighting
08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
the ford may be a bit more expensive, but its worth it for the quality. trust me there. the 6.4 is turning out to be a great engine. im hearing lots of mixed reviews on the 6.7 cummins. some love it some hate it. even with the new duramax, the majority of the people like them, just not a fan of the price and new body style. but their all expensive now. i will be getting another ford in december for quality reasons, my dodge is acting like its 10 years old, and its only 2 years old. but the engine is fantastic! But its not worht having since its in a dodge. weve all heard it, you get what you pay for. Im going to shell out the extra money for the ford!!

JoshC
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Ford had a lot of problems with the new emissions equipment. They were blowing flames out of the exhaust during regeneration and caused a few major brush fires. Ford did recall them so hopefully they resolved the issue. I haven't really been a fan of the "6 point uh oh" but maybe they got the kinks worked out in the 6.4. As far as everything else goes, Ford seems to have their act together.

The Dodge interior is by no means my favorite. I actually hate it. I have spent way to much time sitting in the back seat of one. They now have the new Aisin (sp?) auto trans and from what I've heard its pretty good. And you can't beat the Cummins engine.

By far my favorite is GM. Everybody I have talked to has had very good luck with their new Duramax trucks and said that the emissions equipment is flawless. Most don't even know that their truck is going into regen. My family has owned GM vehicles for as long as I can remember, and we have never had any major problems.

KTO Enterprises
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree with JPL. Get a pre emissions ford with the 7.3. There are tons of deals out there on very nice trucks for very little dough. There are a lot of bugs in the newer trucks. A friend of mine that does grading work just bought an F450 with the 6.4 and it has spent more time in the shop than in his possession. Just for giggles and grins I drove by the ford place and could not count the amount of 2007 and 2008 model fords in their lot waiting on repairs. Around my area the 1994-1997 truck (old body style) is a very hot comodity.

JJG84
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
i talked to a guy who had a Dodge 3500 dually, 2006 - with a cummins and he said he gets 17 mpg, and 13 mpg towing :weightlifter:

but, i have a 1997 dodge 2500 that gets 8mpg. :dizzy:

GG386
08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
All of the 08 diesel models are getting attrocious fuel mileage. With all the emission equipment bolted on on the exhaust, plus the electronics trying to manage those egt's, these poor motors don't have a chance. Fuel mileage is way down to the point that a gasser may make more sense! The future is still uncertain as to whether these new mills are going to pan out. Now, from what I understand, OTR vehicles, farm equipment, boats blah blah blah are going to be the next victims. I've never been a negative person but this whole fiasco has got me on the fence:dizzy:

KTO Enterprises
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Those old body fords never looked better!

JoshC
08-14-2007, 11:10 PM
The old 7.3 was a good engine. My girlfriend has a 99 that pulls around her horse trailer 95% of the time, and it is still going strong. The newer 6.0's also seem to be decent. But I don't know anybody with an older 6.0 that hasn't had at least 1 major problem.

I've heard of a few of the Duramax guys getting up around 15-16mpg with the new trucks, but that is still low compared to the 19-20mpg that some of them were getting with the non-emission engines.

TXNSLighting
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
The 6.4's are quite problem free down here, and with age are getting alot better fuel mileage. A good friend has a king ranch dually, and when he first got it it was getting 9 mpg highway. and now its almost to 13 highway. hes got 17000 miles on it. so thats definately helpin. over the 6.4 is turnin out to be a great engine, and talk about a puller!

zedosix
11-15-2008, 05:39 PM
The 6.4's are quite problem free down here, and with age are getting alot better fuel mileage. A good friend has a king ranch dually, and when he first got it it was getting 9 mpg highway. and now its almost to 13 highway. hes got 17000 miles on it. so thats definately helpin. over the 6.4 is turnin out to be a great engine, and talk about a puller!

I've got 8k on my truck now(thats kilometers) and on the highway (300 mile trip) at over the speed limit I got 17.2 mpg. I am impressed, and it looks kick ass too!

Lakewlc
11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
f o r d . .

TandM
11-15-2008, 08:59 PM
get you that dodge 05-07 with a 5.9 and don't look bad chances on getting a "low mileage" ford with a 7.3 are pretty most are ragged out work trucks by now ours is.

WH401
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I recommend any of the Dodge's from 03 -07 with the 5.9, just make sure any 03 you get has the 48re transmission, every truck made after 03 already has it. The new 6.7 had there quirks at first with turbos needing to be replace and EGR's plugging but alot of that is due to the fact that the 6.7 is 2010 compliant with EPA emissions. They seem to have worked out all the bugs since the 07's came out and the 08's look good. They won't get as good of mileage as the old 5.9's, but people have had it range from 10 all the way to 20. The 6.7's also have the 68re 6 speed transmission behind them which is almost the same as an Allison. The Duramax's seem to be pretty good and I have heard good things about them. The Ford's I wouldn't touch even if all the others went out of business. A 7.3 is your best bet in a Ford, but like the poster said above there probably all high mileaged by now. When the Duramax's and Ford's become 2010 compliant they'll encounter the same problems that the Cummins experienced earlier. Go test drive stuff and see what you like.

Jerry Lee
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
man its all up to u! just do the research and find which one u like more. in my opinion there both good trucks but when it comes down to it its ur money!!

TXNSLighting
11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Guys this guy hasnt been on here in a long time...

nosparkplugs
11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I recommend any of the Dodge's from 03 -07 with the 5.9, just make sure any 03 you get has the 48re transmission, every truck made after 03 already has it. The new 6.7 had there quirks at first with turbos needing to be replace and EGR's plugging but alot of that is due to the fact that the 6.7 is 2010 compliant with EPA emissions. They seem to have worked out all the bugs since the 07's came out and the 08's look good. They won't get as good of mileage as the old 5.9's, but people have had it range from 10 all the way to 20. The 6.7's also have the 68re 6 speed transmission behind them which is almost the same as an Allison. The Duramax's seem to be pretty good and I have heard good things about them. The Ford's I wouldn't touch even if all the others went out of business. A 7.3 is your best bet in a Ford, but like the poster said above there probably all high mileaged by now. When the Duramax's and Ford's become 2010 compliant they'll encounter the same problems that the Cummins experienced earlier. Go test drive stuff and see what you like.

Yep, Cummins is always ahead of the game their already 2010 compliant, and were willing to do it early before mandated. While Cummins has taken some "heat" form both loyal owners, and haters, if I was in the market for a new diesel it would be the new 6.7 ISB & 68RE behind it. I beg anyone else to tame a Cummins and fare any better over the years.

Over the years I have personally found the Ford 4R100 & Dodge 47RE,48RE to be the most reliable & biggest bang for the buck to repair slush box's

I have tore up both Ford & Dodge transmissions I must say the Cummins has far more torque, and will out tow a Ford daily, yet the 4R100 could not handle the 7.3L diesel stock.

In the stock fashion, all trucks Ford GM, GMC, Dodge will break if you look at them wrong:laugh: Just pick one their all tin cans, as my wife says you going to sleep with that truck:sleeping:

KrayzKajun
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
i love my new 6.4L ford diesel!! (i'll love it even more when i do the dpf delete)

TXNSLighting
11-19-2008, 12:03 AM
i love my new 6.4L ford diesel!! (i'll love it even more when i do the dpf delete)

ooo nice! :cool2: