PDA

View Full Version : Turning on grass or side walk/drive way? Which is best?

sedge
08-11-2007, 06:27 PM
In my brothers business we are using wright standers this year and as usual I'm being a dumb azz for not agreeing with my brother. Here is the problem or question. If you guys could give me your opinions I would surely appreciate it.

Bermuda grass, 70% lawns irrigated, 30% not.

The turn we would be using to turn on the grass is when you get the end of your run, you turn slightly right, then back up to your right while turning to point on the next area to be mowed, while directing the discharge onto the grass all the while. Kinda like a upside down bell or "V".

Or is it better to make your run to the side walk/drive way so it looks more uniform with the lines running to each location off the end of the grass? Of course most of the time, 2 of the turns would be on the grass any ways.

I don't want to say what my thoughts are, but what are the advantages or disadvantages of doing it either way?

Does it matter if some of the yards are irrigated or some are not? It is dry here right now.

Some yards (grass area) are a fair amount higher the the surrounding concrete.

thanx!

carcrz
08-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I think I understand what you are saying. The line you use as your guide & first stripe? If that's the case, it depends on what looks the best to oncoming traffic & will get the most notice from on-lookers.

sedge
08-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I think I understand what you are saying. The line you use as your guide & first stripe? If that's the case, it depends on what looks the best to oncoming traffic & will get the most notice from on-lookers.

The direction of the cut doesn't matter really as that gets changed every week so as not to rut the yard, as long as the grass area is not to narrow. What i was saying about the lines is, if you turn on the grass you don't have a cut line coming out to the concrete, because you turned on the grass. Maybe you make 2 passes around the yard first or last, that doesn't really matter. If you turn on the concrete, then your lines come all the way out.

Are there reasons to not turn on the concrete or the grass? Where do you guys make your turns and why?

Thanx again

delphied
08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
I try to turn on concrete whenever possible to only to be as gentle as possible to the grass.

Turfdude
08-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Its always more stressful for the turf to turn on it. The standers have a lot of torque & inexperienced operators don't slow down enough to properly initiate a turn & tear up lawns that way. However if a client has new concrete or newer concrete pavers, they'll complain about the black tire marks on their hard surfaces. I guess it all depends on the situation. IMHO, I always would prefer to turn on a hardscape, but if the client has new crete or pavers... fugedaboudit.

Pristine PM
08-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I prefer it if we turn on the grass so that it doesn't mess up the sidewalk with green soup if you know what I mean. I tell my workers to turn on the grass and then give it a double frame to cover the little bit that doesn't get cut perfectly when you turn on the grass. As well, when you enter and exit a lawn alot you are more likely to scape the edge if you are not careful. You also have to be careful though turning on the lawn with bigger mowers, you can easily scape that way as well.

ed2hess
08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
First off...with bermuda and Stander you can mulch so you can cover the outlet. Then simply go clockwise starting on the outside....fastest way to cut a lawn and less tear until you get to middle.

delphied
08-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I test drove a Stander and was impressed by how ez it was to turn and not tear up turf because it was ez to keep the tires rolling while turning.

bohiaa
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
If you have ever cut a football field, soccer, or baseball.

you would know that you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn on the field.

nor do you get off your stripe, even if your NOT lined up correctly,

Drew Gemma
08-11-2007, 11:39 PM
do not turn on concret it leaves tire marks wears down the tires turn on the turf pay attention it is not that hard to not tear turf. football field is diff than a home lawn each application is different I get pizzed when my guys turn and leave marks on ppls concrete

procut
08-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Its nice to turn on concrete if you can, becasue it is less stressful on the turf by minimizing the chances of tearing and can lead to a more uniform stripe. However, turning on concrete can leave black marks from the tires and grass stains. Plus it is more wear and tear on the mowers tires and more strain on the hydro pumps/wheel motors.

In conclusion, a good operator should be able to turn on the turf causing very little to no damage and still should be able to keep a good uniform stripe unless it is very tight area.

sedge
08-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Its nice to turn on concrete if you can, becasue it is less stressful on the turf by minimizing the chances of tearing and can lead to a more uniform stripe. However, turning on concrete can leave black marks from the tires and grass stains. Plus it is more wear and tear on the mowers tires and more strain on the hydro pumps/wheel motors.

In conclusion, a good operator should be able to turn on the turf causing very little to no damage and still should be able to keep a good uniform stripe unless it is very tight area.

I agree, this is Bermuda, so it doesn't stripe really. Only thing we are doing is you can see the mowing lines from the tires basically. my personal opinion is to turn on the grass. I see with going on and off of it you will have little swirl or un-even cut marks at the edges of the grass/concrete areas, where the front tires drop down or up to meet the concrete.

My brother says to just train the guys to figure what yards they can drive on and off and not make those marks. I have not had good luck in training them to just weed eat correctly let alone learning how to measure the grass to concrete height. So I am reluctant to try and teach them that also. I am just trying to get them to do every thing in a ordered systematic way of doing things now and that is hard enough.

He thinks that turning on the grass, is making the grass brown on the ends. I said if that was the case then it would be doing that at both ends and in the tire tracks. With the guys turning the way we are, I don't think we are tearing the grass at all and there are no brown tire tracks that i can see either. I mow every day and cannot say i have really noticed that and I have been called very, very "anal" when it comes to mowing. It is dry here right now, but most yards are watered.

lawnmaniac883
08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I turn on the concrete whenever possible. Its not that I cant turn on the grass but its easier and faster to turn on the concrete.

ed2hess
08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I have never seen a yard in Austin where you can run on/off the lawn onto the concrete and not have an uneven cut due to difference in levels. And we don't pay ANY attention to "stripe" on bermuda or St Augustine. Customer don't care about it....and I am real glad, but our yards on residential and commericial are so small you can't see much anyway.

lawnMaster5000
08-12-2007, 02:11 PM
It depends on the property and anyone running a mower for more than a week should be able to learn in what situations each turn is best.

Soft lawn = turn on driveway
dark concrete/black top = turn on driveway
white concrete = turn on grass
uneven height = turn on grass

On Bermuda with an uneven height transition from grass to concrete I agree with you and would turn on the grass, but it really all depends on the specifics of that turn, not even the same for a whole lawn most of the time.

swingset
08-12-2007, 03:34 PM
It depends on the property.

Precisely. I don't do my cutting or turning the same on any two accounts because of all the differences in grade, type of grass/soil and boundaries.

Every yard is its own special animal...I don't think a single method is the best for all situations or any mower for that matter. My ZTR is hard on some of the lawns I cut, even if I go slow because the soil is loose and the grass isn't very stout. Other places, I can fly and turn without even making a mark.