PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Br600 Or Redmax 8000?

delphied
08-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Im Leaning To The Stihl. What Do You Think?

Mr Priceless
08-11-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php

LawnBrother
08-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I have had the Stihl for a year and I love it. Plenty of power, lightweight, and blows yer socks off. :weightlifter:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Redmax is top heck we bought another 8000 this week,getting geared up for leaves and fall cleanup,they are all good.

joed
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I own both the Stihl and Redmax. Both are excellent but the Redmax 8000 is noticeably more powerful but a big gas hog. However, the BR600 is a lot lighter and more fuel efficient but not as powerful. For everyday use, I use the Stihl but for clean ups, especially in the fall nothing beats the Redmax.

karol
08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Redmax all the way. If you want power.

jameson
08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
One of my 8K's turned out to be a complete lemon during it's second year of service . A constant headache. My dealer went to bat for me (I was just days past my 2 yr warranty) and I got a new 8001 for my troubles.

I've never used the BR600, but I did try it on for size. It really is a comfortable and ergonomically designed unit. . . much more so than the 8K.

Considering the problems some of the BR600's and 8K's (8001 problems ?) have had, the fact that they are both powerful machines from top-notch companies. . . dealer support would sway me.

cgaengineer
08-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I have the BR600 and love it...coming from my BG85 there is simply no comparison. Today mine fired up first pull today using choke only...try that with a 2 stroke!!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Well i am close two pulls on the max one sometimes.

cgaengineer
08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Well i am close two pulls on the max one sometimes.

Well with most of the 2 strokes I have owned I have always had to pull them a few times before starting.

Scagguy
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I have a BR 600 and an Echo 755. The Stihl doesn't have quite as much power as the 755 but, it's lighter and quieter than the Echo. If my Echo died tomorrow, I'd replace it with another BR 600.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I have had several blowers over the years, with the Stihl BR 420 being the ones I have kept and enjoyed using the most.

When the new four strokes came out a few years ago I bought a BR 550 and used it for a year and a half or so and liked it more than the 420 except for size and comfort, nothing compares to the lightness and feel of a BR 420 on your back....

After about a year or so of using the 550 and hearing of how much more powerful the BR 600 was I bought one. It really was more powerful and I really liked using it last fall to help blow leaves.

A customer of mine wanted to buy a blower so he could blow leaves on his property between my visits, so I sold him my BR 600. I did this because of all the HYPE I have read on this forum about the REDMAX 8001. I figured I wanted to go try one out and if it was as badass as people here said it was I would buy one of those next.

Well since I sold my 600 in January, right at the end of the season for me, I decided to wait till sometime this season to replace it, and in the meantime I broke out my BR 420 from the toolshed and started using it again. I had forgotten how much I liked the lightweight and comfort of the 420, and after using it all spring and most of the summer I had no desire to get a new heavier blower....

But the 420 - that was bought new in 1998 and never once touched, still has orginal airfilter and sparkplug - broke down on me a few weeks ago - recoil unit busted - so I ordered a new recoil unit and decided to go ahead and get a new blower since fall will be here soon and I'd like more power to blow the leaves than the 420 can produce.

So the first thing I did was take a look in person at the REDMAX 8001. In person, in my honest opinion, the Redmax looks CHEAP. The tubes look cheaply made..... the throttle lever and handle assembly looks cheap.... the entire plastic frame work looked just plain cheap. I didn't like all the exposed stuff hanging off the engine, such as fuel lines and the airfilter assembly and the hose connecting it to the carb.

Icing on the cake was simply putting the Redmax on my back. This blower feels WAY WAY WAY heavier on your back than the Stihl BR600 does. I am not sure of the exact weight difference, but it feels significantly heavier. I can't imagine having to put this on and off your back all day long, nor wearing it for a hour or two while you blow off a large property.

Funny thing is, the Redmax blowers at this shop all had tags showing specs on them, these tags came from Redmax. They show the Redmax having less CFM's with tubes on than the Stihl BR600. And the spec does not say Average CFM, it simply said CFM with tubes and another number for without tubes. According to what Redmax is putting on their own spec sheet, the Redmax has less power than the Stihl......

I went ahead and bought another BR600. This one is newer than the last one I had. I noticed they no longer have a internal static discharge cable in the tubes, but elsewise they look the same.

After putting the Redmax blower on my back, I did not even need to hear it run. I don't care if it has more power.... It is simply too heavy, too bulky, and too cheap looking for my taste.

ed2hess
08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I have had several blowers over the years, with the Stihl BR 420 being the ones I have kept and enjoyed using the most.

When the new four strokes came out a few years ago I bought a BR 550 and used it for a year and a half or so and liked it more than the 420 except for size and comfort, nothing compares to the lightness and feel of a BR 420 on your back....

After about a year or so of using the 550 and hearing of how much more powerful the BR 600 was I bought one. It really was more powerful and I really liked using it last fall to help blow leaves.

A customer of mine wanted to buy a blower so he could blow leaves on his property between my visits, so I sold him my BR 600. I did this because of all the HYPE I have read on this forum about the REDMAX 8001. I figured I wanted to go try one out and if it was as badass as people here said it was I would buy one of those next.

Well since I sold my 600 in January, right at the end of the season for me, I decided to wait till sometime this season to replace it, and in the meantime I broke out my BR 420 from the toolshed and started using it again. I had forgotten how much I liked the lightweight and comfort of the 420, and after using it all spring and most of the summer I had no desire to get a new heavier blower....

But the 420 - that was bought new in 1998 and never once touched, still has orginal airfilter and sparkplug - broke down on me a few weeks ago - recoil unit busted - so I ordered a new recoil unit and decided to go ahead and get a new blower since fall will be here soon and I'd like more power to blow the leaves than the 420 can produce.

So the first thing I did was take a look in person at the REDMAX 8001. In person, in my honest opinion, the Redmax looks CHEAP. The tubes look cheaply made..... the throttle lever and handle assembly looks cheap.... the entire plastic frame work looked just plain cheap. I didn't like all the exposed stuff hanging off the engine, such as fuel lines and the airfilter assembly and the hose connecting it to the carb.

Icing on the cake was simply putting the Redmax on my back. This blower feels WAY WAY WAY heavier on your back than the Stihl BR600 does. I am not sure of the exact weight difference, but it feels significantly heavier. I can't imagine having to put this on and off your back all day long, nor wearing it for a hour or two while you blow off a large property.

Funny thing is, the Redmax blowers at this shop all had tags showing specs on them, these tags came from Redmax. They show the Redmax having less CFM's with tubes on than the Stihl BR600. And the spec does not say Average CFM, it simply said CFM with tubes and another number for without tubes. According to what Redmax is putting on their own spec sheet, the Redmax has less power than the Stihl......

I went ahead and bought another BR600. This one is newer than the last one I had. I noticed they no longer have a internal static discharge cable in the tubes, but elsewise they look the same.

After putting the Redmax blower on my back, I did not even need to hear it run. I don't care if it has more power.... It is simply too heavy, too bulky, and too cheap looking for my taste.

I certainly agree with your assessment on the BR420 and we have been waiting to see how the BR600 performs because weight is very important in useability. We concluded several years ago after buying two Echo 650 units that they were simply too heavy to take on/off the trailers 25 times a day and to carry around and be efficient. We bought a WB 13HP Billygoat for real heavy leaf pushing and bought more 420 units at the time. I like the packaging on the 420 it takes the daily pounding in/out of the trailer cages.

lawnboy dan
08-12-2007, 09:00 PM
ron -you should have at least tried the 8000. untill you try one -you cant imangine to power these have. i also use a sthil 400 as my daily blower but its nice to ave the power of the 8000 when you need it

cgaengineer
08-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I too looked at Redmax and thought they looked cheap...I got the BR600 without trying Redmax and feel as if I made a good decision...I like 4 strokes so much now that I just purchased a FS130.

MANOFSTIHL
08-12-2007, 10:34 PM
BTW, for you guys that like the 420 that is no longer available, I heard from a little birdy that the Stihl BR380 is about to drop 50 bucks to $299 in some areas...

mdlwn1
08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I have to laugh every time I hear this discussion. "It looks crappy"...LMAO.....If you KNOW how to use a blower to its max effiancey, and you have a lot of production..........................there was never and still isn't any other option than the redmax. One man bands tend to like the smaller ones. Larger co's just don't use anything else. "uses a lot of gas"...this one gets me..as a percentage of total operating cost...just how much is your fuel. If that extra 1/4 gallon of gas is too much when you can blow stones across an Olympic sized swimming pool cover.........I can't believe I even responded to this.........

delphied
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I cant believe you did either. Thanx so much for your insults to the rest of the people who did.

HenryB
08-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I cant believe you did either. Thanx so much for your insults to the rest of the people who did.

While he may have been a bit blunt, he's telling the truth. The power difference is enormous. Yes I've used and owned both.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-13-2007, 12:38 AM
You guys are getting the point....

The Redmax is simply too darn big, bulky and heavy.

I don't care if it has more power. I wouldn't want to have to put that beast on and off my back 15-20 times per day!

And why do the specs on both blowers - from the manufactors mind you - show the BR-600 to be the more powerful blower? Do you think Redmax would really underrate their product? Do you believe that Stihl is overrating theirs???

I still believe that alot of people relate the sound the blower is making to the amount of power it has. I have watched other LCO's that use the Redmax.... it is loud and has the typical 2 stroke wail.... a Stihl is relatively quiet and has a completely different 4 stroke sound.

I can tell you that around here in my area, the Stihl outsells the Redmax by a huge margin and most guys you see have that famous White and Orange color on their back..... and as far as the larger companies around here, almost all of them are strickly Stihl.

Price is another factor, I bought my Stihl for over a hundred dollars less than I could have gotten the Redmax for. 100$ is not a huge difference but it all adds up. I paid just under 400$ for my BR-600, out the door.

Anyway, all I can say is my Stihl dealer also sells Redmax and I put both on my back before I bought, and there is no comparison.... the Redmax is so bulky and heavy that like I said, I can't see how anyone short of maybe some ex body builder would want that much weight on and off their back all day long.

Envy Lawn Service
08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm tired... so here's the short of it...

When the 8000 came out... I looked at it and decided to pass.
I didn't like the construction or the feel. (and I still don't)

I decided to go BR600 for cycling out some Echo's.

When time came to do it again, I was still pleased with Stihl, but felt that maybe I was lucky... because I didn't think stihl had this whole 4-mix thing 'honed-in' for consistant quality.

A RedMax dealer was good enough to get me in some 8001's as soon as they started rolling off the assembly lines. Built in September 06... I liked them and took delivery in October 07.

Yes, the BR600 is lighter and quieter... and everything is tucked behind that turtle shell.

But bottom line... I haven't reached for the BR600 once since Oct. 06.
This spring I didn't even put it back on my personal truck.
No point in it being there....
If it's something worth strapping on a backpack for... I reach for the 8001 EVERY TIME.

Oh... and PS... the weight of the 8001 is no big deal. Nice shoulder straps and the waist belt make it no problem. The only place I can tell the difference is in the bottom of my feet after a long period. Otherwise, I find it more comfortable actually.... and this is coming from a guy with a BAD back. Bad-Bad.

Envy Lawn Service
08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
You guys are getting the point....

The Redmax is simply too darn big, bulky and heavy.

I don't care if it has more power. I wouldn't want to have to put that beast on and off my back 15-20 times per day!

And why do the specs on both blowers - from the manufactors mind you - show the BR-600 to be the more powerful blower? Do you think Redmax would really underrate their product? Do you believe that Stihl is overrating theirs???

I still believe that alot of people relate the sound the blower is making to the amount of power it has. I have watched other LCO's that use the Redmax.... it is loud and has the typical 2 stroke wail.... a Stihl is relatively quiet and has a completely different 4 stroke sound.

I can tell you that around here in my area, the Stihl outsells the Redmax by a huge margin and most guys you see have that famous White and Orange color on their back..... and as far as the larger companies around here, almost all of them are strickly Stihl.

Price is another factor, I bought my Stihl for over a hundred dollars less than I could have gotten the Redmax for. 100$ is not a huge difference but it all adds up. I paid just under 400$ for my BR-600, out the door.

Anyway, all I can say is my Stihl dealer also sells Redmax and I put both on my back before I bought, and there is no comparison.... the Redmax is so bulky and heavy that like I said, I can't see how anyone short of maybe some ex body builder would want that much weight on and off their back all day long.

You posted the above while I was typing my post above....

Read it.

If you bother with a backpack for everything... I can see your arguement.
I won't strap one on period... unless it's for blowing something that's worth it.

Being as I am that type... when I reach for a backpack... I want a BACKPACK... and will not reach for the BR600... not so long as the 8001 is a selection.

Power-wise... not even anywhere remotely close... AT ALL.
Air speed is similar, but that's where it ends.

Price... I'll pay an extra $100 for that much extra power any time.

Weight... once you adjust the straps to fit you... and the waist belt... it's really a non-issue. Yeah, you notice it every time when you are putting it on... but once you are saddled up, it's a non-issue... and I think you know how bad my back is....

Just Mow
08-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I have a BR 600 and an Echo 755. The Stihl doesn't have quite as much power as the 755 but, it's lighter and quieter than the Echo. If my Echo died tomorrow, I'd replace it with another BR 600.

The Stihl has a lot more power than the Echo unit you mentioned.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Envy, all I use is a backpack blower.... I can't see why anyone would use a handheld to blow the streets, driveways, sideways and porches that we typically blow off after a mowing. A handheld would be slower to use and in my opinion, hard on the wrist, tiresome. I started out using a handheld, back when I first got in the business back in 1994. I used it for a few months then switched to backpacks and I haven't looked back. The handheld now lives in a shelf in my hangar at the airport, I use it to blow out the hangar, but I would dread having to use it on my route.

Even though I am doubtful, I will go along with what some of you say about the Redmax being " FAR " more powerful than a BR-600. Heck, we could say it has twice the power of the Stihl.... In any case, the Stihl has more than enough power, and a blower that had anymore would only be more useful when blowing leaves, and even then only slightly more so. For day to day use, the BR-600 has ample power, and it is light and comfortable enough - not to mention very easy to start - that you don't get wore out over the course of the day dealing with the blowing part of your visits.

I am solo, and I am currently doing between 15-18 lawns a day on average. I need to be in and out of the lawns as fast as possible. Most of them are typical residential homes, and the blowing is a small part of my visit. I need a light blower that doesn't work me to death lugging around, one that is easy to pull the cord and get running, and easy to pick up and put on my back and that I can use without having to make adjustments or buckle straps around my waist and so on.

My old BR-420 was the perfect blower except for it just didn't have enough power. It was close to enough power, but having just a little more does make a difference in certain circumstances, such as blowing sidewalks off where the grass and dirt is higher than the surface of the sidewalk... or when there is wet grass on concrete or just large amounts of debris on the areas to be blown.

At anyrate I am very happy with the BR-600 and I just believe that for most people, it would be the better blower between the two choices being discussed here.